"punchiest" drums

R

rarzo

What's up all, I need the opinion of experimented hip hop producers.

What sampler (hardware or sampler) do you recommend in terms of making your drums sound punchy (i.e. snares are in your face and make you blink at high volume, bass drums are earth shaking, hi hats are sweet but have character, etc). Give me your single choice, the reason why (i.e. better sound manipulation, better ad/da, better filters, etc.). I would like the opinion of those who have had experiences with many pieces of gear (i.e. sorry, I do want the opinion of an MPC user who has only used MPC all his life, u would understand why...biasness!). Thanks.

one

Correction: I meant I do NOT want the opinion of an MPC ( or other gear) user who has used only an MPC (or other gear) throughout his productions years.

If you will give me your top choice, give me the reasons also. Thanks. An example not to follow is like the "gentleman" who posted the 1st reply. Very classy by the way bro, we all appreciate wise-*ss comments posted by bitter producers (hint hint, sarcasm).

rarzo said:

the "gentleman" who posted the 1st reply. Very classy by the way bro, we all appreciate wise-*ss comments posted by bitter producers (hint hint, sarcasm).

who the **** are you? no ones gonna help you now homeboy

theres a sampler called EQuing. Its good putting out punchiest drums!!!!

You ask a question and then sh!t on a dude that answers. The fact is that the mpc's along with the akai s series samplers are favored just for what your asking. and yes I have use other samplers before. Are their other choices but mpc's are good at it and have one of the tighest sequencers going. If you did't want to hear that you should have asked about alternatives to the mpc's not which is the best for what your doing.

Y do internet people get offended so quickly? is at all women in here? as if u guys had no career in front of u except for fp.com. it's like we are walking on eggshells in here, u twist everything up, twsist all my questions around and whatnot.

Thanks for the constructive answer, the one before this post. By the way, i did not say I do not want to hear an Akai recommendation, read the question clearly.

Anyways, bombard me with whatever isults, it's all good. I meant no harm to nobody, just wanted constructive opinions from what I thought were cool & experienced producers. My bad. Time to get busy with the real deals.

ONE

ps:my opinion, akai S950

s950 is a good choice. I own the brother s900, it it's pretty punchy. I also own the mpc60, which sounds a bit different. The cymbals come in clean, kicks punchy, and snares crisp. The aSR-X pro isn't bad. Run the hits through the effects and you can make the kicks hit. Off the bat, the ASR-10 provides the best coloration of sounds of sampled drum hits. The emu sp 12 isn't bad either, but the lack of memory and meager sample choices make it a headache to work with.

My choice:
Emu Sp12
ASR-10
MPC 60
ASR-X Pro
S900

Zoom Sampletrak ST224
dont sleep on this for punchy grimy drumz
Mattman thanks for putting me on to this dope sampler. Peace!!!

thanks jackpot... I am using this sampletrak for some drumz. Just resample with some fx, and it sounds tight. But eventually i want the mpc1000.

rarzo said:
Y do internet people get offended so quickly? is at all women in here? as if u guys had no career in front of u except for fp.com. it's like we are walking on eggshells in here, u twist everything up, twsist all my questions around and whatnot.

Thanks for the constructive answer, the one before this post. By the way, i did not say I do not want to hear an Akai recommendation, read the question clearly.

Anyways, bombard me with whatever isults, it's all good. I meant no harm to nobody, just wanted constructive opinions from what I thought were cool & experienced producers. My bad. Time to get busy with the real deals.

ONE

ps:my opinion, akai S950

I agree with you 100%...even about the S950.

Thanks to all of those who posted their opinions. I have a question for you Sampie: I have never used the Zoom Sampletrak ST224 and based on your reasons, you have got me really interested in this piece. How would u compare the sounds it produces, in terms of drums, by giving me a track for reference (i.e. the snare sound such as the snares in this track done by this artist, the kicks sound a lot like the kicks from that track, etc...). Hope u answer back. Thanks again for the posts guys.

ONE

PS: Sorry Jackpot, i really thought you were being wise on your 1st reply, my bad.

sup rarzo.. Ok check it.. If you have some real tight drum samples, once you throw them in the zoom you can resample thru the zoom filters fx etc. It will make the drums more punchy and in your face. As far as which artist i would say you can make drums sound close to anyone who rocks a 12bit sampler. This is my opinion. But this zoom sampletrak can make clean sounding samples and also you can flip it to sound grimey, People may not take enough time to get into the resampling of this unit and that is where all the "hidden griminess punchiness comes from" I learnt this from reading helpful reviews. Check out the reviews on harmony central. There is someone on there who prefers it over alot of old school 12 bit samplers. Including mpc's, s900's ans some ensoniq keyboards asr's eps's. Go check out harmony central and you go thru all the sampletrak reviews and find this one review i am talking about.
That is what sold me to it and it is right. The only thing of course is that the zoom dont have multiple outs ..but at the price its tight for drums. Try one out if you can b4 you cop it-- i dont want to steer you wrong so hear it for yourself if you can first.. peace

Does anybody have any input/feedback on the Akai S1000? How would u compare it, in terms of sound and manipulation of sound, compared to the S950? Compared to the MPC's, or any any heavy duty sampler? thanks.

ONE

Back