Why do people buy?

Renaissance31 said:
MP's and MV's are cool, but they're no match for the SP-303. 26 On-Board effects AND up to 33 minutes of quality samples? Come on, the future is now people.
lol and 1 sequencer track.

Again, how does getting a hardware sampler equate to "stepping your game up?" and...Chevy all day!

Xabiton said:
^^I am still loving my Roland. I slept with it like a teddy bear last night lol

Roland is good stuff, but I would have got a yamaha, you already got enough Roland

i only had my juno tho. theres no such thing as too much roland. i have 2 roland boards an ensoniq board and an akai sampler. Oh and Reason 3 and Sonar Im a slut lol. Next up Reason 4 monitors and a new video card lol

Last edited:
Say what you want. MPC's are my preference. And I use both, mac & pc, hardware and software. Amazing that some people know it all, and no one can have an opinion! I've been making beats since 1987.

Xabiton said:
i only had my juno tho. theres no such thing as too much roland. i have 2 roland boards an ensoniq board and an akai sampler. Oh and Reason 3 and Sonar Im a slut lol. Next up Reason 4 monitors and a new video card lol

next up for me....nothing.....probably sell the karma, maybe a new drum pedal......unless i catch someone selling a dirt cheap Studio Electronics SE-1

Xabiton said:
lol and 1 sequencer track.

For goodness sake...can someone give me a REAL reason why more than one track is important ? I know they only time ive ever needed more than one was when I was sequencing external midi gear.

Chosen One said:
Correct, funny I realized I made that mistake just after I posted that. A Motif, Fantom, Triton are all in one machines, where as the MV's and MPC's are drum machine/sequencer/samplers. I'm a crate digger so finsing sounds is easy, I never use or rely on synths. I'd say without a doubt if your strictly sample based MPC's or MV's are the way to go

Umm you obviously know jack ish about the MV. its more of an all in one than the Fantom or the others are by a country mile. The only thing it lacks is keys which is remedied with a midi board.

To even compare the MV to any of the MPC's shoes a lack of knowledge of the MV.

The MPC's are what you thinkthey are.

The MV is not.

and is more than those synths/Romplers you mentioned.

No it isn't as good a Rompler as those boards, but as far as "all in one" the MV is closer to any of the machines you mention.

I won the MV and have owned four of the five peices of gear you mentioned .

Dj Frantic said:
For goodness sake...can someone give me a REAL reason why more than one track is important ? I know they only time ive ever needed more than one was when I was sequencing external midi gear.
how can i use multiple midi instruments with only a midi input and 1 sequencer track? I am limited to only what I sample into the machine with this method. If I wanted to play keys and use it as a simple drum machine its a no go. If there is a way around this Id love to know but this machine is mad limited. I rarely just use one device.

youngjboy said:
next up for me....nothing.....probably sell the karma, maybe a new drum pedal......unless i catch someone selling a dirt cheap Studio Electronics SE-1
the SE 1 just seems sexy. i kinda want one but no space

Sparrow said:
Umm you obviously know jack ish about the MV. its more of an all in one than the Fantom or the others are by a country mile. The only thing it lacks is keys which is remedied with a midi board.

To even compare the MV to any of the MPC's shoes a lack of knowledge of the MV.

The MPC's are what you thinkthey are.

The MV is not.

and is more than those synths/Romplers you mentioned.

No it isn't as good a Rompler as those boards, but as far as "all in one" the MV is closer to any of the machines you mention.

I won the MV and have owned four of the five peices of gear you mentioned .
care to go more into depth with this?

Last edited:
Yeah, that SE-1 sounds tight. I been keeping my eyes peeled for someone getting off of one cheap. Battlecat said he uses one. I wondered what he was using to get those dope as basslines

GoodMoney said:
I wanna know why I gotta take a **** after I just came out da shower...

u ain't eating right. and that hot shower (no homo) prolly loosened up your bowel movements or some ****. no homo.

ay sparrow man, don;t even waste your time. the MV is something that's gotta be used for a long period before you start understand why it ****s completely and utterly on the MPCs. UTTERLY!!

Last edited:
Sparrow said:
what part of it?
all of it.

youngjboy said:
Yeah, that SE-1 sounds tight. I been keeping my eyes peeled for someone getting off of one cheap. Battlecat said he uses one. I wondered what he was using to get those dope as basslines
damn you and your craigslist shopping triton finding bay living ass lol.

lvngdead said:
u ain't eating right. and that hot shower (no homo) prolly loosened up your bowel movements or some ****. no homo.

ay sparrow man, don;t even waste your time. the MV is something that's gotta be used for a long period before you start understand why it ****s completely and utterly on the MPCs. UTTERLY!!
i dont disagree that the mv does a lot more. i havent owned one but when used side by side i enjoyed and preferred the mpcs simplicity over the mv. They are straight forward drum machines. Then again I am not an all in one kind of guy.

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
how can i use multiple midi instruments with only a midi input and 1 sequencer track? I am limited to only what I sample into the machine with this method. If I wanted to play keys and use it as a simple drum machine its a no go. If there is a way around this Id love to know but this machine is mad limited. I rarely just use one device.

Ya, If your using midi instruments then it makes sense and a RSP is not for you. Im talkin about cats like myself that just sample tho.

I got the 404 and when i wanna mix and add midi i just track it all into Reaper. The one track sequencer isn't that bad, you can still mute the parts you want. I can see why people want the deluxe stuff though, you don't have to do all that workaround stuff.

Dj Frantic said:
Ya, If your using midi instruments then it makes sense and a RSP is not for you. Im talkin about cats like myself that just sample tho.
im assuming RSP is Roland SP. I like the sp606 but I wish it had more sequencer tracks but if u only sample then it will get the job done. If the other sps had midi in out and thru i wouldnt have an issue with one track because i could always run them into another sequencer but not having the option is a bummer.

Trenchant said:
I got the 404 and when i wanna mix and add midi i just track it all into Reaper. The one track sequencer isn't that bad, you can still mute the parts you want. I can see why people want the deluxe stuff though, you don't have to do all that workaround stuff.
im a hardware head more or but I dont need the delux stuff either. i am just saying for less money or even the same money u can get more options if u look around at some vintage stuff. I hate that the newer stuff thats aimed at people with less money tends to be horrible.

Last edited:
sampling hardware devices should drop their prices dramatically, since pc and specially laptops are used every day more and more for those purposes.

The roland sp 808, despite its age, still being one of the best options on hardware samplers. Around $300/350 and it kicks ass...

Back