Mpc 5000 Os 2??

moyphee said:
That's not an explanation it's an excuse. It also one of main reasons legacy owners rejected it.

One day you'll have those keygroups...one day. Until then the 5000 has some very serious issues to deal with.

BTW - professionals use what works not what's in or trendy. That's why vintage Neve compressors and strips rule over any plugin -and real analog synths are so sought after. It's why the all powerful software isn't used by the top industry's mastering engineers. specs don't trump sound and functionality. Given the system to system inconsitancy of plugin use, I don't know any working professional in a commercial facility that would choose 20 instances of a plugin over single real Teletronics, Manley, or Millenia unit.

You are correct. Legacy MPC users rejected the MPC 4000 and MV-8800 because the workflow isn't lie the previous MPCs. The MPC 5000 is exactly like the legacy MPCs in spite of adding keygroups. The way the MPC 5000 adds synths and keygroup programs is perfect.

Now I clearly explained to you what professionals use. Because of your weird obsession with hating on Akai, you can't think logically. Software samplers are not trendy. They are the industry standard. Professionals do not use 512 MB samplers today....over 8 years ago yes...but not today. The $2500 units (hardware samplers) cannot load and take full advantage of this $4000 sample library: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VIStringsPkg/. If you actually created music, you would perhaps know this. Keygroup samplers are obsolete. However, the MPC 5000s 4 MIDI outputs and the 12 Q-links which send MIDI CC's messages to control numerous hardware and software sound module/sampler parameters to integrate with a highend studio. The MPC 4000 and the MV 8800 does not have this level of power. You can spin it anyone you want, but they don't compare to the MPC 5000 with OS 1 and cannot certainly match the MPC 5000 with OS 2.

That was not only poor spin attempt it highly inaccurate.

"Now I clearly explained to you what professionals use."

We know pros use , it's obvious you have no idea of what your talking about. As far you explaining anything, you can't discuss what you don't know. That would explain the juvenile response when I stuck to the facts.

"They are the industry standard. Professionals do not use 512 MB samplers today"

A sad attempt to justify the 5000's piddly 198 max.

"Legacy MPC users rejected the MPC 4000 and MV-8800
"

That's BS, and the rejected unit was the 5000. Rejected by legacy users and new customers. This why they are selling retail return 5000s direct.

I don't believe you're capable of holding a real debate without infusing a bunch of "used car salesman bs" and adhering to facts.

moyphee said:

We know pros use , it's obvious you have no idea of what your talking about. As far you explaining anything, you can't discuss what you don't know. That would explain the juvenile response when I stuck to the facts.

"They are the industry standard. Professionals do not use 512 MB samplers today"

"

That's BS, and the rejected unit was the 5000. Rejected by legacy users and new customers. This why they are selling retail return 5000s direct.

I don't believe you're capable of holding a real debate without infusing a bunch of "used car salesman bs" and adhering to facts.

dude is quite obviously an idiot... really not worth arguin with him. It's like trying to convince a retard that they aren't really Michael Jordan.

AGAIN;;;;;;;just bought 5000 used locally . did not know about bugz/os previous to purchase but got real good deal regardless! how do i find out if its got os and when is os 2 available ? so far the screen has froze up on me twice . but still really appreciate the machines capabilities cant wait to resample with q-knobs/sliders/effects thats funk in crazy,. yeah i took a risk buying used and the low price. but thing just might workout after-all I'm just hoping for the best .

Hollow I3oNeS said:
AGAIN;;;;;;;just bought 5000 used locally . did not know about bugz/os previous to purchase but got real good deal regardless! how do i find out if its got os and when is os 2 available ? so far the screen has froze up on me twice . but still really appreciate the machines capabilities cant wait to resample with q-knobs/sliders/effects thats funk in crazy,. yeah i took a risk buying used and the low price. but thing just might workout after-all I'm just hoping for the best .
Spring 09, even though Spring is broad... that's all I got for you. I'm waiting on OS 2 myself.

moyphee said:

"

This is no debate. and you have never posted anything factual in these forums..ever.

Professionals don't rely on a 512 MB sampler to load giga pianos, strings, etc. That is impossible. Fact: The Akai Z8 is the most powerful stand alone hardware sampler ever created. But nobody wanted them. The same sampler that is in the MPC 4000. Towards the end, Akai started practically giving them away. This was the last standalone hardware sampler made by any company. Software samplers have taken over the industry years ago. Let me take you to school:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=kontakt3&L=1

Every single feature that Kontakt has is more powerful than any hardware sampler ever created. Not some features...every feature. A 512 MB sampler with 64 voice polyphony can not compete. 64 voce polyphony means you can't play more than 64 sounds at one time. So your constant bickering about outdated sampler technology that can layer hundreds of sounds is silly....when only 64 can be played at one. Software samplers do not have this limitation.

