Should i get Maschine over an MPC?

Gio1766

The MPC is a great old skool tool that many greats from Dr. Dre,J Dilla,and Timbaland use,but its way to high,should maschine be my first option?

A Maschine sounds good, but damn not depending on a computer to make music also sounds good. I need some kinda setup if I ever had problems...Im thinking most ppl will say Maschine due to ease of use and software integration such as vsts, mixing, and less limitations...

I think it depends on what you intend to do with it. I'm a hardware guy but I'd recommend Maschine to most people if they do not plan on building up a hardware collection. Personally, I'd rather have a MPC because I had using computers for anything music-related.

just fyi, dre and dilla and timbaland used it, but it is a midi sequencer, it comes with zero sounds. So if you are under the impression that you are going to get the sounds those superproducers use you would be wrong.

You also have to consider the fact that it is a very good possibility that your Maschine will be completely outdated and useless in just a few years. If you buy a MPC you'll be able to use it for 20 years or better and not worry about a thing aside from replacing basic things.

You might want think about The Beat Thang. They just dropped the price to $699 which you can probably get even cheaper street price. It come with the software version, stand alone or vst and a gang of sounds. Has rechargeable battery so its actually mobile. The hardware specs are very nice. Has some similar features of both a hardware Mpc and Maschines. Bang for your buck seems like a nice choice.

I own a maschine and let me ask you do you plan to use ur choice with a DAW because if you do maschine is a pain in the ass to setup unless ur not changing the pitch of the drums or the notes like if I do a trap beat and I have the 808s following the melody it doesnt read the pitch info which NI needs to fix that they should of just made maschine a straight vst not a DAW because it lacks on both ends if I could do it all over again I would of got a 1000 and called it a day

Your talking about individually pitching each 808 kick right? you can do this. In the step mode. Each kick or sequenced note can be pitched individually (from the Maschine hardware). MPC is behind the times, just dig deeper and you'll find the production technique you need in the Maschine.

What is a dirty sounding west coast beat? Like Madlib tracks? Georgia Anne Muldrow tracks?

Maschine is a sampler first, so you can load your own dirty sounds or sample them into the software. The sound you get will be primarily a result of your input and not the equipment. Maschine is a more versatile sound design tool than the MPC given the amount of effects that come stock. With an MPC, you would need to use other tools to EQ and effect your samples. The MPC also requires multi track recording (also known as "tracking out") when you want to mix individual elements of your beat in a DAW. For many people this means additional equipment i.e. larger audio interface with 8 analog inputs, midi interface for midi sync, audio cable snake, etc.

If you are just starting out and don't own a lot of equipment, Maschine is an easy choice. One caveat of Maschine is that it is software based, and requires a current Mac or Windows OS to work. I would recommend that you keep a system that is dedicated to running your current set of software titles, because once you update your OS some of your applications may no longer be compatible.

Absolutely you should and dont let anybody tell you otherwise

8 years ago I was against software over hardware and a huge MPC advocate. Back then we didn't have as great of software setups as we do now. I reluctantly traded my MPC for a maschine. At first I thought it was a bad move, but it was the single greatest thing I ever did.

I still love MPCs and you can rock them even today, but I can make a song faster and harder on a maschine

I'd only go with the MPC if I'm willing to purchase more standalone hardware. You can achieve the same swing and sound in the mpc with maschine with some tweaking fairly easily

"I think Maschine is a really great tool for producers who want to throw their MPCs in the garbage." Flying Lotus

Back