Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: were will hardware production stand in the future?

  1. #11
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,842
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Casso View Post
    Hardware will always be around. Some people simply just prefer hardware.
    Sure some will but I highly doubt workstations will be. Look at how often they are coming out with new hardware workstations these days. They seem few and far in between as opposed to software not to mention the price difference for the same sort of functions and often times more for a lot less. Analog synths sure I get that but digital hardware (Motifs, Fantoms, Mpcs, Tritons, Kronos, Jupiter 80s) idk how much longer they have.

    ---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup View Post
    You can get an MPC for under $300 these days, Turntables for $99, Older Keyboard workstations for under $200. I think that will make alot of new to hardware guys start accumulating gear. It's no longer a need, but I see hardware coming back in a nostalgic type of way. All it takes is some big hit from some young producer who uses an MPC, a few EMU Racks and a Roland XP 50 and next thing you know, everyone who wants to be a producer with $1000 to invest will try to get as close to the same setup as possible.
    lol that's kinda true. I remember wanting a Triton back in the day at first because I heard the Neptunes used one (like 2002) then after trying one that is when I really fell in love. Never did buy one though.

  2. #12
    P. Casso's Avatar
    P. Casso is offline Audio addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where I'm @
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I see your point but you have think about users other than our types. Keyboard players can be some of the pickiest bastards in the world. In truth most sequencers in keyboard workstations are very lacking compared to software DAWs. I stopped sequencing on my MPC years ago but have been using it as an overpriced MPD since but I can never bring myself to sell it. Even with Maschine and the new MPC being able to load MPC files I still would rather hold on to it. The Jupiter 80 (though very overpriced) is a great buy for a live keyboard player, beatmakers not so much as there are a million other ways to spend you money. If you buy a piece of hardware you have it forever as long as you take care of it. Software gives you more bang for the buck but you only have it as long as you have a compatible system around.

    I will admit that a great majority of beatmakers buy hardware for the wrong reasons.
    likes this.
    I saw a girl texting & driving the other day & it really made me mad, so I rolled down my window & threw my whiskey flask at her.

  3. #13
    deanlofts's Avatar
    deanlofts is offline Cubase Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    5,823
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Casso View Post
    have been using it as an overpriced MPD
    Have you been reading my threads from 2008? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by alkota View Post
    Everyone is too worried about selling themselves before they even have a product that anyone wants.

  4. #14
    Xabiton's Avatar
    Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    37,842
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Casso View Post
    I see your point but you have think about users other than our types. Keyboard players can be some of the pickiest bastards in the world. In truth most sequencers in keyboard workstations are very lacking compared to software DAWs. I stopped sequencing on my MPC years ago but have been using it as an overpriced MPD since but I can never bring myself to sell it. Even with Maschine and the new MPC being able to load MPC files I still would rather hold on to it. The Jupiter 80 (though very overpriced) is a great buy for a live keyboard player, beatmakers not so much as there are a million other ways to spend you money. If you buy a piece of hardware you have it forever as long as you take care of it. Software gives you more bang for the buck but you only have it as long as you have a compatible system around.

    I will admit that a great majority of beatmakers buy hardware for the wrong reasons.
    I am honestly not sure why more keyboard players do not use software on stage. I see them every so often but it is rare. I think having a laptop and Reason or something like that that is stable as hell and just works well would be great on stage.

  5. #15
    youngjboy Guest
    I don't think I would want to use a controller and laptop on stage to replace a keyboard, but I don't disagree that software has its advantages. I like the hybrid formula of a hardware feel with software flexibility. I mean as a Mpc 2500 owner I can be real and say that a waveform can be cut in software much faster.

    I like the Mpc ren angle where even though it is software, it has the same mpc main window and feel.

  6. #16
    P. Casso's Avatar
    P. Casso is offline Audio addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where I'm @
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xabiton View Post
    I am honestly not sure why more keyboard players do not use software on stage. I see them every so often but it is rare. I think having a laptop and Reason or something like that that is stable as hell and just works well would be great on stage.
    I've seen some of your savvy types do it but I think some of the older not as computer literate guys are probably scared to. If I was playing out live an 88-key controller, MBP and MainStage would definitely be a nice option.
    I saw a girl texting & driving the other day & it really made me mad, so I rolled down my window & threw my whiskey flask at her.

  7. #17
    youngjboy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Casso View Post
    I've seen some of your savvy types do it but I think some of the older not as computer literate guys are probably scared to. If I was playing out live an 88-key controller, MBP and MainStage would definitely be a nice option.
    I consider myself computer savvy and still wouldnt go with a controller and laptop as first choice. I would be willing to try, but I would be looking at things like reliability also. Workstations don't tend to freeze, reboot, etc, and some keyboard setups are just easier to use on stage, then a controller/software.

  8. #18
    B-Cool's Avatar
    B-Cool is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Going back to hardware

    I'm actually going back to an MPC after taking 2 years off and sequencing in my DAW. I could get by w/o it, but it just feels all uncoordinated like a right handed pitcher trying to throw with his left hand. Its all personal preference, I grew up on the MPC so of course that is what I"m most comfortable with.

  9. #19
    P. Casso's Avatar
    P. Casso is offline Audio addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where I'm @
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngjboy View Post
    I would be willing to try, but I would be looking at things like reliability also. Workstations don't tend to freeze, reboot, etc, and some keyboard setups are just easier to use on stage, then a controller/software.
    True. You would definitely have to make sure you laptop is running well. I've seen some hilarious scenarios during DJ sets involving crashing.
    I saw a girl texting & driving the other day & it really made me mad, so I rolled down my window & threw my whiskey flask at her.

  10. #20
    tReHoLLa is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brea, California
    Posts
    545
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    folks are buggin

    these workstations are kind of overrated but they aren't. they teach you all aspects of music production. it's completely different from pointing and clicking.

    synthesizers are where its at. and workstations and mpc's and all that will always have value because it's like a classic car.

    sure there are plenty of electric cars on the market, and eventually we'll get solar cars, but there are some people who will always stick to classic "Muscle cars" because you can't put a price on feel.

    that's why an mpc will always smash on these mpd's and maschines. the mpc 2500, 1000 and 5000 series with the direct record takes your music to a different level. i went from about a five to about an 8 in terms of how i see myself musically.

    tens are timbalands, neptunes, kanye's

    elevens are michael jackson, hendrix, quincy jones, curtis mayfield., dilla
    im pushing for an 11. ive got some bonafide nines and even a few tens, but i wanna be an 11.

    it's like playing an rpg and finally leveling up.

    why pay 2000 for a macbook when you can get a pc for about a quarter of that price.

    computers get outdated every two months.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!