NI Maschine vs Motu BPM

kb420 said:
No.

Maschine at $599 should have included Battery 3's library.

I was just scanning through the browser & I recognized a lot of the kits
from Battery are in the MASCHINE library! cool stuff. But remember
that the MASCHINE is not just a Drum Machine! ! ! It is a multi-
purpose tool that can be used to program all kinds of different
sounds. Not just drums. You can sample anything into it! Slice it, map
it to the pads & tap out beats right there on the fly! Just like an MPC
but with the advantages of a computer based system.

+ "Since you can integrate it into any sequencer that supports VST,
Audio Units, RTAS plug-ins (i.e. Ableton Live, ProTools, etc.) you can
reap the benefits in almost any software setup."

I had the MPD32 it was cool. But the MASCHINE controller has all the
commands I need right there in front of me! One controller to do it all.
The usage of my mouse has gone from about 90% of the time to less
than 10%. That's what I call work flow! ! ! No more of this point &
click production crap...

+ The MASCHINE Controller is easy to set up & use with Battery as well,
it comes with a template specifically for it ( of course, same company right! )

Anyway [ Ableton Live + NI MASCHINE = serious Methods of Production. ]

as for NI Maschine vs Motu BPM

it's all about the MIDI controller. NI got it right now!!!! They nailed it in one complete package...
but
MOTU BPM looks super dope too!
If you are on a budget, and don't really
mind not having a MIDI controller to tap beats out on.
Then the MOTU BPM @ $279 is a great deal for you.
Later on you can buy an MPD32 or something like that
when you get more $.

Too bad MOTU didn't build that as a real MIDI controller.
That thing looks dope! I'd buy it.

I might get the software anyway, then use the MASCHINE to control it!

Last edited:
the part about maschine that has me really excited is how easy it appears to sample and chop... looks as close to my mpc setup as can be. I'm saving up for a maschine now hopefully by the time i get it they will release an os update to allow rex and external midi support. as for the 5 gb vs 15gb debate... man are you kidding me? what ever happened to finding and creating your own sample and sound library? i don't wanna sound like a dick here but people are just getting lazy and the music is suffering.

OK, call me a gear whore, but I have Ableton Live 8, Maschine and BPM, and although some are right here in comparing them, they do different things and I have found that all of them have their bright spots and my point is this, by owning all 3 (if you can) than you can pick and choose what one you like to use for certain things.

If something can improve my workflow or make my time in the lab more productive, than I am all over that! I get very little time in my studio due to job, kids, life, etc... (Not b!tching, but just saying) my time in the studio is valuable to me and if I can spend a little money to make it that much better, I will! That is what these 3 pieces of kit have done for me!

I love all 3!

ONE

Don't forget, a little know how!

You have to understand why the sp1200 sounds like it does before you can duplicate it.

Yep. I think having owned a couple 2, or 3 vintage samplers is to ones benefit when trying to emulate them.
Not imposible, but certainly benefitial.

Anyone comparing Maschine to MOTU BPM or Live's Drum Racks is an ignorant fool. Using BPM or Drum Rack, or even Battery, with generic midi controllers will never come near Maschine. Maschine works just like a hardware sampling drum machine much like MPCs but without the outdated limitations and inefficient workflows. You can do pretty much everything with the hardware without ever looking once at the computer monitor. There's nothing else like it. Maschine is the future and the future is now.

I couldn't agree more

the part about maschine that has me really excited is how easy it appears to sample and chop... looks as close to my mpc setup as can be. I'm saving up for a maschine now hopefully by the time i get it they will release an os update to allow rex and external midi support. as for the 5 gb vs 15gb debate... man are you kidding me? what ever happened to finding and creating your own sample and sound library? i don't wanna sound like a dick here but people are just getting lazy and the music is suffering.
If I wasn't on such a tight budget I'd rather get the MV 8800 or the MPC 4000 but i'm on my laptop for now and all I know is Ablton so I think a slammin midi controller would be best.I jst may be sold on the Mashine

Maschine is better

1 thing I like about BPM it can sound close 2 an SP1200 so u get that grimmy hip-hop sound

Maschine's 1.5 update has the SP1200 and Mpc added. Definitely Machine all the way, ton of drums kits, can use vst's each update it gets better and better, Hardware all day, and can be used as a controller.

from the youtube examples bpms sp1200 emulation sounds more the ticket albeit in a exaggerated sort of way.

I'm currently having a heated internal debate with myself about which way to go between these programs - I'm not a Live user, and have no intention of switching at the moment for a variety of reasons. My main question concerns sampling:

I just checked out the NI video where the guy is going through the sampling improvements in v. 1.5, and it seems like they've fixed alot of the issues. But if anyone here has hands on experience, I would love to know, which program is more efficient and intuitive for sampling/slicing?

I say maschine. I love it, its easy and quick. From my understanding BPM's sampler sucks and is a pain to use.

I'm currently having a heated internal debate with myself about which way to go between these programs - I'm not a Live user, and have no intention of switching at the moment for a variety of reasons. My main question concerns sampling:

I just checked out the NI video where the guy is going through the sampling improvements in v. 1.5, and it seems like they've fixed alot of the issues. But if anyone here has hands on experience, I would love to know, which program is more efficient and intuitive for sampling/slicing?

I own both and I can tell you that I have never found a more intuitive or easy way of slicing and sampling than Maschine! BPM is nice too and I like both programs very much but if I had to choose, I would pick Maschine by a long shot! I am an MPC user since 1998 and have used it as my center piece of my studio since 1998. When I got Maschine, I used my MPC 5000 less and less, but when Version 1.5 came out.... GAME OVER!!!! I hadn't used my MPC in 2 months and finally sold it because Maschine made it irrelevant and Maschine is so good and sooo easy to use now that using something else just doesn't make sense to me. Seriously, its that good, IMO.

ONE

I can't say I have BPM, but I do have the Maschine. It's the truth. Slicing and chopping samples is so much easier using a knob to trim samples than having to point and click. And if you got a sound card with multiple channels you should be able to sample anything into the Maschine that you can play on your computer. That alone makes the Maschine worth it to me.

I have both as well, and if we are talking about slicing, sampling, chopping, etc..then Maschine is much more fun and fluid in this aspect. Just the way it handles samples, editing, slicing, auditioning slices etc... BPM can do it, but it's not as fluid in my opinion as it is in Maschine...

for example, to audition a slice in BPM, you have to highlight it and hit alt+spacebar just to hear what's in that section, in Maschine you can just hit the pad or click on the slice in the software, one of those workflow things that definitely makes a difference when you're in the middle of slicing up some junk

i'm with saintjoe. i have both also. i even have beatthang. but maschine has done it for me because of the ease of sampling. but if you can go to a guitar center or sam ash and audition them both to make a better decision.

Lex
The Rush

Back