You just lack the knowledge to hold this conversation. You need to pick up copies of Sound on Sound, Mix, Electronic Musician, Keyboard, etc so you can finally learn what professionals use. I will post some articles here for you to read if it doesn't violate copyrights.

SiMKE said:
Mpc 5000 os2 runs mv outta building.Now akai step their game up,but where Roland at???

Most of what's listed in the5000's OS2 feature list so far is already working on the 8800.

As of now the 5000 is highly unstable and that remains the case until they address all of the stability issues. The freezing problems are pretty bad.

Roland debuts their new samplers at Summer NAMM and reinforces at the following Winter NAMM. The only people expecting a new machine were those buying into rumors and speculation.

Amen to that bro. Akai screwed up by discontinuing the 4000 way too early. People just weren't quite ready and the fact that Akai did not even bother to release a final bug fix is proof of how Akai has no clue of what true professionals want.

Apart from all that though, the MV is doing great as it is, with virtually no bugs. Roland doesn't need to step up, at least for now. The MV works fine, even though I wouldn't say it's perfect.

Eventually they will come with a new MV.

You need to pick up copies of Sound on Sound, Mix, Electronic Musician, Keyboard, etc so you can finally learn what professionals use.

Instead of doing that, watch interviews or talk directly to actual professionals instead. Magazines tend to rip things out of their context just to make things look a lil' more controversial or they have articles of artists that don't really use the gear they're fronting.

Most artists do use all kinds of gear, but there's a lot of lying going on. Blame the industry, but if you want an unbiased opinion of what type of gear pros are using, you will have to talk with them.

Last edited:
You have obviously not read some of the magazines I am talking about. Many of then have articles with producers and engineers that describe what they do and use. Today, nearly all of the use software samplers. I can't recall any of them using an MV. Feel free to post a link to a current video where a producer and engineer indicates they prefer a hardware sampler like an MV instead of using the powerful software samplers that are available. The MV is doing great but it had a $800 price drop this year and expansions boards are discontinued. The actual unit will be discontinued very soon. Just something people should know when buying them. The MPC 5000s OS 1.02 has approx 2-3 dozen features that the MVs OS 3.5 doesn't have. MPC 5Ks OS 2.0 adds an additional 25 plus functions. A couple of those are available in the MV. Most of them are not. I repeat...most of the features of the new OS 2.0 are not in the MV. When the OS2.0 release drops, it will have over 3 dozen functions that the MV doesn't have. This is significant.

Facts...the MPC 5000s OS 1 is better than the MVs OS 1. The MPC 5000s OS2 is better than the MVs OS 2, 3, and 3.5.

The 5000 is unstable and does not work as designed or even consistently. It is underspeced and is suffering from poor sales.
The MV platform has been around since 2003 so whether it is dropped or not it still a better working machine than the 5000. The machine has sold great and now $1699 it positioned against the 2500 forcing buyer to think twice about the $3000 maxed 5000 price tag. Couple that with 3 year parts/labor warranty, Akai is going to have problems justifying the 5000's price tag as it has since its launch.

The MV works right now - the 5000 might work in Spring. The 5000 /3500 badge is badly tainted there should be more concern of Numark tossing the model and introducing a 6000. This 5000 cannot recover from lifetime rep of instability in two months.

What I did notice is that in none of the posted video does anyone show the OS2 actually working. ...fear of freezing perhaps.:rolleyes:

Good stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L22JiOCgDQ

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
Most of what's listed in the5000's OS2 feature list so far is already working on the 8800.

As of now the 5000 is highly unstable and that remains the case until they address all of the stability issues. The freezing problems are pretty bad.

Roland debuts their new samplers at Summer NAMM and reinforces at the following Winter NAMM. The only people expecting a new machine were those buying into rumors and speculation.
Listen here mv doesn't come close to mpc sound-wise it doesnl't have that flow or swing and those futures roland added don't mean sht because most important thing mv as a sampler machine is very bad,if roland improves that i might get it.I don't know anybody that had both machines who choosed mv over mpc,and am not talking about 1k or 500 am talking about mpc 4000/5000 or 2500 with jjos.Futures don't break music but swing a flow and sound does.

Last edited:
SiMKE said:
I don't know anybody that had both machines who choosed mv over mpc,and am not talking about 1k or 500 am talking about mpc 4000/5000 or 2500 with jjos.Futures don't break music but swing a flow and sound does.
I left the 4000 behind and got the 8800. I sold the 4000 a few months later. Most MV users have past experience with the MPC. The problem dudes have with the MV is that they treat as a MPC clone and isn't. There is unlearning to do when switching. The MV's shuffle/swing is more complex than the MPC but just as competent if one cares learns to control the parameters.

