Mpc 5000 Os 2??

jahrome

Diamond Member
http://www.akaipro.com/spotmpcos2

From Akai's website:
1. Keygroup programs with support for S 1000/3000/5000/6000, Z4/8, and MPC 4000 format libraries :bigeyes:
2. Multipad select for gloabal editing of tuning, filters, pitch, pan, etc. You can select a range of pads you want to edit.
3. Panning of sample layers in keygroups and sample programs
4. Controller Grid Edit Window
5. Ability to Zoom in on individual sliced samples
6. Assign samples to program while in Trim Mode (Shift + Pad)
7. Knobs and Sliders take-over mode
8. Toggle between hard disk audio track and sequencer tracks mixers
9. Quantize track and pad mutes
10. EFFECTS and mixer automation :bigeyes:

Last edited:
The 1005 said:
Looks promising, but Akai is well known for not delivering what they promise.

I am sorry if that was your experience with dealing with Akai. But the OS 2.0 which adds numerous improvements and actual feature requests made by forums members..is very real. This update also includes bug fixes.

lvngdead said:
Ahhh, very very interesting. People will still be unsatisfied.

I don't doubt this....but most of those people don't own or use it. Us MPC 5000 users know the real deal. There is no drum machine workstation on the market that can compare. It has the most powerful feature of the MPC 4000 but is not difficult to use like the MPC 4000 or even MV. Create program and assign to track. The MPC is ready to go whether you use the drum pads or MIDI keyboard.

In response to:

jahrome said:
but is not difficult to use like the MPC 4000 or even MV.

It took me longer to learn the MV than it did the 2kxl, but now I;d say they are both equally easy to use.

Never touched a 4k, but that MV is no joke. You can move around that mother quick.

But I will say that, my experience with the MV and the Axiom 49 was not pleasant.

Last edited:
This is an MPC 5000 OS 2 thread. There are plenty of threads about what the MV can and can't do. With the announcement of OS 2 for the 5K...that MV can't do list has just gotten longer....The MPC 5000 can record Q-links movements which can be assigned to any effect parameter!

jahrome said:
This is an MPC 5000 OS 2 thread. There are plenty of threads about what the MV can and can't do. With the announcement of OS 2 for the 5K...that MV can't do list has just gotten longer....The MPC 5000 can record Q-links movements which can be assigned to any effect parameter!

It's about time time they stepped it up. Unfortunately it may still be a bit too late to save the 5000's rep. It's a shame that Akai will be counting bug fixes as part of the 25 improvements.

Being that it's not even released yet (and won't be for at least 2 months) these features don't actually exist and the bugs remain for the 5000 including the horrible freezes. until the update hits the market every 5000 sold will be subject to return and rejection. For this reason the update should have been available at NAMM and not a coming attraction.

BTW- the MV has been doing the assignable/automated effect and mixer thing since the 8000 was available. Akai still playing catch up I'm afraid.

In any case it's a good thing that the unit may actually get an update to bring it up to snuff.

moyphee said:
It's about time time they stepped it up. Unfortunately it may still be a bit too late to save the 5000's rep. It's a shame that Akai will be counting bug fixes as part of the 25 improvements.

Being that it's not even released yet (and won't be for at least 2 months) these features don't actually exist and the bugs remain for the 5000 including the horrible freezes. until the update hits the market every 5000 sold will be subject to return and rejection. For this reason the update should have been available at NAMM and not a coming attraction.

BTW- the MV has been doing the assignable/automated effect and mixer thing since the 8000 was available. Akai still playing catch up I'm afraid.

In any case it's a good thing that the unit may actually get an update to bring it up to snuff.

Sorry dude...the MV does not do what the MPC 5000 can do now and when OS2 is released. The MPC 5000 already has Mixer Automation as well automation for synth and sample program parameters. Now, it adds a new Q-link mode for effects. You can assign any effect paramter (Parametric-EQ Q, Resampler's Sample Rate, Reverb Decay, Delay feeback, Distortion tone, Multi-tap time, etc) to any of the Q-links and record this to your sequence. The MV does not have this power and flexibility. Roland loves to talk about how the MV can load Akai legacy formats. Well, the MPC 5000 can load Akai legacy formats including the Z-4/Z-8 and MPC 4000 formats. The MV? No.

Now, Akai does not count the bug fixes as part of their 25 improvements. In fact, many of Akai's improvements have not been advertised yet. As far as the MPC 5000 playing catch up...there are several dozen features that the 5K has that the MV doesn't and you know this. Plus, the MV isn't selling like all Roland workstations. They dropped the price of the MV twice over the past few months. Now they are offering $300 rebates directly from Roland.

But let's get back to MPC 5000 bliss.....

The 5000 doesn't do any of what you laid in any fashion and for good reason.

The update isn't available and until it is users are stuck with a machine that can't function without the fear of it freezing up during a session.

At $1699 the MV is priced alongside the 2500 and that forces the 5000 intoa niche market. With the price of the 5000 being roughly $3000 loaded it's going ti hard to justify even with vapor upgrade. $1300 extra for a synth and 8 HD tracks?!? As the only machine sitting out there for $3000, it's going to be pretty lonely.

The biggest question is to how to survive the sales slump until the update arrives. Then you can start to deal with the bugs in the new OS....sometime in Spring.

Arguing about software that isn't available is stupid. The MV has one feature that the 5000 will never have....a stable OS.

Anyway I leave you to find a new way to be relevant. Nobody cares about that machine anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep trying but no one is buying MVs outside of these forums. The price of the MV has dropped about $800 over the past few months. Products that are selling just don't do this. The expansion boards are no longer being sold.

