Mv 8800 Why Does No One Use These

And I wasn't talking to you but the gentleman above you. But I keep forgetting that MV users on the internet are sensitive about the status of their gear.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
And I wasn't talking to you but the gentleman above you. But I keep forgetting that MV users on the internet are sensitive about the status of their gear.

I could've swore you just quoted me. But if you didn't then my bad.

I had the MPC2500, and it was a tight piece. But when i heard about the MV8000. And went to Guitar Center and checked it out. I was hooked. SO i traded my MPC2500 for the MV8000. Now that my MV 8000 has the 512RAM and 100GB Harddrive which i only have about 15GB left of free space on it. The MV is all you need for post production work. Once you do a final mix with your joint. Dump it into protools and master it. You will get total master production doing that.
Once you know how to chop and make your sounds sound clean and crisp. There is no stopping you. This unit is friendly easy user. And MV nation has a alot of helpful tips for beginners.
I think that Roland has made its come back. And the only thing out there that will replace the MV8800 is that new piece Timblerland and lil jon using now. I forgot the name right now. But i will post when i find out.

Use the MV because it does what you need it to do. Waiting for the MV or anyother piece of hardware to catch on is silly. That's like saying you are waiting for Cubase, Logic, or Digital Performer to replace Pro Tools in major studios.

You are talking about Open Labs keyboards that have been out for years....and the MV is used for pre-production/production not post production.

Last edited:
Yo man its for sure that you havent even got on a MV. How are you talking about its slow and awkward. I use to have the MPC2000 and the MPC2500. The MV can do patches just like the MPC. Everybody thinks that MPC are the most used samplers. But having the MPC60 and MPC3000. There is alot more hardware you will have to spin in order to compare with the units they have now. So why stay with the pass. Music is getting more creative meaning you need better equipment. And the MV is all you need in post production. MPC2500 cant bring you up to that speed yet. So if you want to be behide the top beat makers you need to buy a MV.

jahrome said:
With the new JJ OS for the MPC 1000 about to drop...it will give the MPC 1000 the power of the MPC 4000 and MV-8800/8000 as far as being a full featured sampler with ADSR and keygroup programming. All of this for less than half the price.....

Personally, the MV is to slow and awkward coming from an MPC, which is much simpler to use. Simplicity is a huge bonus when it comes to song writing and producing.

You are incorrect. I did own the original MV-8000. The MV is slower at many things when stacked up against an MPC. But that doesn't take away the great things that it can do. Calling it slow and awkward is just one man's opinion. You obviously have a different experience and there is nothing wrong with that. One specific thing I didn't like about the MV is that once you load a project and you sample...even if you later delete the sample, you do not gain back the memory voided by that sample. You have to created another project or optimize the project (I think that is what it is called but could be wrong). WIth any MPC, once you delete a file, you instantly are free to use that memory to sample something else. So you can sample and delete as much as you like which isn't possible when I had the MV. Has this function been improved?

Some of the logic that is being written here is fallable. Music isn't about getting the latest toy. The latest toy will not create your music for you. And actually, getting an MV is not getting the latest toy. The MV-8800 is not a real upgrade of the MV-8000 with the exception of a colorful screen. The MPC 2500 is a newer than the MV series. With the new operating systems of the MPC 1000 and MPC 2500 coming, they are being taken to the next level. As was mentioned already, keygroup programming and ADSR support. Additionally, up to 64 audio tracks per sequence has been added but since you can simult play two sequences, that gives you up to 128 tracks of audio. Non-destructive chopping/slicing of samples is the biggest groove creation improvement. It appears similar to that of the ASR-10. When you start to look at the pricing of the MPC 1000 with all these features, you really start to get the big picture. The MPC 1000 is half the price and half the size of these other products. You could buy yourself another synth and still come out ahead.

I was a true MPC2000XL user to the heart... until I messed with my friends MV-8000. It just blew me away with all the features that where on it.
Hellz yeah there is a learning curve coming from the MPC to the MV. I think that's what intimidates people is how much roland put into this unit and how much you have to learn to get the full experience of it.
It's just like back when Win XP first came out and people where still using Win 98 saying Win XP has too many bells and whistles.
Well... you have to adapt to change someday.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... I got a MV-8000 on the way in the mail! :D

Last edited:
The learning curve on the MV is no more than the learning curve of any sampling workstation. If you mastered one workstation in the past, you will be able to figure out another workstation with minimal effort. At least that is my experience. I have yet to spend much time reading a manual after I have a product in front of me.

didnt u sell yours before 3.5 was released?^^im not defending the MV but i do know its better then a mpc in regards of functions and built..

i personaly think its a great unit it just lacks on the main outs to me
i just need to turn the unit lowder then most other gear i own..

