Like Tree1Likes

Thread: MPC-V: A Virtual Akai MPC

jahrome is offline Diamond Member

MPC-V: A Virtual Akai MPC

Sign in to disable this ad

Click below for the article:
    Akai Virtual MPC | Audio State of Mind

Comments?
    Last edited by jahrome; 10-18-2011 at 08:15 AM.
    Weapons of mass destruction: Maschine Studio, MPC Ren, MPC 4000, MPC 3000, Kronos,
    www.mpc-fanatics.com

saintjoe is offline SoundsAndGear.com
    saw it a little bit ago, would love it if akai listened and made it happen
    SoundsAndGear.com
    Maschine Tutorial - exclusive tutorial site for NI Maschine

karledwards is offline Insane FP Patriot
    VST or DAW?

jahrome is offline Diamond Member
    Been dreaming about an Akai MPC without its traditional limitations for a long time. Just like Maschine, I would like to see standalone version as well as a plugin version.
    likes this.
    Weapons of mass destruction: Maschine Studio, MPC Ren, MPC 4000, MPC 3000, Kronos,
    www.mpc-fanatics.com

ULTRASON is offline Registered User
    Yes nice idea...Akai have to think about the future of the mpc...

Inverted314 is offline BOOM BAP OR DIE
    People would buy just for the name, but price wise it would have to be competitive with Native Instruments.

Also, Akai has never been that great at software design. Rather see them make a software perfect for the MPK61.
    I am a professional rapper

krushing is offline Moderator
    Yeah, this is so rough a concept at this point that it's hard to say anything very productive - especially when his argument "against" the Maschine is that "NI makes some of the most complex softsynths" - what? For now it just kind of sounds like...well, an idea with very little substance.

vmachine is offline vmachine
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing View Post
    Yeah, this is so rough a concept at this point that it's hard to say anything very productive - especially when his argument "against" the Maschine is that "NI makes some of the most complex softsynths" - what? For now it just kind of sounds like...well, an idea with very little substance.
    So I thought I might jump in here. I would have to disagree with the above since I'm the one who wrote the article/created the models. Yes, it's an idea, but I don't think it's lacking in substance. The article has a lot of pretty specific aspects in there.

And I believe the argument against NI making complex software is completely valid as a reason to why they wouldn't make a good MPC. One of the main things that made the MPC a classic was how easy it was to use. It takes a certain mindset to create a simple and effective UI like this. German engineering does not have this type of mindset. American engineering does. Compare the Tempest to a Blofeld or Monomachine (Swedish?) to see what I'm saying with this. Maschine had this vibe to it that was just too complex to ever feel like a real MPC. NI make some great soft synths, but when it comes to simplicity and elegance in UI design, they are really not good (but getting better).

Agreed though that the current Akai is not good at software design though and probably wouldn't make a good update to the MPC. They have nothing to do with the old Japanese Akai and/or Roger Linn. Roland could be a good candidate for something like this though. Their MV boxes have some pretty advanced software that they work with.
    Last edited by vmachine; 10-26-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    my music tech blog: audiostateofmind.com

hollandturbine is offline Registered User
    The MPC has a low latency advantage over software so going virtual would be a step in the wrong direction.

vmachine is offline vmachine
    Isn't that just one minor tradeoff outweighed by a ton of advantages. And in a hybrid device, it could be designed so the samples are managed in the computer but transferred to the hardware. This would give the best of both worlds.
    my music tech blog: audiostateofmind.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information