As far sound the 4000, 2500/5000, and MV all have three different converter chipsets so there are 3 different sounds. The 2500/5000 use economy grade NS chipsets, the 4000 used great converter, and the MV uses TI/Burr Brown PCM-series chipsets. The sonic signature of each unit changes with each model where there is change in conversion and / or processing.

"Listen here ..."

We can communicate as men without seeking to belittle the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
I left the 4000 behind and got the 8800. I sold the 4000 a few months later. Most MV users have past experience with the MPC. The problem dudes have with the MV is that they treat as a MPC clone and isn't. There is unlearning to do when switching. The MV's shuffle/swing is more complex than the MPC but just as competent if one cares learns to control the parameters.

As far sound the 4000, 2500/5000, and MV all have three different converter chipsets so there are 3 different sounds. The 2500/5000 use economy grade NS chipsets, the 4000 used great converter, and the MV uses TI/Burr Brown PCM-series chipsets. The sonic signature of each unit changes with each model where there is change in conversion and / or processing.

"Listen here ..."

We can communicate as men without seeking to belittle the other.
It is no secret that the MPC 5000 has some bugs in OS 1.02. I wrote about them in the MPC forum. As an actual user, OS1 needs to be fixed but is not unusable as you imply. I and several other MPC 5000 users have posted music created with the MPC 5000. This is something you have never done using your MV.

It is no suprise that most MV users came from an MPC backgroud being that they are the industry standard hardware sequencers. The MV is nothing more than an MPC clone. The entire layout is nearly identical. Everything about the MV including its name is a reference to the MPC series. The MVs shuffle and swing is trash when it comes to an MPC. Every MPC ever created has a better sequencer and better swing parameters than an MV. Did you actually pay attention to the products announced at Namm? Many of the products were based off MPCs. They even mentioned the MPC name when talking about the products. You will never hear anyone talking about an MV in this way.

When you break down the MV (as well as an MPC), you have the control surface, the sequencer, the sampler, the effects processor, LCD, hard drive, CD drive, and the AD/DA converters. The MPC 5000 beats the MV on nearly every front. The MPC 5K pads and Q-links are far superior to the MVs. The MPCs sequencer is superior to the MVs. The MV has better reverbs, but the MPC effects processor is overall more flexible and powerful. The MPC can record 8 tracks of audio on the hard drive the MV can't. The MP officially supports DVD Roms, the MV doesn't. The LCD of the MPC is adjustable, the MV isn't. In fact, the MV must use an external VGA monitor. It is almost useless without it. AD/DA converters? Are you serious? I don't care where you located your information on specs but every MPC sounds as good or better than an MV. But the MVs DA converters have been discontinued. Not to mention the MP has standard 10 analog outputs and ADAT digital output. Now the MV has an edge on the sampler. But this edge has all but disappeared with OS 2. They only edge where I would really give the MV's is its software interface is prettier with all the colors and graphic representation of knobs, sliders, and parameters. Also, it is dirt cheap now that it is being discontinued.

All of this has been discussed in the "What the MPC has that the MV doesn't" and "What the MV has that the MPC doesn't" threads. The MV got its butt stomped when we broke down the specific features.

Dude...this is an MPC 5000 OS2 thread. The fact that we are even discussing an MV in an MPC thread is proof that the MPC is the way to go.

Last edited:
Good job on spreading even more misinformation there, it really makes you look even more stupid. With claims like the 'MV is a MPC-clone' you really show that you don't know jack about the MV, regardless of how good the MPC5k is.

Bananasass said:
Good job on spreading even more misinformation there, it really makes you look even more stupid. With claims like the 'MV is a MPC-clone' you really show that you don't know jack about the MV, regardless of how good the MPC5k is.

You are joking right? Roland sat back and watch Akai for about 15 years before they released their version of the MPC.
mpc3000.jpg

200806051610320.Akai%20MPC4000small.jpg

The cheap imitation:
roland_mv-8000.jpg

I don't know jack about the MV? The entire design is copied from the MPC series. The pad layout, jog wheel, cursor buttons, number keys, pad banks, soft keys under LCD, onboard floppy drive/cd drive/hard drive, integration of sampler/MIDI sequencer, onboard effects, optional analog out expansion boards, turntable connectivity, multi level/velocity...the name MPC 4000 (Music Production Center) to MV-8000 (Music Production Studio)...everything about the MV screams cheap imitation. This is the reason why all those MPC type products that are coming out mention MPC and not an MV. Me even debating this fact with you is stupid.

