MPC Question

karledwards

i've been plannin on gettin an mpc, i just need to know how much it's gonna cost me. everywhere i've read, it said start off with the 2000xl. i guess akai discontinued it or somethin?

basically my question is, what's the difference between the older mpcs and the newer ones? i don't really want to get one off someone on ebay. would the 1000 be a good choice? or what about the 500? i saw somewhere that the 500 didn't have usb capability so i was like f*ck that. any advice would be nice. anyone who wants to tell me not to buy it, don't waste your time postin. the only way i can know if i want to work with one or not is if i try it for myself.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Professional-MPC1000-Sequencer-Sampler-103643078-i1154752.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Pr...Music-Production-Center-104011366-i1168543.gc

you should get a 2500 ,in my opinion those are a little better than the 1000s plus they dont have the problems with the pads messing up like the first 1000s that were released.i bought one off of ebay and i didnt think someone would sell me something for 750 bucks if the pads didnt work like they were supposed to,i had to bang on them really hard to the point that it would hurt my finger tips..if you can find an mpc 2000 make sure that all the pads work and the screen has no lines,the disk drive works,and check if it has the 8 outs expansion and fx board ,and see if it has the upgraded memory.
if money is no thang find yourself an mpc 3000 Le.

Damn bro! You went backwards instead of forwards. lol

JK... it's best to get the feel of it before shelling out big money and not be impressed with the product.

Last edited:
go ahead and grab a 1000. the models after that are way bigger.

and you can also easily download JJ OS1, JJ OS2, or JJ OS2xl and which will make ur MPC equivalant to a 2500 or up.

i was thinkin about the 1000 at first, so i did research on the 500 and 1000. everyone was just hatin on the small screen. they said all the mpc's can do the same thing. and i was takin the portability on the 500 as a plus, so i was just like i'll get that.

before the 1000 i was lookin at the 2000xl's. i don't trust gettin one of anybody online though.

The drawbacks of the 500 is partially the small screen. Unless you have previous experience with using an MPC and being able to navigate through the menus, its going to be hard as hell or take you FOREVER to figure out what you're doing with the 500. Most people dislike the screen because you don't get the waveform of your sample when you trimming/chopping; but that's really not a problem at all, just play it by ear. But screen navigation is going to be real annoying on the 500. If you have the money for it I would just go with the 1000.

The 2000XL is great. I still have mine (now using a 2500) and after installing the effects board, you can do everything the 1000 can do (minus Patch Phrase).

Go to a Guitar Center and play with what they have on display before you make a purchase.

The drawbacks of the 500 is partially the small screen. Unless you have previous experience with using an MPC and being able to navigate through the menus, its going to be hard as hell or take you FOREVER to figure out what you're doing with the 500. Most people dislike the screen because you don't get the waveform of your sample when you trimming/chopping; but that's really not a problem at all, just play it by ear. But screen navigation is going to be real annoying on the 500. If you have the money for it I would just go with the 1000.

The 2000XL is great. I still have mine (now using a 2500) and after installing the effects board, you can do everything the 1000 can do (minus Patch Phrase).

Go to a Guitar Center and play with what they have on display before you make a purchase.

I don't have any previous experience with an MPC. I had read that you couldn't see the waveform. When I saw that I just said to myself that I'd have to get used to it I guess. Or just chop it on my computer then drop it in the MPC. Sounds time consuming though, idk. Thanks though, I didn't even think that going through the menus would be anywhere as difficult as chopping on it. I was supposed to go to the Guitar Center last week, but it just ended up not happening.

I had said on another thread that money wasn't a problem cause I didn't want everyone to base their opinions on my budget. I'm 16, hopefully getting this job at Jimmy John's this week. I really don't care how much it cost though. I was thinking the 500 cause I could get it probably as soon as I got my 2nd check. I think if I had the money to get the 500, I'd probably buy it in a second then save up a little bit longer for the 1000. That's just me being thirsty..

i was thinkin about the 1000 at first, so i did research on the 500 and 1000. everyone was just hatin on the small screen. they said all the mpc's can do the same thing. and i was takin the portability on the 500 as a plus, so i was just like i'll get that.

before the 1000 i was lookin at the 2000xl's. i don't trust gettin one of anybody online though.

All MPC's can do the same things but the newer ones have more features and AKAI fixed a lot of the bugs the older ones had...although they still have bugs for sure...my MPC 5000 freezes on me pretty often so if I didn't save what I had so far of the beat I lose everything.

I copped a 1000 a few months ago. honestly, i wish i had saved up a few more hundred because now, i wanna sell it to grab a 2500.

the 1000 is cool for beginners. especially if you're new to the whole thing. i got it because i had never worked with an MPC before. i was on some fanboy sh!t. I still want the 2500 just to have it. but i make my stuff mostly on DAWs. I use Reason and Pro Tools LE.

it all depends on what you use it for, i guess. everyone's different. if you're the qwerty-point-and-click type, the MPC is not for you. but if you prefer the performance aspect and choppin n **** manually. grab the 2500 or better.

just sayin'.

I agree I have a 1000 and wish I would have got the 2500. The 500 is a waste of money; a MPD and some software is much more capable.

Back