OMG!! Peep The New MPC 5000. CRAAZY

Have no opinion of the music they made, because making a drum beat on the MPC isnt much of using its all capabilities.

But I would never take a ****ing MPC tattoo....

jahrome said:
Its funny to read how a bunch of kids that use only software dis MPCs. That is cool. But us MPC users, typically use it alongside our favorite software not instead of software. Hardware sequencing and samplingis much more fun and inspirational. I mash buttons, bang on pads...not click a mouse. If you can make hot music by simply clicking a mouse, you can do the same hot music using an MPC and have more fun doing it. Yes, cost is a factor..at least for those that feel there is no need for an MPC. I am just not one of you.

Long live hardware.....

I agree with you for once. Not sure if this thread has been dissing the MPCs in general, as I clearly do think the 4000 is better than the 3500, oops I mean 5000. You're right though, no serious artists relies on just one single machine or even one single software program anymore.

I'm not saying Reason or ProTools or whatever is going to be the end all be all either. I'm totally with you when it comes to the need for some serious hardware. The MPCs are exactly this for some, others use MVs. Some people use keyboard workstations. It's all good, but in the end, you'll need hardware to get things done.

It doesn't matter if Akai calls it the MPC 3500, 5000, or 3000XL. But it really is better than the MPC 4000 in numerous ways. The 5000 doesn't have the full fledge sampler the 4000 has but the other features make up for it big time. At least for me. If the 4000 is what most MPC users want, I would think Akai would still be making them or another that is very similar.

jahrome said:
Its funny to read how a bunch of kids that use only software dis MPCs. That is cool. But us MPC users, typically use it alongside our favorite software not instead of software. Hardware sequencing and samplingis much more fun and inspirational. I mash buttons, bang on pads...not click a mouse. If you can make hot music by simply clicking a mouse, you can do the same hot music using an MPC and have more fun doing it. Yes, cost is a factor..at least for those that feel there is no need for an MPC. I am just not one of you.

Long live hardware.....

What a false dichotomy. Why is software always reduced to mouse clicking? It is funny to read intelligent people commit such silly fallacies. You know better.

These days I strictly use software and I too bang on pads, mash buttons, press keys, turn knobs, move sliders, and even use the mouse too (yet another useful controller).

Trusty said:
What a false dichotomy. Why is software always reduced to mouse clicking? It is funny to read intelligent people commit such silly fallacies. You know better.

These days I strictly use software and I too bang on pads, mash buttons, press keys, turn knobs, move sliders, and even use the mouse too (yet another useful controller).

Nothing to get worked up about....

Software is reduced to mouse clicking unless you have one of the numerous controllers on the market. I prefer to do everything you are doing with software but throw an MPC in the mix, which is a great controller now that it has numerous sliders and knobs that send MIDI CC messages. What I do takes nothing away from what you do.

jahrome said:
It doesn't matter if Akai calls it the MPC 3500, 5000, or 3000XL. But it really is better than the MPC 4000 in numerous ways. The 5000 doesn't have the full fledge sampler the 4000 has but the other features make up for it big time. At least for me. If the 4000 is what most MPC users want, I would think Akai would still be making them or another that is very similar.
WRONG! They dont make the 4000 or similiar products cause the parts were too expensive for Akai. That explains why everything is so cheaply made now. (500-5000)

EDIT: Whats wrong with a mouse? Ive never got it?, Mouse is a great freaking controller for slicing samples etc.

Last edited:
Entropybeats said:
WRONG! They dont make the 4000 or similiar products cause the parts were too expensive for Akai. That explains why everything is so cheaply made now. (500-5000)

EDIT: Whats wrong with a mouse? Ive never got it?, Mouse is a great freaking controller for slicing samples etc.

As I wrote before, if the Akai MPC 4000 is what MPC users actually want, their would be another. To spell it out for you...I suspect not many people want a $3000-$4000 drum machine. If there was a big market for those, I am sure Akai would release another with the "superior parts" you claim the MPC 4000 has.

The MPC 5K is not cheaply made. It is as robust as any workstation on the market today as was the MPC 2500. I don't have any knobs or sliders breaking. So people in these forums need to stop crying about wanting Akai to build a product that they cannot afford and nobody really wants...with few exceptions, like me.

jahrome said:
Nothing to get worked up about....

Software is reduced to mouse clicking unless you have one of the numerous controllers on the market. I prefer to do everything you are doing with software but throw an MPC in the mix, which is a great controller now that it has numerous sliders and knobs that send MIDI CC messages. What I do takes nothing away from what you do.

You got to admit though, it's quite stupid to use a MPC5k as midi controller. Talking about overkill.