But it does beat any mpc out there hands down and ur a fool if u think not...IMO

I wonder why no one in this thread mentioned the high price tag? That's one of the biggest reasons why so many people get an MP because you can get it for like $500 from eBay. And portability is also a good reason for many people to get the MP. I pesonally don't know the MV just saw some vids on youtube.

MP's have a lot of bugs, and I've heard pitch shifting (not pitching) doesn't sound as nice as with software or other equipment. IMO that *should* be the strongest functions of a *sampler*. But I want to try some hardware for myself just to look how it is.

I think if you dudes on here really want get the MV more noticed is post the youtube video of Rza talking about his and what it does. He explained it real good and simple for the knuckle heads but at the same time true producers that don't know much about it would be like yo that **** is pretty ill ....

I've made beats on a MV 8k and I didn't care for it. Just not my cup of tea. I did enjoy every mpc model I used.

Juke179r, i agree with you on that point. Its different learning tool. I have heard the reason why a lot of people don't use Roland products is because of the rep of its to hard to learn how to use the equipment. And on the real its not that hard. I use to only use ASR and MPC until the MV came out and i worked on it and its really a tight piece to work on and have. And after being on the piece for awhile its easy. Just like riding a bike.

I'm divorcing my MV8000 after 3 years of marriage (never thought i'd say that). and i'm going bck to my ex... the MPC....
and its not that i dont or didnt like the MV8k, but, i recently dug up
my S3000xl and cleaned her off and played with her.... I loaded up some old drum wav files... and I was blown the hell away (WARM & PUNCHY as hell) like i was getting punched in the chest and slapped in the face. i then loaded those same samples (out of curiosity) in to the MV.. it didnt have that same THUMP to it.
then I realized thats that VINTAGE AKAI SOUND... (if i'm not mistaken, the S3000xl uses the same sampling engine as the MPC3000) and thats the sound that I miss... so i'm officially bringing my S3000xl from of retirement (THATS THE REASON YOU NEVER SELL OLD VINTAGE GEAR) and I plan on purchasing MPC2500 real soon.... after I sell the MV8k....
for those of you who use any of those old AKAI samplers i'm sure u know what i'm talkin about.. that sound is classic and I dont care how many features the MV8k has it cant reproduce that VINTAGE AKAI SOUND!

^Rememeber the new JJ OS of the MP 2500 has bit crusher features, that's pretty cool. I want an MP too but have only money for a 2000xl off ebay :( the 2500 looks mad sexy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it so cool that the consumer has options? Anyway, this has been exhausted (a lot by yours truly) years ago.

If you want a simple sequencer with basic phrase and one-shot sampling, get a mpc.

If you want a workstation sampler with complete set of sample features and functions that are equal to software features found in hosts like Live, and samplers like Kontakt, incredible effects, tons of bells and whistles, and a very rock solid, fully featured midi sequencer, then get the MV-8000/8800.

Some people want more, some people want less. Get the one that works.

As to whether one is truly better than another, the answer is still yes, regardless of what a person needs. The MV is completely superior to the mpc (any version) in every possible way. An argument could have been made in the past about the mpc4k, but since that never worked properly, and has been abandoned, it is a moot point. This has been done in favor of cheapies like the 1k and the 500, and Akai's milking of the 2k, putting it out in slightly different ways over and over and over again for way more money than it is worth...

Everyone can take all that with as much or as little salt as they like, as I use neither anymore.

Last edited:
not debating which one is better or worse..... I just miss that sound that tone that I use to get from my drums... and the MV8k cannot reproduce that VINTAGE CLASSIC AKAI TONE.... the MPC 2500 has 2 MIDI ins 4 MIDI outs. for those of us who have tons of MIDI gear thats a plus... it can (IN SOME CASES) eliminates the need for a MIDI Patchbay... again I like my MV8k or I would not have kept it (STILL HAVE IT) for 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back