Maschine Vs MPC

Some one is fiesty today lol. U woke up for those black friday sales didn't you? Anyway I do most of those things without touching my mouse. They are all programmed to my controllers or I have keyboard short cuts. You are working way too hard to make Maschine something more than what it is and that's a hybrid drum machine. Its a great product. If I ever stop using Reason or my hardware stuff I'd probably jump on maschine but to pay $500 for shit that u were already doing in Reason is again fluff. These short cuts on the maschine controller could be achieved in Reason if one knew how to edit remote mappings. I personally don't know how to but I've seen some cool remote maps to cover all of those things.
^ Exactly.

@noborders
And yes you can edit and map waveforms, browse through sounds and load them with w/e controller, and do much more if you're creative and inclined to program it, oh and of course, while looking at a nice big computer screen. In simple terms, you could make it your own according to your needs.

Ever heard of max msp? All you do is build your own custom template. It's not even just for music, I could trigger pads on my mv to dim the lights in my room based on velocity if I want. But that's probably way over your head.

No matter what you say to this dude, he's going to say mashine is the end all be all.:monkey:

And yes you can edit and map waveforms, browse through sounds and load them with w/e controller, and do much more if you're creative and inclined to program it, oh and of course, while looking at a nice big computer screen.
You're completely missing the point. If you actually read what I wrote, I'm talking about being able to do all of that on the hardware controller without having to use a mouse or having to look at the computer screen, or doing any mapping or programming.
Ever heard of max msp? All you do is build your own custom template. It's not even just for music, I could trigger pads on my mv to dim the lights in my room based on velocity if I want. But that's probably way over your head.
The fact that you're mentioning something like Max/MSP which is the furthest thing you can think of from a hardware-style workflow and costs $4-500 and requires a significant amount of time to learn goes to show that what is being discussed is way over your head. :monkey:

You're completely missing the point. If you actually read what I wrote, I'm talking about being able to do all of that on the hardware controller without having to use a mouse or having to look at the computer screen, or doing any mapping or programming.

The fact that you're mentioning something like Max/MSP which is the furthest thing you can think of from a hardware-style workflow and costs $4-500 and requires a significant amount of time to learn goes to show that what is being discussed is way over your head. :monkey:
What is maschine essentially? A program that's mapped and integrated with a controller. You're able to do the same thing with any other controller and program/map it yourself to do w/e you want ..if inclined to.

Maschine is cool because you have the usability of the inbuilt screens to display information, but again you have a cpu screen for that. It's also cool for users who aren't into programming and mapping, just buy the product and learn the software itself, ..but you could do all that maschine does with any decent controller and program custom templates to run with anything you wish. Using max/msp opens up another world of control, but like I said, not many ppl are into that.

Maschine is great product, but it won't replace traditional hardware like you stated in another thread, and it certainly isn't all the hype that you and others claim it to be, it's great for software guys. Maschine is better compared to an mv than an mpc if were talking hardware.

Nope. It's not possible to do "all those things" with "remote mappings" in Reason. You're failing to see the level of total integration Maschine has. For example, you're not going to remote map your way to edit waveforms on any MIDI controller nor could you browse and load sounds like you can using Maschine controller's built-in screens. Not to mention that using generic MIDI controllers will still force you to keep looking at the computer screen.

You know - I don't have reason installed - but the old Korg Kontrol/MicroKontrol has a native mode for Reason that rivals what I've seen in the videos for Maschine. If you setup a Template or loaded a bunch of racks in Reason and then turned off the computer monitor, you could get by (except for sampling stuff). The little LCDs over each fader adjust to tell you exactly what you're editing. The main LCD changes to let you know what rack you're in (Subtractor, NNXT, Whatever that wack little step drum sequencer is, etc). It is ridiculous. You can switch from channels 1-8, 9-16 etc in the mixer with the arrow keys. You can adjust the start/end time of the samples with the pots (though it doesn't display the wave form), ADSR, etc. I think you can even setup song mode with it. Its a pretty tight integration. I don't think you can do proper sampling with it. I also doubt you can browse sounds from it, but that would be better from the PC anyway.

I'm not sure if it works with the current version of Reason - I haven't used it since Reason 2 or 3, but it was a pretty sick setup. Doesn't work when re-wired though... :(

...but these aren't your typical midi CC commands. I doubt you'll get this level of control using a BF2000 or whatever. I think that's noborders' point....and a very valid point (if you're concerned about not using the keyboard/mouse).

Doesn't really seem to be a fair fight honestly.

That said, my only beef w/ Maschine is: I can't use it without my computer.