In fact, for your style of production as far as you've explained, the MV might be great as you can use plugins and DAWs, instruments and what not more all directly into the MV. Doing software-style editing with a mouse. Taking benefit of both worlds...

Anyhow, it's all good, stick to your MPC if you like it better, for most people there's no need to own everything.

Bananasass said:
You got to admit though, it's quite stupid to use a MPC5k as midi controller. Talking about overkill.

In fact, for your style of production as far as you've explained, the MV might be great as you can use plugins and DAWs, instruments and what not more all directly into the MV. Doing software-style editing with a mouse. Taking benefit of both worlds...

Anyhow, it's all good, stick to your MPC if you like it better, for most people there's no need to own everything.

Only people that don't know exactly what the MPC does would say it is overkill or stupid.

The 5K (like all the other MPCs) are MIDI workstations which provide both sampling and sequencing. Sequencing has always been the highlight of an MPC. So you can easily sequence your plugins and DAWs, instruments, etc. directly using the MPC. Software-style editing is done on my computer using a mouse. The buttons, sliders, and knobs do the job of editing parameters on the MPC 5K. This is what I do. The MV offers nothing that will make me select it over an MPC. There is not one function on the MV that would make me choose it over an MPC 5K. You do realize that by purchasing the 5K, I could have easily picked up an MV-8800 and have money left over for a sound module instead? Sorry dude. You are tying to sell the MV to the wrong person.

jahrome said:
You do realize that by purchasing the 5K, I could have easily picked up an MV-8800 and have money left over for a sound module instead?

It's funny you do not even see the irony in that.

Sorry dude. You are tying to sell the MV to the wrong person.

I'm not selling anything, I'm not a salesmen, but an artist.

Bananasass said:
It's funny you do not even see the irony in that.

I'm not selling anything, I'm not a salesmen, but an artist.

I disagree. You are here trying to sell people on what you personally use. Why else would you be in an MPC thread talking about an MV? Additionally, what is really funny is that you have taken this Roland fan-boy stuff to another level..and still not realizing that if an MV is what 5K users wanted, we would have one since they are really cheap these days. On the second hand market, two MV-8800s are the same price I paid for my 5K. How many ways can I say I don't want one?

jahrome said:
I disagree. You are here trying to sell people on what you personally use.

Really I couldn't care less about what you think of what I'm trying, I am definitely not trying to sell anything. It amuses me that you even think so man, I don't care.

On the second hand market, two MV-8800s are the same price I paid for my 5K.

So? I'm sure less fortunate people do feel the current economic crisis a lot more than "we" do. The machine itself also is less expensive, so it only makes sense that it gets a lower price on the second hand market also... Often people there seem to be foolish, I know someone who once bought a used MPC2500 for 400$ from eBay. Totally not what it's worth, but I guess the seller really needed the money.

When it comes to the MPC5K, I would be more worried about the MPC5K that's ALSO showing up on the second hand market for quite low prices now... I guess it's not really an argument anyways, some people don't like the MV because it's not an MPC, other people are disappointed about the MPC5K and sell also ... so no big deal.

Little off-topic maybe but,

Ima ex user of 2500, the sequencing engine was just ****ing terrible, dont know if its cause the 96PPQ, but that thing left gaps, and If I sped it up it didnt play the whole sample so.. since then Ive been not intrested in any MPC:s, to be honest I dont even believe that the 5000 can do a lot better cause its based on the same root as 2500..

My friend has the MV 8800, its a great piece of equipment, had fun with it, the sequence was just superb.

I know this might be just a BS, but isnt it true that in MV you can set markers on samples instead of creating new samples like MPC style? Just curious. Cause if this is true, it already knocks MPC the ****-out.

damn how come we are so needy today with our machines when primo can still son most folks on a 20 year old machine when it comes to sampling? Not saying primo is relevant or important to any of yall today, but its not like many of todays sampling musicians do anything that primo wasnt doing WELL on a 60 or pete rock on a 1200. Its sickening to hear people whine about "crippling" features. If you feel a lack of feature cripples you maybe you just arent that good at what you do yet, whatever happened to that? Any how just get whatever is fun, inspiring, and allows you to express yourself. This going to be different for each person because minds and personalities vary per person. Thank God there is no single solution for everyone, we would probably have no variety in music if there was.

Entropybeats said:
I know this might be just a BS, but isnt it true that in MV you can set markers on samples instead of creating new samples like MPC style? Just curious. Cause if this is true, it already knocks MPC the ****-out.

Yes, this is true, you can edit samples in non-destructable ways, without having to truncate everything. In the end you will truncate though as it saves RAM.

