MPC 1000 vs. 2000XL vs. 2500

sharif

What is the real difference between the three machines besides memory capabilities? What would be more cost effective and worthwhile in the long run?

I was just about to open a similar thread.
Is the mpc1000 worth its money or should would a used 2000xl be a better investement?
The german akai website offers a comparison between the newer model which the international site doesn´t seem to have: german site

I couldn´t find any more information...

yes i was gonna start a thread as well.... i have been using the xl for a long time now and the chop/zone function on it works well for me... how is the 2500 chop function better/different than the xl's?

people argue about this topic all the time. I think they're all great machines. I personally like the MPC 1000 and 2500 because of the hard drive option. I have an 80 GB hard drive in my mpc 1000. The 2500 is very similar to the 1000, but it has 8 assignable outputs instead of four, a flip up screen, and the optional cd rom drive. The best thing about the 1000 is that you can make programs (.PGM files) on your computer using BlueBox. You can make a program in seconds, load it up, and start using it instantly without having to program each wav sample one by one.

T.One said:
can you do the bluebox thing with the 25

I think so because I went to Akaipro.com and it says the mpc 2500 is pretty much fully compatible with the mpc 1000 as far as .PGM files, SEQ files, and Project files.

sharif said:
Which has the ZIP?

The zip is for the MPC 2000 and 2000XL. You can transfer your data back and forth by hooking up a SCSI zip drive or some have a built in zip. The newer MPC 2000XLs come with a memory card slot built into the front so it kind of eliminates the need for a SCSI zip drive. Plus memory cards are 10 times less likely to mess up on you because there's no internal moving parts.

Last edited:
sharif said:
What is the real difference between the three machines besides memory capabilities? What would be more cost effective and worthwhile in the long run?

have owned EVERY mpc even made ( Except the 4000 )
But as of now here is how things stand in the mpc world..

The Mpc2500 is the most powerful mpc EVER made,this is the one to get if you got $1600 to sell out..
The direct record feature alone makes it a must have.

Also the mpc2000xl has been surpassed by the mpc1000 with the mpc1000`s new os upgrade..

The mpc1000 would be my second choice,its has most of the good things about the 2500,in fact the 1k is like a MINI 2500 now..and you can pick up a 1000 for only like $800 even less if used,the mpc 1000 is the best bang for the buck..
But it lacks in outputs and has small pads (this is its only downside)

Now the 4k is just way overpriced so I'm not even going to speak on it,i don't see why akai is still selling um for so much when the 2500 is hurting it feature wise..

If you going to step into the mpc world the 25 or 1k is the way to go,and remember I will be right here to help with any mpc support anyone needs.

That said on with the pros and cons of the MP1k vs MPCXL

The 1k can chop a sample into up to 64 slices,the XL can only chop into 16 slices.

The 1k has pitch shifting,the XL has no pitch shifting

The 1k has patched phrase,and XL has no patch phrase.

With the 1k you can sample while your sequence is playing,with the XL you cant..

The 1k has swing on 32 note TC the XL don`t..

Both the XL and 1k have time stretch,but the 1ks time stretch is was faster and has far better results..

But the XL do got a few things on the 1k.
The XL has auto chromatic assignment (when u can spread a one shot sample across your keyboards keys chromatically)
Also with the XL you can upgrade to 8 outs,with the 1k you only have 4 outs,but it comes standand...

Anothe huge issue is that akai will be doing more furure os upgrades on the 1k and adding more features,the mpc2000xl os has been discontinued.

ironbeatchef said:
But the XL do got a few things on the 1k.
The XL has auto chromatic assignment (when u can spread a one shot sample across your keyboards keys chromatically)
Also with the XL you can upgrade to 8 outs,with the 1k you only have 4 outs,but it comes standand...

dam you broke it down! that was dope. true- I wish the 1000 had more outputs, but if you think about it, there's really 6 assignable outs because the regular main out left and right can be tracked up as well. As far as taking a one shot and spreading it out across the pads, you can do that by pressing 16 levels and turning the wheel from Velocity to Tune. You'll have that one shot sample in 16 different pitches.

good lookin out ive been thinking about what i want to invest my money into

Yo does anyone know how to convert SND files from the mpc 2000xl into WAV files? I didn't want to start a new thread for such a basic question. One of my boys just sold his 2000xl today and is about to cop the 1000.

You don't need to convert. The 1000 reads SND files (I think you need the latest OS).

To the OP, personally, I'd go for the MPC2500. In terms of hardware, it's on par with the XL (except for the crappy jog wheel), the pads feel great. OS is obviously better than the XL and it also features a lot more nice extras compared to the 1000.

If you ring around, you should be able to get a good deal on the 2500, mine only cost around $300 more than my 1000. Well worth it. In fact in the UK, they've just hiked up the prices, and my 2500 cost me the same as a new 1000 does now.

The 1000 is okay, and you could always try the unofficial OS 3.0 which brings it closer to a 2500 OS, but personally I can't get past the terrible pads on the 1000 (also miss a titling screen).

So in overall including price, would the MPC 1000 be better for someone who needs a dedicated sampling device (and sometimes to use as sequencer with my motif)?

Also if I buy a used 1000, can I get the latest upgrades somewhere?

Last edited:
Nick Cervantes said:
Yo does anyone know how to convert SND files from the mpc 2000xl into WAV files? I didn't want to start a new thread for such a basic question. One of my boys just sold his 2000xl today and is about to cop the 1000.

Like my man said the 1000 does read sound files but theres that conversion problem with the media (I'm betting your homie doesn't have a flash drive in his XL). But to ultimately answer your question you can save your joints on the xl as wave files. Its so simple that I take it for granted to tell you how and I'm not nest to my MPC now.

Now for my question to you, can you get a hard drive in a 2000 xl? I didn't know that they offered them for any Akai products. Please get at me.

so i take it the 2500 has more or less everything the one K has but more. also if I were to say I could get a new 1k £500 and a new 2500 £869 which would you get?
money aint the issue as i have raided the piggy bank also anyone wanna buy a 2k?

with the mpc 1000 can u play the sample on a keyboard?
or could you only do it with a 2500?
and does the mpc 1000 come with a cd drive or are u able 2 put a cd drive on it?

Back