What do you need 2 make beats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Kool-aid, Some Chicken, And Some Inpiration....a Lil Pusy Wouldnt Hurt Either

For sample-based hip hop your equipment can be very simple, because you are relying on your creativity.

The basic creative tools are nothing more than:

1. drum machine or sequencer (to "control" your sampler)

2. sampler (to record, edit, program samples)

3. audio source (from which to record samples

And if you're keeping things really simple, you can just run the outputs from the sampler straight into an auxilliary input on your Hi-Fi amplifier.

Are there any specific programs you like? I'm just now getting into making beats, so I have no idea what kind there are. Also, I'm not really looking to spend over $1000.

Thanks and sorry to ressurect this old thread.

All u need is a mac they have a good one thats $1000,Logic thats $499 and a virtual mpc (only works on macs) $32.00 does everything the real one does and your now a pro. Good luck have fun!

Are there any specific programs you like? I'm just now getting into making beats, so I have no idea what kind there are. Also, I'm not really looking to spend over $1000.

Thanks and sorry to ressurect this old thread.
that post is over 6 years old this guy is long gone if u want to know about some current stuff just make a new thread

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

All u need is a mac they have a good one thats $1000,Logic thats $499 and a virtual mpc (only works on macs) $32.00 does everything the real one does and your now a pro. Good luck have fun!
actually for when this thread was made the equipment mentioned is fairly accurate. Keep in mind this thread is 9 years old. Now all you need is a basic BS pc, Reason and a cheap midi controller and you can get a lot done for way less and spend that g you were gonna spend on a mac and use it towards an audio interface and some montiors

Give me a multi-timbral keyboard/workstation with 16 tracks, 500 or more included presets, ability to load samples, & expansion slots....

GF

just invest in a mac and run Logic...Get some decent studio monitors look for older monitors like some Events 20/20's or Ps8's real good for hip hip...go with a cheap midi controller from ebay and your set..if you plan on makin it far stay away from hardware kuz evrything in the game right now is software...so learn and master the software then later learn hardware just for the hell of it becuase Logic+ vsts's such Native Instruments ..will blow any keyboard or drum machine out there..even if you sample buy recycle chop up in there then export into logic..nd bang out ...

just invest in a mac and run Logic...Get some decent studio monitors look for older monitors like some Events 20/20's or Ps8's real good for hip hip...go with a cheap midi controller from ebay and your set..if you plan on makin it far stay away from hardware kuz evrything in the game right now is software...so learn and master the software then later learn hardware just for the hell of it becuase Logic+ vsts's such Native Instruments ..will blow any keyboard or drum machine out there..even if you sample buy recycle chop up in there then export into logic..nd bang out ...
Hardware isnt dead yet lol. Sure some vst soundbanks are better than a lot of hardware soundbanks and software has way more features but there is still some great hardware out there. Hardware is better when ti comes to getting ideas out quickly. For the pure creative process its up in the air I wouldnt write either side off personally

No piece of equipment can ever compensate for your imagination. On that note..you're still going to need equipment to get your ideas out. Any sampler, whether it is digital/software or hardware like an MPC. Midi controllers if you want a hardware feel to combine with software and etc.

You need all of this! and maybe one day you'll be as good as this guy.:p

Gear alone won't do it! If it did it would be the case here- and this is a serious home setup. Loading up at the starting stage like this can only overwhelm a beginner.

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/CeT5ekHof7c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

<object width="440" height="185">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/2Y1n_Am5mNc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
all you need is reason 4.0 and a m-audio midi keyboard and a computer all less then a 1000$ visit propellerhead.com it will change your life that's a fact.

all you need is reason 4.0 and a m-audio midi keyboard and a computer all less then a 1000$ visit propellerhead.com it will change your life that's a fact.

You still need an audio card and monitors cheaper solution is reaper and a cheap keyboard like a mirage a pc and interface n monitors costs less than your combo

here's some advice,

Check the music of anybody that offers you any "matter of fact" production advice, lol. Cuts down on a lot of hearsay, lol!! I've heard joints from people with an sp303 and turntable that make heat, and heard some people with mpc4000's protools hd and the Diamond bundle that make trash beats with 808's and tripple time 909 hi-hats everywhere. What you "need" to start is relative.

It's less about choosing hardware or software and more about choosing the best workflow for you.

Essentially, the answer to the question (what do I need to start making beats) is something that triggers, processes and sequences sound. But broader answer is whatever inspires you to want to make beats. try out some programs, try out some hardware, compare, contrast, combine. figure out which one provides the least "hassle". also listen to your musical influences and figure out how they do it. That may walk you right to your desired setup.

Last edited:
if you want to go with hardware i would suggest getting a all in one thing like a fantom x or anny workstaion that has a sampler in it such as korg m3,korg triton extreme(ebay) or a motif sx.But these keyboards will still cost quiet a bit of money anywere from 600 to 1800 which is why most begginers start off with reason or some other software.Reason is pretty good but alot of its sounds do sound kinda flat and very toyish which is why ill never buy it but it will get you were you need to be without breaking your wallet.Hardware vs software is a toughh choice but depending on who much your willing to spend is what you need to be asking yourself to find the best equipment for you.

p.s.if you want to never buy anther piece of hardware again and future proff on sounds i would look in to buy a neko from open labs which are computers made into a keyboard.These boards are very expensive and you can buy a more powerful computer for way less but these boards come with every thing that is compatable and is alreay stocked with alot of sounds.If you looking for a no problem scenerio were you just wanna make beats with not worrying about drop outs,wires,clutter then get a neko.

if you want to go with hardware i would suggest getting a all in one thing like a fantom x or anny workstaion that has a sampler in it such as korg m3,korg triton extreme(ebay) or a motif sx.But these keyboards will still cost quiet a bit of money anywere from 600 to 1800 which is why most begginers start off with reason or some other software.Reason is pretty good but alot of its sounds do sound kinda flat and very toyish which is why ill never buy it but it will get you were you need to be without breaking your wallet.Hardware vs software is a toughh choice but depending on who much your willing to spend is what you need to be asking yourself to find the best equipment for you.

p.s.if you want to never buy anther piece of hardware again and future proff on sounds i would look in to buy a neko from open labs which are computers made into a keyboard.These boards are very expensive and you can buy a more powerful computer for way less but these boards come with every thing that is compatable and is alreay stocked with alot of sounds.If you looking for a no problem scenerio were you just wanna make beats with not worrying about drop outs,wires,clutter then get a neko.
what funny about this is that most people are selling their workstations for things like reason that sound "toyish".

as a beginner i gotta say i think a neko is massive overkill for a beginner.

I think you should compare some of the following -

Software:

FL Studio
Acid Pro
Ableton Live
Reason
Reaper (used in conjunction w/ Maschine or an MPC)

Hardware:

MPC 1000 (w/ JJOS)
Maschine (which is more of a hardware/software combo)

Maschine+Reaper+MIDI controller can do a LOT. Maschine+Ableton+MIDI controller can do even more, though Ableton costs many times more than Reaper.

Also some kind of audio interface, depending on what type of computer you have.

You could spend $60 on Reaper, $150 on a basic MIDI controller, and then get some plugins and have a pretty great setup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back