Bananasass said:
Really I couldn't care less about what you think of what I'm trying, I am definitely not trying to sell anything. It amuses me that you even think so man, I don't care.

So? I'm sure less fortunate people do feel the current economic crisis a lot more than "we" do. The machine itself also is less expensive, so it only makes sense that it gets a lower price on the second hand market also... Often people there seem to be foolish, I know someone who once bought a used MPC2500 for 400$ from eBay. Totally not what it's worth, but I guess the seller really needed the money.

When it comes to the MPC5K, I would be more worried about the MPC5K that's ALSO showing up on the second hand market for quite low prices now... I guess it's not really an argument anyways, some people don't like the MV because it's not an MPC, other people are disappointed about the MPC5K and sell also ... so no big deal.

This isn't about the less fortunate people. This is a thread about the new MPC and it's users. A thread being dominated by people that don't even use it for the likes of an MV or software. So why are you here again? I guess to talk about what you use but no one cares. So I have to ask once more....why are you in this thread for?

Focused said:
damn how come we are so needy today with our machines when primo can still son most folks on a 20 year old machine when it comes to sampling? Not saying primo is relevant or important to any of yall today, but its not like many of todays sampling musicians do anything that primo wasnt doing WELL on a 60 or pete rock on a 1200. Its sickening to hear people whine about "crippling" features. If you feel a lack of feature cripples you maybe you just arent that good at what you do yet, whatever happened to that? Any how just get whatever is fun, inspiring, and allows you to express yourself. This going to be different for each person because minds and personalities vary per person. Thank God there is no single solution for everyone, we would probably have no variety in music if there was.

EXACTLY!

This is what I have been trying to say! Who gives a sh!t what you or I like? Its about the music isn't it? I use the 5000, my buddy uses the MV8800 and we do mostly the same thing, it is just a different style of using equipment, what fits his needs and what fits mine! I prefer to use the DAW for some things and the MPC for others, he likes it all in one unit (the MV can do more things), but I think the MPC does what it does better for my uses! But, like I said, who cares? I am not wrong and he is not wrong!

I use both Akai and Roland products and like them both alot, I don't ever buy a piece of gear because I am a "Fanboy" or because I am loyal to a brand, that is plain stupid! They aint paying me to use their ish, so I will use what works best for me! If later that changes, than I will change the piece to fit what I need now, isn't that the point?

Its sad because I am not even going to read these MPC or MV posts anymore! I am sick of what starts as a post to learn or teach or to ask a question, turning into a flame war over what is better! Can't we all just agree to disagree? I mean honestly, do you really care what I use, considering you don't even know me? We can all learn from each other here but instead we focus on BS! Its freaking stupid! These websites would be so much better if we all could focus more on looking at what makes us the same rather than focusing on what makes us different!, But I guess, I am the minority here huh?

GET OVER IT!

PEACE

Last edited:
kcsherrell@mac.com said:
EXACTLY!

This is what I have been trying to say! Who gives a sh!t what you or I like? Its about the music isn't it? I use the 5000, my buddy uses the MV8800 and we do mostly the same thing, it is just a different style of using equipment, what fits his needs and what fits mine! I prefer to use the DAW for some things and the MPC for others, he likes it all in one unit (the MV can do more things), but I think the MPC does what it does better for my uses! But, like I said, who cares? I am not wrong and he is not wrong!

I use both Akai and Roland products and like them both alot, I don't ever buy a piece of gear because I am a "Fanboy" or because I am loyal to a brand, that is plain stupid! They aint paying me to use their ish, so I will use what works best for me! If later that changes, than I will change the piece to fit what I need now, isn't that the point?

Its sad because I am not even going to read these MPC or MV posts anymore! I am sick of what starts as a post to learn or teach or to ask a question, turning into a flame war over what is better! Can't we all just agree to disagree? I mean honestly, do you really care what I use, considering you don't even know me? We can all learn from each other here but instead we focus on BS! Its freaking stupid! These websites would be so much better if we all could focus more on looking at what makes us the same rather than focusing on what makes us different!, But I guess, I am the minority here huh?

GET OVER IT!

PEACE

I am with you pimpin. What is the deal with people starting all these MV8800 vs MPC 5000 threads. It is really a waste of time. Peple don't buy the MPC because it has more specs, we know, or rather if you have done minimal research, you would know the MV is closer to a DAW then the MPC. I got a 2500 myself. I could rock a MV also, would really matter, but I like the 2 in 4 outs(midi). To me the MPC was easier to get up and running whereas the MV was more like doing stuff on a daw...file...click open...create folder....etc, etc. And just like you I am not biased. Right square above my MPC is a fantom XR. It just comes down to preference:monkey:

Back