mpc1000 vs. trigger finger

D

djsaam

Ok, well I currently have logic pro 8 and reason. I am looking into buying an mpc 1000, but it seems as if all the features on there are also in the DAW's that i have. Would you guys reccomend getting an mpc 1000, or a trigger finger?

thanks for the replies

Once Live7 comes out ... there really isn't going to much point in having an MPC anymore. Frankly, there isn't much point even now, but Live7 will put another nail in that coffin.

dansgold said:
Once Live7 comes out ... there really isn't going to much point in having an MPC anymore. Frankly, there isn't much point even now, but Live7 will put another nail in that coffin.

That IS a matter of opinion.

One problem about live is that it requires a computer.. not all musicians use
computers, some like physical synthesizers to play. We might be a dying breed, but us old timers are still around.
There isn't much point in having Live, if you don't use
a computer in your studio.... it just doesn't play any sounds... pretty box and all...but just doesn't make a sound.

Also, Live does not have a "next sequence" function. Everything has to be mapped out into 1 Live set. instead of letting you go from 1 Live set to another....

But the crucial thing for me, is to eliminate the dependence on the computer..

Cheers,
Dave

just wanted to say...i use hardware...but if u have logic/reason why buy n mpc waste of $...if you were a noob shoppin...id say mpc for sure...just not impressed with software...too many features that stall creative process for me...i use to edit samples n chop but...thats it...hardware is still organic n embodies the true musician

live actually does have a next sequence function. Its just not called that. I used to use live for my production but I dont like to work on computers. Im not a visual person so the less I gotta use my eyes the better. Hardware still has its appeal. Especially since it adds a unique sound. Not the case in newer MPCs though. They sound just like software. But, hardware in general will never go I think.

guys remember i have logic/reason, not live. Your opinions...

Agree Wit Frantic...its All About The Feel....but Again Do U Man

Logic/reason From What I've Heard Are Awesome Programs So Adding An Mpd 16, Pad Kontrol, Trigger, Or Even The New Mpk49 By Akai Would Do Well For Your Set-up...

Last edited by a moderator:
dansgold said:

Can you actually explain what you mean by this statement?

i can...he's wrong n really just making a very opinionated statement.
there is a movement of people who think desktops will eventually obliterate standalone hardware devices. The counter-movement is just as powerful. i think hardware devices will become supercharged with intelligent proccessors and much cheaper to make and market. Fact...the big 3 roland, korg, yamaha to inc akai are in present flux with the trend of midi controller driven software but when dust settles...both will still be around to complement each other

if u dont think the big corp dont tap into these worldwide forums as a marketing, production, n promotion tool...think again...they know precisely what people want realtime which is why...this sp-555 just came out in midst of all the software craze...thats just 1 small example...look around

Last edited by a moderator:
do you need an audio interface for a trigger finger/ pad kontrol or do you just need to use a usb cable?

usb cable. neither make any noise by themselves, they are simply midi controllers, so no interface needed.

I have the mpc 1000 and I love it but if I had to go back I wouldnt buy it, it is a great machine, dope sequencer, nice feeling but you can do everything with a computer based sequencer. So it aint a must have in my opinion.
But if you want pads why dont you just buy an axiom midi keyboard? I never tried it but it has it so it looks like a good midi interface.

Are you interested in using the MPC's sequencer? If you are not going to use the MPC for its main features ie; sequencing, beat chopping, direct recording and chopping samples, etc.... Then you should proably not get one. Personally, I love the MPC. I use it to lay down my drums and other tracks then trasfer it into Logic Studio when I am ready to finish the song. I also use the MPC for direct recording samples and chopping them up (sort of a sketch pad for me), and for recording a saving my different drum kits. That is just how I do it, but many people do it defferently, nut iwould say if you dont need the main features of the MPC or would not use them, then just buy a MIDI Interface but go with PadKontrol (Korg) or Akai's MPD 24 they are the best out IMO.

PEACE

kcsherrell

Dj Frantic said:
live actually does have a next sequence function. Its just not called that. I used to use live for my production but I dont like to work on computers. Im not a visual person so the less I gotta use my eyes the better. Hardware still has its appeal. Especially since it adds a unique sound. Not the case in newer MPCs though. They sound just like software. But, hardware in general will never go I think.

Can you tell me how to do this? I haven't paid attention to Live since 4.0 so it's very likely I missed when they added this feature. Last time I checked, when you
went File ---> Open it would ask if you wanted to save what you had and
remove the current "session" and open a new "session". How does 1 open
2 seperate Sessions within Live and then "Mix" between the two?

Thanks,
Dave

Back