You have obviously never used an MPC or MV.

Last edited:
It's clearly a competitor product, yes. It's supposed to be similar. Roland has always admitted they looked at the MPC, but really when it comes to the actual machine it's quite different even though you can generally do (also) the same thing.

You're acting like I said the MV was the first sampler machine ever or something, it's not. The MPC series obviously has dominated the scene for a long time. Saying the MV is a cheap clone is simply wrong, all I'm saying dude.

The entire design is copied from the MPC series. The pad layout, jog wheel, cursor buttons, number keys, pad banks, soft keys under LCD, onboard floppy drive/cd drive/hard drive, integration of sampler/MIDI sequencer, onboard effects, optional analog out expansion boards, turntable connectivity, multi level/velocity

Not really true as a lot of those things were being used on all kinds of Roland gear before the MV was designed. You're remark about the MV being a cheap clone is as stupid as saying a Korg Electribe is a Roland MC clone or the other way around...

Last edited:
Bananasass said:
It's clearly a competitor product, yes. It's supposed to be similar. Roland has always admitted they looked at the MPC, but really when it comes to the actual machine it's quite different even though you can generally do (also) the same thing.

You're acting like I said the MV was the first sampler machine ever or something, it's not. The MPC series obviously has dominated the scene for a long time. Saying the MV is a cheap clone is simply wrong, all I'm saying dude.

Not really true as a lot of those things were being used on all kinds of Roland gear before the MV was designed. You're remark about the MV being a cheap clone is as stupid as saying a Korg Electribe is a Roland MC clone or the other way around...

Akai doesn't compete. It is the industry standard regardles of what you use. Pro Tools is the industry standard regardless of how many people use Cubase and Logic.

I don't need you or Roland to tell me that the MV is a copy cat. It is not a competitor. It is a copy cat....a cheap clone. Roland only did cheesy groove boxes until they set-out to copy the MPC. There is no other Roland product that is similar. If so...name it so you ca further expose your lack of knowledge on this matter. The ASR-X and the RS7000 were competing products. But they didn't steal the MPC design like Roland. Roland are probably paying Akai royalties. I don't care about an Korg Electrogroove box....I am talking MPCs and MPC-clones.

You're forgetting the SP series; SP-505, SP-808 and when it comes to even closer MPC-likeness the SP-606. Those were the first true MPC-like boxes Roland made. Roland has a long history making drum machines, sequencers and especially synths. They even have been making phrase samplers for quite some time, like their MS-1. It really made perfect sense to make something like the MV.

As you see, Akai being the industry standard for a long time now when it comes to the MPC has little to do with Roland deciding it was time to finally join in on the fun in this area of the market.

In my opinion they should have done earlier, but as it's a niche market I don't blame them.

Akai doesn't compete. It is the industry standard regardles of what you use.

You're living in your own world aren't ya?

Last edited:
Bananasass said:
You're forgetting the SP series; SP-505, SP-808 and when it comes to even closer MPC-likeness the SP-606. Those were the first true MPC-like boxes Roland made. Roland has a long history making drum machines, sequencers and especially synths. They even have been making phrase samplers for quite some time, like their MS-1. It really made perfect sense to make something like the MV.

As you see, Akai being the industry standard for a long time now when it comes to the MPC has little to do with Roland deciding it was time to finally join in on the fun in this area of the market.

In my opinion they should have done earlier, but as it's a niche market I don't blame them.

You're living in your own world aren't ya?

You have obviously never used MPCs. Those cheap SP series toys were not MPC like products. No one will confuse those for an MPC. A drum machine yes. But not a full blown MIDI/Music production center. Those machines were not created for professional use. In fact, Roland stole the name the SP name. How are they going to use the name SP..when the original SPs were done by Emu...the SP-12 and SP 1200. Those were professional machines not cheap little toys.

It appears Roland has a long history of stealing ideas from small compaines like Akai and Emu. You do know that Roland is one of the largest manufacturers of music equipment? But they have always flooded the markets with cheap gear and various price points. I guess Akai was tired of them stealing ideas so they borrowed their strategy and released an entire range of MPCs at every price point: MPC 500, 1000, 2500, and 5000! I am looking forward to the 500XL, 1000XL, 2500XL, 5000XL, and the new MPC 6000!

But back to Roland. That didn't just join the same market....they tried to duplicate an MPC. Emu, Ensoniq, and Yamaha all made sampling drum machines/sequencers. But none of those companies went so low as to steal the design of the Akai products. Roland are theives and are trying to stomp out the little companies with no success. Professional use MPCs and not MVs.

And why are you still talking about MPCs when you don't own or use one? At least I am here talking about products I own.

Back