SP Series vs. MPC Series

So I have around 550 bucks or so to spend. I am considering on either purchasing the SP 555 or the MPC 1000. I will be purchasing used.

I would like to be able to use it for live shows along with making my own songs and samples through my computer and the sampler.

my first question:
The effects on the SP 555 are considered much better than the ones on the MPC 1000, but the MPC 1000 is considered to have better specifications otherwise. Is it possible to emulate the SP 555 effects on the MPC or does it not work like that?

my second question:
for purely live shows, which one is better?

Thanks in advance.

There is really no way to emulate the SP effects on the MPC because the SP has way more effects than the MPC. I actually use my SP505 to sample (because of the warm sound and the effects) and then sequence in the MPC.

For you second question, it's all about personal preference. Some people swear by the SP because of all of the live effects that they can throw on the music and the fact that it is so many banks to put music on. It's all up to the individual though...hope that helped a lil..lol

The issue that im having is that i am not sure which one to prefer and I will be purchasing used, so i can't just return it if i don't like it and try the other. I don't know if I need the effects or not, but I know that I need the better live sampler.

Suggestions?

had the sp505 the sp series has a more diverse range of fx but they sound very cheap and tacky which can be useful.

but the mpc1k fx while there are less of them the quality is alot more plush

the way i break it down is this:

the mpc will always be ur more COMPLETE machine for STUDIO use. so if you are looking for a machine that will be your centerpiece for your production studio then the MPC is your machine, cuz it has the best sequencer ive ever seen in hardware. the sequencer is precise, always on point, never hiccups, great feel, can sequence midi and all that other good stuff. i feel the sequencer is its biggest strength.
when it comes to sampling on the MPC, it can sample things just fine and you can edit them through the wave editor and chop them and all. but to me it seems to take too many steps, too many flipping through menus in order to sample something and edit it. not too bad, but not the best for my type of workflow.

the SP series is almost the complete opposite of this. i speak particularly of the 404 as that is what i have the most experience with. sampling is quick, easy, and fast on the SP. not only that, once u record a sample, u can use its effects to mangle the sound however u want which is very fun and cool which the MPC cannot touch. so sampling and creation of sounds is very easy to do on the SP, opposite of the MPC. however, the SP sequencers are usually pretty limited. u may get like a 4 track sequencer at best, vs the MPC's 64 or 99 or unlimited or watever it is.
so the SP is good in the studio as a pure sampler - to create new sounds out of existing sounds - the SP is great at that, which the MPC isnt. but the SP's not gonna be ur centerpiece as it cant do everything well. it is great for live use, as its easy to sample sounds on the fly and capture them as loops too.

use the SP + MPC together, u got urself a perfect setup to compliment each other!

Last edited:
get an SP & learn sequencing & such, then step up to the MPC

get an SP & learn sequencing & such, then step up to the MPC

It doesn't work like that. If you know how to work with an SP, you surely don't need an MPC to step up to. All you might need is a neat 4-track or 8-track recorder to go with your SP to expand your sequencing options.

FX of the SP are superior, sampling is great and while sequencing doesn't provide you with as many tracks as an MPC would, you will be able to make true beats.

I'm glad people are more positive about the SP series these days, as lots of MPC fanboys tend to look at them as cheap toys.

In my opinion it's like this;

mpc= too expensive and overrated for what they are, not (good) enough FX, but you'll get more tracks and a more sophisticated sequencer, meaning making music will feel a bit less limited.

sp= the better sampler with excellent FX, very useful in live situations, limited sequencer, but you obviously can make the exact same music with them.

In the end it's rather stupid to even want to compare these machines if specs alone don't give enough clues as to which gear to go with.

With the right amount of skill I can assure you, any beat veteran will be able to use say a very limited RS7000 and totally blow an MPC-made beat apart.

you can make beats with silverware & macaroni boxes, I was telling dude that he should get both so he can have cake & ice cream, he'll just have to save a little longer or get an ASR, which is pretty adequate at both

I have an mpc and an SP.

If you get an mpc i'd reccomend getting a 2000 or a 3000. The new mpcs are just too cheap and poorly made for my liking.

If you decide on an sp i'd get the 505. It's a cool, if a little limited machine. It also has a screen which is a help. Makes beatmaking fun and challenging. I can just pick up and start making loops. At the moment i prefer using my sp to make beats. What i don't like about the sp is the sequencing and not being able to sample while i listen to my beat.

Oh yeah, DON'T GET AN SP JUST BECAUSE MADLIB AND DILLA USED ONE!

Last edited:
If you get an mpc i'd reccomend getting a 2000 or a 3000. The new mpcs are just too cheap and poorly made for my liking.

I had a 2000, my 2500 is built pretty much the exact same, except it's smaller lighter and makes less heat.

mpc is thebest

I have a mpc 2000 xl 32 megs wit flash ram and 250 zip drive for sale $500 im in char.nc 28212 704-606-5552 i can txt you video of the unit working it comes wit gig bag and maunals

If you decide on an sp i'd get the 505. It's a cool, if a little limited machine. It also has a screen which is a help. Makes beatmaking fun and challenging. I can just pick up and start making loops. At the moment i prefer using my sp to make beats.

Don't underestimate the SPs without a screen though. It might take a bit more skills to get the chopping done, but sequencing with or without screen really makes no difference when your timing is good. Add the quantize and even a just mediocre timing will be fine for an SP. Those SPs are perhaps the best way to get a good feel for making pattern based beats. It takes effort either way.

What i don't like about the sp is the sequencing and not being able to sample while i listen to my beat.
Some of the SP series certainly are much more limited in the sequencer departement, the SP-404 only has a single track sequencer. But to be honest, that's not stopping the users from making full beats.

Obviously the FX on the SP are lightyears ahead compared to those on the MPC. The only MPC with mildly impressive FX is the MPC5000 abomination. :p

Last edited:
Back