Let me address more of your continued lies...
www.vstservice.com
The MPC 5000 w/memory expansion and DVD drive is $2599. The MPC 5000 and MPK49 combo is also $2599. These are the advertised selling prices. You keep telling people about the MPC 5000s list price and comparing it to the MVs selling price....you have no credibility in this forum.
keygroups4vh6.jpg

Keygroups with 64 parts! Not like the MV which only gives you 16 :(

Last edited:
The VST units are refurbs. they sell for sell for $1999 direct from Akai.
Even maxed out it's cheaper to go direct. Everyone that sells it new has it for $2599 AND FULL WARRANTY AS STANDARD..

As far as my credibility goes nobody has has questioned it but you.

However they reduced you down to a bad joke over at MV Nation. i read the thread where they called you on your "connected" status and came up lame.

Anyway it's great to the 5000 make a real run a at samplers released years ago. .......until then it's still VAPOR.

moyphee said:
The VST units are refurbs. they sell for sell for $1999 direct from Akai.
Even maxed out it's cheaper to go direct. Everyone that sells it new has it for $2599 AND FULL WARRANTY AS STANDARD..

As far as my credibility goes nobody has has questioned it but you.

However they reduced you down to a bad joke over at MV Nation. i read the thread where they called you on your "connected" status and came up lame.

Anyway it's great to the 5000 make a real run a at samplers released years ago. .......until then it's still VAPOR.
keygroups4vh6.jpg

Impressive looking vaporware :bigeyes:

Or how about this one:
moypeecp8.jpg

The only reason to get an MV-8800 today because they are giving them away. ROland dropped the price of the MV-8800 to the price of the MPC 2500 and...they are giving you $300 cash back so they can clear out their warehouses :) The MPC 5000 gives you over two dozen features that the MV doesn't. Fact...

Last edited:
keygroups.....better late than never I guess.

So the 5000 gets a feature present on the MV and 4000 for years.

That's heavy man.:p

Now for a reality check.

In case you haven't notice the market is veering away from hardware as a whole. They'll be some niche machines but the buzz this year is software, hybrids and lower priced machines. Even Akai is focusing more on software related products. There is no room for a $3000 machine that's in damage control mode.

If ain't released it's still vapor (Duke Nukem Forever).
OTOH 5000 users deserve a working machine.

Hardware platforms started to die over 10 years ago. Its 2009 and Akai is still here. The #1 choice for hardware drum machines/sampler/sequencer. Take a look at all the new groove products. They compare themselves with MPCs and not an MV :) But regardless, MPC users have used the very software you talk about that is taking over...along side the MPC...never a replacement. No hardware or software can replace an MPC.

There is no room for cheap imitations like the MV. When Akai released the MPC 500, 1000, 2500, and 5000...they completely locked down the market. There is no room for anything else..which is why the MV is being discontinued and the $800 drop in price. The MPC 5000 is for professionals...thus the $2600 price tag.

Another shot of the vaporware:
moypeecp8.jpg

The 5000 (and the 500) is a monumental sales failure. The massive return units prove it. This is OS is what should have been in place sine day one. The $3000 price tag for loaded unit will kill sales and because the launch of the 2.0 update isn't finished the current units are still filled with bugs. During that time the unit will take on more damage to it's rep. Because most users don't use the forums they will judge the unit at face value and that's bad.

A $3000 unit in this economic climate is catastrophic. As far as imitators, the 5000's effect set and feature set is as designed to compete with the 8800.

I have no doubt that all products come to end but the 5000 is fighting or it's life and it's less than a year old. There is no big buzz on the 5000. Side by side with 8800, most will find it difficult to justify the extra $1300. Couple that with the fact that Roland backs the 8800 for 3 years parts and labor. Most will ( and have ) found plenty they can live without in the 5000.

....but hey you got keygroups! Well you got bugs galore till Spring, but you're getting keygroups. :p

jahrome said:
Hardware platforms started to die over 10 years ago. Its 2009 and Akai is still here. The #1 choice for hardware drum machines/sampler/sequencer. Take a look at all the new groove products. They compare themselves with MPCs and not an MV :) But regardless, MPC users have used the very software you talk about that is taking over...along side the MPC...never a replacement. No hardware or software can replace an MPC.

There is no room for cheap imitations like the MV. When Akai released the MPC 500, 1000, 2500, and 5000...they completely locked down the market. There is no room for anything else..which is why the MV is being discontinued and the $800 drop in price. The MPC 5000 is for professionals...thus the $2600 price tag.

Another shot of the vaporware:
honestly man, grow up, you sound like a 14 year old arguing with someone that ur dad is stronger than theirs...

I work at guitar center... the mpc5000 has sold maybe TWO or THREE units since i've been at this location the past 8 monthes. Atleast two of the three were returned within a month. As an employee I get to play with both frequently, and now realize that this is the worst product akai has probably ever released, sadly... Before you go calling me a roland "fanboy" as you like to put it, I love the akai's, particularly the 3000, 2000xl, and the old school 60. However, you would have to pay ME to use a 5000 in the studio, as it is a major hinderance to work flow and production. The MV-8800, however, is very easy to work with(after taking time to read up on it and learn it a bit) and offers much better time stretching allogorithms, as well as a warmer sound when sampling into it. Also can play more akai sounds than ur own mpc! thats a major slap in the face to akai. OS 2 may help the few who made the mistake of keeping their 5000, however, it is not expected(by the majority of real producers and people I work with) to make much of a difference, and we are not ordering any new shipments of the 5000, as they simply don't sell.

Care to keep making yourself look like a child?

Last edited:
Back