MPC 4000 vs. MV 8000 or whatever

monstermunch

Well ah,I have been spending the last 2 months trying enjoy my new toy...the mpc 4000.Sadly I must say I am deeply disapointed.The sampling capabilities are nothing special compared to ensoniqs ASR 10 or ASR X capabilities which I grew up with.The effects in this so called flagship must be the worst I have ever tryed to use,with low output level or distortion before you even notice some kind of effect-ivity.Ok I must admit the seqencer is tight and pretty straight forward and the sound is powerful and punchy but all in all,2000 euros seem a bit to much for a good sounding sequencer.If youre just chopping up beats and you're a hard core mpc fan than you would probably be happy.
Things get worse when you buy this machine and realize that you cant audition samples from disk before loading,as advertised,and with the optional cd burner you cant even burn audio music,just files of songs and data.Customer support is as weak as it gets and after being one year on the market,the updates are not getting any better.
Its like being a test driver for a product which has an unclear future,I hate this approach and I am going to sell it asap.
The roland mv8000 seems like a much more up to date kind of approach and will consider a test drive.

The roland mv8000 seems like a much more up to date kind of approach and will consider a test drive

If you don't the 4k, I don't see how you make this assumption since the mv is a direct rip off the mpc's and if your a sampling type of guy the mv sucks cuz you can only have 8 audio tracks

That is completely false information. The MV-8000 goes beyond what was developed a few years ago on the MPC4000. The MV works differently. It is not a copy.

The 8 audio PHRASE tracks are in addition to the 128 MIDI tracks. If you actually owned an MPC--which you obviously don't--you would know that a MIDI event can trigger a sample. This is exactly how it is done on both the MPC and the MV.

Yes, I have one. It's terrific. I'm writing a long multi post review on another website.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is completely false information. The MV-8000 goes beyond what was developed a few years ago on the MPC4000. The MV works differently. It is not a copy.
Its whole design and look is ment to go after the MPC market and those that use a mpc

The 8 audio PHRASE tracks are in addition to the 128 MIDI tracks. If you actually owned an MPC--which you obviously don't--you would know that a MIDI event can trigger a sample. This is exactly how it is done on both the MPC and the MV.

As a matter of fact I DO OWN A MPC and have for a while Your making the assumption that everybody that uses a mpc uses it as a trigger for other midi devices. If that was true then 128 midi tracks are great for you. But If you use a mpc like a stand alone then 8 audio tracks suck.

If you actually owned an MPC--which you obviously don't--you would know

ps I was just putin a statement out there I wasn't attacking anyone's oppinion , so next time don't get your panties in a bunch, and keep the smart as$ responses to yourself.

Pase said:

If you don't the 4k, I don't see how you make this assumption since the mv is a direct rip off the mpc's and if your a sampling type of guy the mv sucks cuz you can only have 8 audio tracks
[/QUOTE

am i missing something? the roland does sample triggering and 8 audio tracks in ram. i thought akai only does sample triggering.

does the mpc4k even have audio tracks? i don't see how 8 tracks of audio on the roland can suck if the akai doesn't even support this feature. again, i'm not sure but let me know if the akai can do this.

i've hated the effects on every board that i've heard from akai. just my personal taste, tho. roland's got some creamy effects algorithms.

Last edited:
This post is going to make alot of MPC fans mad as f@ck.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mad: :mad: :victory: :victory: :victory:

That's a classic. I'm not mad. I know copying a design or not, that's how business works. Provide a similar product that appeals to your target audience.

It won't make them angry if they read the MV specs and the MPC owner's guide. There is going to be a period of confusion until everyone understands the advanced features in the Roland product.

The MV-8000 has a more sophisticated design and new terminology, using sound components called partials, patches, and instruments. Without any documentation the non-owners are going to make the mistake that only 8 tracks are for samples. This is completely WRONG.

The MPC4000 has equivalent "audio" tracks, which AKAI calls a "Drum" track. Their other type is a MIDI track. This is basic first generation 1980's design implemented on a box with other later design features.

Pase said:
As a matter of fact I DO OWN A MPC and have for a while Your making the assumption that everybody that uses a mpc uses it as a trigger for other midi devices. If that was true then 128 midi tracks are great for you. But If you use a mpc like a stand alone then 8 audio tracks suck.
No, you're making a mistake about how the MPC4000 works. See the diagram on page 78 of the Reference Manual. A pad hit generates a MIDI event! The event passes through the sequencer and then on to the sampler. The routing can be changed to send the events to an external module.

