MPC Vs. Roland MV-8000

I think the Mv is a great tool, but i feel since Premo is still using a mpc 60 and dre is using a 3000 and kanye is using a 2000 and timbaland and alchemis is still using a Asr 10 and the neptunes dont use any of those and are still making hits ima just keep my 2000 xl and just go hard. Im not saying im gona follow them guys, but i feel that i cant really afford to keep buying and rebuying the same shyt.The producers i have named have enuff money to buy any of these things and there not so whats good for them is gona be good for me! The 60,2kxl,3k,4k,Mv, Asr10 are all the same pretty much. Give or take this or that but as far as what we plan to use these machines for it they are all the same! Its all about ease of use and getting the job when you want it done and what the word done might mean to "YOU" the user. pluse its also about what you have also around you also.

Trusty I'm usin an ADX1, JoMox Xbase09, a Veroma, and an Oberheim dmx to build most of my drum banks. The novation is a nice unit too but I havent really used that too much. I mic a lot of the accoustic drums with a Nueman. Then I add a little bit of ISA110 action to everything before it gets sampled.I know Dre and them use what they use but thats because they go by the if it aint broke motto. However I guarantee you put me in the studio with Dre with a 4000 or Trusty with an MV they'd buy that ****. You gotta just show em the translation, new gear always slows people down at first, but once you get past the learning curve you realize the extra speed and function you add to your rig by owning those newer models. I am by no means saying you should always go out and by the newest thing but, from my point of view, being a die hard MPC3000 user for the past 10 years, when I saw how much more the 4000 could do and how much faster I could get things done with it I saw it as a worthwile exspense to upgrade. Granted the MV or the MPC will not make you a better producer, it's more about what you can do with what you have than anything else.

Yo Hav, you have good points but now days somebody like dre would really never need half of what is in a 4k or Mv being that he really dont sample other than his drum sounds with the 3k. Im more shock that i dont see more heavy sample base producers witha 4k and soon a Mv but alot keep to there guns. The only big name producer who has went from the good old mpc's to a 4k as far as i know is Just Blaze and he didnt care to much for the mv but said jazzy jeff likes the Mv. The only thing i would love to have in my 2kxl is a real resample function. I would love to layer to samples and resample it to creat one new sample. Other than that i dont like to do much to any of my drums untill im tracking and mixing. I use to use a Boss Dr rhythem, the boxy orange and black drum machnine with the sp 202 sampler and crappy keyboard. The dr rhythem had a 3 or 4 track seq(bass,drums,ext midi 1 and 2). When i use to use that stuff i was in heaven all i really wanted was a way to play each part on its own so i didnt have to start over if i mest up. I also wanted a drum machine thati could always put new sounds in it that i wanted. That was about two years ago. I feel i got taht wish. With softare i can do some cool stuff to a s sample.

Trusty said:
Cool.

on the mpc2kxl the stereo outs weren't assignable though. :( But when I demo'ed the mpc4k at GC it crashed on me twice! :) And all my friends that have it have told me horror stories. Half of them went back to using the mpc2kxl w/ Z8 samplers (Which was in my set-up) to get the better results. :)

But yeah, the OS is crap...but you probably don't use more 30% of the mpc4k's functions.

Eh...i don't use smpte or song mode...i just lock it up midi clock to cubase @ home or whatever daw the studio is using and sequence in there. But...i do use the 4k pretty extensively in pretty much every other area...from sampling to sample editing/chopping to effects (which i always take off anyway), to some q link stuff and the z4 sampler...but...I will admit I don't use q link near 15% of it's capabilities...just no need to with my line of music and the way i sequence.

and the new os isn't crap :) which is why sales are up..they FINALLY got it right ....i was satisfied with 1.45 tho..

as far as opinions on the mv-8000...it seems cool...more geared for someone that needs an all in one solution I guess...not sure. I just don't understand why someone would need an all in one solution of that variety. that's been my hangup with the machine since day 1. It slices it dices it cooks it cleans....and most of it it does below average (as does any machine that ventures into other machines' duties as a selling point..including the 4k).

I.E. - the 4k has a cd burner that can burn data....and it burns @ 8x!!! and the data has to be loaded in mem to burn...so why would I ever even use that? I could just transfer the data to my computer via usb and burn with my 50X+ burner a lot faster and not have to worry about loading stuff first. Not saying this is how the mv8k works...just citing shortcomings of do it all machines.

pz

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the ease of the MV...it isn't an all-in-one that people tink it is. It handles the sampling/sequencing part for me. I track in software. I prefer the sequencer and the ease of the smpler to the mpc's sequencer...and I find the sampler's functions better and easier than the Z8 (which is the same as the mpc4k).

But I do like the mixning and mastering features of the MV-8000 when out of the studio though...

People should not make the mistake thinking that because it does so many things that each of those things are compromised in some cases...That simply isn't true at all. They are all flawles in their ability. The fact that it is included makes it a nice machine.

Likr I said, it isn't a do-it-all machine...it just CAN do it all and does it all well. :)

Hav-Grimey, please PM me some thoughts on the xbase and the Vermona drm mkII or whatever. I am thinking about copping those.

Back