Thread: Yamahah rm1x sequencer, do i keep it?

steevo is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Yamahah rm1x sequencer, do i keep it?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey all!

I picked up a YAMAHAH RM1X SEQUENCER for $100 AUS.
    It was just an impulse buy at a cash n carry store.
    I really have no idea why I bought the thing really? all the knobs? buttons? the cool blue colour? big screen? F knows?

I already own an MPC 1000 and a S3000XL.
    This is how I've been rollin for the last 2 - 3 years.
    I have mucked around with the RM1X once or twice and its been on the shelf ever since.

The main thing I dont like about it, it dont sample, but hey I already own two samplers, doh!

I make hip hop beats and get my sounds from the crates.
    The sounds in the RM1X are dance orientated, plus pretty cheesy I must say, very 90's electro sort of?

Anyway enough of the blabber! DO I HANG ON TO THIS THING FOR THE SEQUENCER?
    I have heard its the bomb! once you get all the midi sorted with external gear eg... s3000xl.
    I feel I havent really given the thing a chance because I'm so used to working on the MPC.
    I also feel its just another thing I gotta find time to learn etc...

What do you guys think??? KEEP IT and give it a go? or SELL IT off and buy more vinyl?

Thanks peeps!

Peace from OZ!

Steevo.

krushing is offline Moderator
    Thanks
    The sequencer is great! Also some unusual features there such as the MIDI delay effect...but if you can do what you want to with the MPC, I guess there isn't much point to it, as no one keeps the RM1X for the sounds alone...but I'd probably stick with it for a while and try to incorporate it; see how it works for you.

ego killer is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    if you had a sampler with a crappy sequencer like a roland sp or a microsampler it would make sense, i agree try it out but it's ultimately not necessary, it could give you some cool sounds though.

hollandturbine is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    The main strength of the RM1X is it's sequencer and on the fly shit like the play effects, the internal sounds could be considered to be a little cheesy but some of the drum sounds are quite alright, it even has shit that sounds like it was lifted from the Amen break and having a TR-808 style step sequencer is also kind of neat, I have recently been making a Cubase MIDI device panel for the RM1X and the bulk of the parameters belong to the effects section and that's a good way to beef up some of the sounds.

Thread Information