Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: were will hardware production stand in the future?

  1. #21
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,834
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Casso View Post
    I've seen some of your savvy types do it but I think some of the older not as computer literate guys are probably scared to. If I was playing out live an 88-key controller, MBP and MainStage would definitely be a nice option.
    I could understand that. Though its weird to think about because a workstation is a computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngjboy View Post
    I consider myself computer savvy and still wouldnt go with a controller and laptop as first choice. I would be willing to try, but I would be looking at things like reliability also. Workstations don't tend to freeze, reboot, etc, and some keyboard setups are just easier to use on stage, then a controller/software.
    Get the right software and it won't freeze, reboot, ect either. That's actually why I mentioned Reason because in the almost 10 years I have used it I can count on one hand how many times I have had real issues with it stability wise. I can understand that povthough.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Cool View Post
    I'm actually going back to an MPC after taking 2 years off and sequencing in my DAW. I could get by w/o it, but it just feels all uncoordinated like a right handed pitcher trying to throw with his left hand. Its all personal preference, I grew up on the MPC so of course that is what I"m most comfortable with.
    Yeah it really takes some getting used to both ways. When I was using all hardware it felt awkward at first to do everything on just the hardware then I grew to love it but missed some of the things that were just easier on software based tools like sample chopping for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by tReHoLLa View Post
    these workstations are kind of overrated but they aren't. they teach you all aspects of music production. it's completely different from pointing and clicking.

    synthesizers are where its at. and workstations and mpc's and all that will always have value because it's like a classic car.

    sure there are plenty of electric cars on the market, and eventually we'll get solar cars, but there are some people who will always stick to classic "Muscle cars" because you can't put a price on feel.

    that's why an mpc will always smash on these mpd's and maschines. the mpc 2500, 1000 and 5000 series with the direct record takes your music to a different level. i went from about a five to about an 8 in terms of how i see myself musically.

    tens are timbalands, neptunes, kanye's

    elevens are michael jackson, hendrix, quincy jones, curtis mayfield., dilla
    im pushing for an 11. ive got some bonafide nines and even a few tens, but i wanna be an 11.

    it's like playing an rpg and finally leveling up.

    why pay 2000 for a macbook when you can get a pc for about a quarter of that price.

    computers get outdated every two months.
    I've owned and worked on both hardware and software workstations. They aren't that different to be honest. Software forces you to learn how to match that sound u get from hardware by doing it by hand with your own layers and fx but hardware really makes you learn how to use what you have unless u have money to own a lot of different synths, samplers ect. I think software offers some things that are great and so does hardware but I sold almost all of my hardware off and the stuff I kept I don't even use. I am making more and better music with software for the most part.

  2. #22
    youngjboy Guest
    Hardware to the end!!!!!

    Naw, real talk, at times I wish I was on software when you have multiple boards/racks and the routing gets difficult. I do like the stock Maschine sounds so I think I would like Komplete. Ironically, at times if i find myself trying to do most of everything in 1 workstation even though I have multiple boards and racks. I may try doing some all software stuff. I still like to have at least one board around just to fire up and play. Truthfully I don't need full blown stations since I have a MPC to sequence/sample.

    I may just give software a go. It wouldn't be totally foreign, as I use to sequence in Cubase, but used hardware for the sounds. Now it would just be sequence in Cubase using plugins for the sounds.

  3. #23
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,834
    I think if you like sequencing in Cubase already then you probably would like plug ins. Its very load and go if you get the right libraries.

  4. #24
    hollandturbine is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Xabiton View Post
    I could understand that. Though its weird to think about because a workstation is a computer.
    The main difference is that a workstation is a computer with a low latency real time operating system and zero latency monitoring.

  5. #25
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,834
    Quote Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
    The main difference is that a workstation is a computer with a low latency real time operating system and zero latency monitoring.
    I haven't had an issue with latency since like 2003. Honestly never felt the difference between hardware and software as far as that is concerned. Even so we are talking fractions of milliseconds. When I was on all hardware it didn't feel much different if any. Definitely not enough worth talking about.
    likes this.

  6. #26
    hollandturbine is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Xabiton View Post
    I haven't had an issue with latency since like 2003. Honestly never felt the difference between hardware and software as far as that is concerned. Even so we are talking fractions of milliseconds. When I was on all hardware it didn't feel much different if any. Definitely not enough worth talking about.
    I think you meant to say fraction of a second but I get your point, if you can't feel any difference then it's a non issue for you, however that does not mean that everyone feels the same way, for example if you are playing live you don't need to be adding unnecessary latency to that of the speakers.

  7. #27
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,834
    Quote Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
    I think you meant to say fraction of a second but I get your point, if you can't feel any difference then it's a non issue for you, however that does not mean that everyone feels the same way, for example if you are playing live you don't need to be adding unnecessary latency to that of the speakers.
    There is a difference just not enough to make a valid argument imo. To each his own I guess but I don't see how this could affect your performance.
    likes this.

  8. #28
    deanlofts's Avatar
    deanlofts is offline Cubase Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    5,822
    The 5ms latency I get from my audio card isn't noticeable at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by alkota View Post
    Everyone is too worried about selling themselves before they even have a product that anyone wants.

  9. #29
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,834

  10. #30
    hollandturbine is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Xabiton View Post
    There is a difference just not enough to make a valid argument imo. To each his own I guess but I don't see how this could affect your performance.
    Often when I play I experience Tachpsychia and my concentration is so intense that I can perceive more delay with software as opposed to monitoring hardware but the slight latency of software is not going to be a big deal to everyone, but it just happens to be one of the few advantages that hardware really does have over software......the funny thing is that a lot of guys who use hardware such as an MPC tend to quantize their shit just the same as folks who use software.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A3E sponsorship event box

Check out A3E in Boston!