MPC_Producer, that's a great purchase son. We we're getting trained on repairing the unit today and it's definitely a sound and easy to fix unit from a technical standpoint.

Roland knows that there may be problems reading some AKAI S1000/S3000 sample cds, but will fix that with an O/S update in the new year, you should be good with most CDs though.

You should also consider copping the MV-OP-1 expander card for the extra six outputs. The price is good now as the unit has only been on the market a short time. Once the demand takes off, Roland will start merking people on the accessories. The name of the game, seen.

I have an MPC 4000 myself. As much as the MV has lots of great features, I feel it would be duplication to cop the MV in addition. Roland was late in releasing the unit otherwise I would have held off. Better late than never still. Pump out them tracks and enjoy the unit.

Peace.

I am going to buy the MV-OP-1 and the VGA board. It was only yesterday that I received the MV-8000 so I am not in a rush to expand it. Is the VGA board supposed to add a mouse port too? The manual only shows a VGA port. One would think the mouse is somehow connected through the USB port. As soon as that board is available I am going to order it and an LCD display.

Reading the manual takes time. There is much to learn. This isn't just an MPC clone. It is a new way of handling things. Roland did a great job. I can see how it will be months before everyone understands the way this machine works. I own a few MPCs, including the MPC4000, which gives me an advantage in understanding the similarities and differences.

I know Roland was late in releasing the MV-8000 because I too was waiting for it. What happened? Was it typical underestimation of project completion time? Or was there a distribution delay?

Hearing the news about the AKAI sample CDs is terrific. It is important to some people. Consider it a selling point in the near future, not that it ever mattered much to MPC owners.

I got a great deal on the MV. It was only $1,900. What a great markup there is for the retailers selling it for $2,300! If every retailer here sold the MV for only $1,900 that would be the death of the MPC4000. Can you imagine the shock?

I'm just wondering where you got your mv at for that price? I would most definitely consider picking one up for that price. BTW, great post.

akai owners look forward to the version updates(akai's trademark... we know this already... it's tradition!). the mpc vs. mv... i leave that to someone else. i've been dealing with the mpc's so long... the learning curve would be too much of a pain in the a$$.(yes, there is a learning curve).
when i go to someone else's studio, what's there? a mpc and protools(at least)... the standards in most studios(including my own). be patient and let the smoke clear... time will tell on both. ask yourself... how much of the device are you really going to use? why would you need mastering on a drum sequencer(mv-8000)? so, when you add vocals and mix it down... then master it again... you'll have a cluster. try sending your finished product to a vinyl pressing company and get a rude awakening. roland tries to do too much(as usual). *people who have owned their digital track machines know where i'm leading to...self contained+one package= lose one, lose all! we'll just have to see!

peace:cheers:

No, you're making a mistake about how the MPC4000 works
Your Right...
I was making a mistake about how the MV worked in-terms of the audio tracks and them being for linear track recording so on that point... My bad

Last edited:
I am glad to see that this thread is working...offcoarse that is also a point off view ,when you are doing all the job in one machine(sampling,overdubbing,mixing i.e.)the song or track or whatever tends to get a bit static,I mean basically your working with the same oscilators or dsp's or whatever.But I think nowadays where what you put in is what you get out,if you sample from different sources synths,mic,cd,resample,external fx and also use the mastering tools than you can probably achieve a good mix down.The idea of having the basic track all in one box is what I like.I have worked with the vs 1680 as a mixer and the quality was great.I also see the MPC 4000 more as very powerful sequencer with tons of sampling space,it just seems a shade out of date and as stated at the top I am a user and I have no idea what or when updates will bring.I cannot afford to have such an expensive sample trigger.There definitly is some kind of brand hype in this box also.If it wouldnt say akai on it,it would not survive in todays world...maybe.
THE SUPER-TIGHT-moPUNCHY MPC 4000 in the left corner and The ROLAND MV 8000 MotherSHIP in the right......NICE FIGHT-GOOD NIGHT....lets see who's right?

It isn't just mastering that is an advantage. You won't believe what I am going to be writing about in the weeks ahead. You'll see why there several advantages to this new hardware. There is a learning curve for sure, but it will be worth it. Features that you wished and hoped for on the MPC4000 are already there in the MV-8000. Keep reading my reviews. You're in for a few surprises.

Some people say the mv8000 comes with sounds, but I haven't seen that info from retailers, what's the deal on that?

Back