1. I like turning off the PC and working from the MPC. If I'm feeling a idea, I'm moving it over to Cubase to finish. Its not really THAT big of a deal to move back and forth (sure would be nice if the MPC 1k were multi-timbral though :()
  2. I fear the maschine won't be supported when the next generation of OS's come out. If it were priced around $250 (or if they included it in the ½ off sale currently going on @ NI), I'd jump on it in a heartbeat and pray the software will work with Windows 8 and 9 and 10. I don't want to pray when I have $600 invested :(
Maschine is what I really everything want in a software sampler (and then some). It would be like dumping my MPC into Cubase without having the confusion of 2 sequencers running. The uncertainty of ongoing support is too great a gamble though :(. Maybe I'll wait and get it on ebay next year...

Its really ashamed the hardware is just a midi controller. If only it was more of a hardware device with software control as opposed to a piece of software with great hardware control...:monkey:

That said, my only beef w/ Maschine is: I can't use it without my computer.

1. I like turning off the PC and working from the MPC. If I'm feeling a idea, I'm moving it over to Cubase to finish. Its not really THAT big of a deal to move back and forth (sure would be nice if the MPC 1k were multi-timbral though :()

This is my only complaint with Maschine as well. I love it and can't wait for the VST support. It will open a whole new world for me personally and I will rely on it heavily.

The only thing is I wish sometimes I could sit on the couch or on the bed and just bang out tracks without having to have the laptop, interface, Maschine, keyboard, etc. It kills the ease of use. It stays set up with my desktop all the time because it's too much hassle.

Nope. It's not possible to do "all those things" with "remote mappings" in Reason. You're failing to see the level of total integration Maschine has. For example, you're not going to remote map your way to edit waveforms on any MIDI controller nor could you browse and load sounds like you can using Maschine controller's built-in screens. Not to mention that using generic MIDI controllers will still force you to keep looking at the computer screen.
or perhaps you fail to understand 1 how deep remote is and 2 how much of it can be edited if u know how to edit the mappings externally. Either way I have my shit setup to where I can browse patches directly from my mpk 25. I can't see the info inside of Reason from it but wtf do I want to look at a 2x4 LED screen when I have 2 15" monitors that I can look at the information from? If you like squinting to see what you are doing fine you can have that arguement but to say that you can't manouver throughout Reason without touching the mouse is ridiculous. I very very rarely touch the mouse when using Reason.

I called akai for help with my mpk 25 October 23rd. They said they would call me back in an hour. Today is November 28th and I have not heard back from them yet. Yeah akai is great alright. smh

NI are a terrible company whilst akai are truly ambassadors of customer support

akai 5 / roland 3 /N.I 1
Are you serious? Numark/akai/alesis is horrible when it comes to customer support. The old akai yea, but the new company, NOPE.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

I would choose a mpc over any of these alternatives
My 4000 is powerful and a better fit for me
Best mpc in my opinion. I ended up gettingt an mv, but I'm still able to mess with one from time to time. The mv is a better synth, but the akai is greater sampler.

Even if maschine could do filter modulations or have assignable program modulations that could be routed to anything, source or destination, with 3 different envelope generators and 2 syncable lfos per part like the 4000, or have 1lfo, 1filter, 1amplifier per pad, which is 96 pads per part, 16 parts, which in total is 1,536 lfos, multi-mode filters, and amplifiers, with each filter, lfo, and amplifier having their own envelopes, and could be routed, re-sampled, stacked/layered, and mangled again and again through the mfx like the mv, I still wouldn't be impressed. Thing is, just use w/e the hell you got.

Last edited:
Co sign the mpc 4000 is way better then a MIDI controller and software hybrid

It's a plug in at the end of the day

Some of you take this shit way too serious.
It's been said a million times. Use what works best for you.

NI are a terrible company whilst akai are truly ambassadors of customer support

akai 5 / roland 3 /N.I 1
Akai fanboys never cease to amaze with their delusional blind devotion to brand loyalty. You all need to face reality. Akai has not been paying attention to MPCs for a while. Guess who made the JJOS for the now discontinued MPC1000/2500 from being practically useless? Not Akai. And just take a look at the long list of bugs for MPC5000 that go unfixed for years on end.

NI on the other hand have been on fire, actively participating in the forums, directly answering questions, listening to feedback and actually implementing the features the users requested. We've received some major updates since Maschine first launched and all of them have been free, including the recently announced 1.6 which brings plugin hosting.
machine will be something that came and went i don't see longevity in this product
Hilarious stuff. Maschine is one of the biggest success stories for Native Instruments. You can see this in the amount of active development going on for Maschine. It's not going anywhere.

Akai, on the other hand, are discontinuing MPCs and have been focusing on making MIDI controllers and iphone apps. And guess what will happen when the pads/screen/switches/CPU board die and break (which they are notorious for) on a discontinued MPC, which is essentially a proprietary computer? It will be far more expensive to fix and would depend on whether a replacement part will remain available long after all MPCs are discontinued.

just wait and see ...I don't see somebody saying five years from now " hey I'm gonna buy a MIDI controller called machine

Back