Maschine, so who's got one?

An Angry Mohawk

I was fortunate enough to get a maschine from my lady for christmas, and I gotta say first, she is amazing, and second the maschine is great!

Did anyone else get one? For Christmas? Already have one? What do you thing of it so far? I love mine, my productivity shot up 10 fold.

It's sort of hard to classify which forum to post about it. I mean its a midi controller with software, but so tightly integraded with the software that you can do pretty much everything right on the maschine itself. Sampling is a breeze, and the upcoming update looks to make it kick even more ass.

So who's out there?

As soon as I get my money right I'm gonna buy one of those. My boy's got one that I've used a few times and it's just sick.

I love mine. I even brought it on a trip with me, and intended to do work, but i forgot the damn usb cord.... Doohh!

Now I look at it all pretty, dark, and lonely. The synergy it will share with its new soul mate, the mac book, as yet unrealized. The two lovers yearning to be united for a first time, and a last time as they shall not seperate again...

Oh wait it's f#ckin USB. Where's my wireless usb...

I have it, I love it, easily the best product to drop this year, last few years if I'm being honest about it lol.

love the workflow.

I had it stop playing sound for some reason, and not change samples but other parts of the thing worked. I unplugged it, killed the maschine program, opened it again and all was good. I save often so I didnt loose nearly anything. that was 1.1 and only once.

yeah I got one.. but you better step your computer game up cause everything is done inside your pc or mac... on top of that add your host program and vst you gonna need power for no problems... Theres a few major features that it cant do but version OS 1.5,in development stage is said to resolve these issues...

Can you use its MIDI out to control VSTi's in Ableton Live, and sequence everything on the Maschine ? Can you drag and drop the scenes from the Maschine standalone or plugin into Live as audio or MIDI scenes ?

After seeing the videos about using it at as a standalone, and MIDI controller for Live at the same time, and how well integrated it was, I'm getting seriously tempted. Its either that or the MPC for me right now.

And after seeing your video with Maschine controlling VST's in Reaper SaintJoe, I'm even more tempted, just not entirely convinced by its MIDI out capabilities.

I haven't tried it with ableton yet, I'm going to do that. i know on a pc, you need a virtual midi cable or you can create a physical midi loop to send midi out in standalone mode.

So you can either connect a midi cable between the midi ports on the controller, or use something like loopbe to create a virtual midi port on your machine. I've done both and both work well to sequence my vsts.

in the next update 1.5 they are supposed to be adding drag and drop midi to Maschine. They already have drag and drop audio.

I think Maschine will do what you want, especially since everything is already software for you, but there is no denying that the mpc is a great sequencer.

I don't use mines anymore.

I'm gonna mess with Maschine controlling vst instruments in live and see how I like it.

Don't take it personally, but when it never crashed or when you never experienced a bug with the Maschine, you never really used it to it's full potential dog.

Also, it still lacks awfully basic features like truncating samples, normalizing and all that. If the Maschine is supposed to be a true sampler, it's a crippled one at best.

how about maybe I just don't use it the same way as you?

I don't need truncating or normalize, though I know many do. I don't sample into Maschine... I use Maschine the same way I used my 4k, I load my samples as wavs into it, slice, sequence, etc.

Also use it as a sequencer to run other vsts.

It's all relative to how a person works, same with the 4k, there are many bugs on it, but they never got in my way based on how I work.

Many people hate the bugs on the 5k, others are just fine, it just depends on what you're doing. Same with ableton 8, there's been big complaints about the bugs in it, however I've seen just as many state that they don't have any issues. Just depends on what you do, there's more than one way to use these tools.

Maybe I haven't "used Maschine to it's full potential" whatever that means lol, but I use it how it fits in my workflow, which works great for me.

Yes there are some basic things that they need to add, but nothing that stops it from being a useful tool. The stuff I'd like to see are additions to my workflow and not requirements or show stoppers.

Maybe I haven't "used Maschine to it's full potential" whatever that means lol, but I use it how it fits in my workflow, which works great for me.

Yeah, I agree that comment of mine was a bit lame, as it's all about implementing gear into one's work-flow, but I personally was very disappointed about the Maschine stand-alone capabilities when it comes to sampling.

I'm not the kind of guy that relies on sample libraries built by others (I'm not judging anyone here, if it's good quality, why not take advantage of it), but as a pure sequencer I found the Maschine to be a bit weak actually. Personally I think the Maschine is too much of a DAW controller for my taste, even though the general idea should certainly be expanded upon by other companies.

Again perhaps a bit lame, but I can't wait for a Maschine 2 or a competitor trying to tackle the same underlying concept.

I feel ya man, it's all good! I def think there were some simple things they left out, but I still like it as I have a hands on way of using software. And it's very integrated so it's not like using a midi controller with Ableton...even though that's a powerful setup too.

I think we'll see more like Maschine, keep an eye out for MOTU BPM to drop their own controller for that. I just don't want it to start looking like the mpc, mv, asrx thing, we only have room for so many boxes lol.

I'd like to see a similar concept take on the workstation idea, not just the beat machine but like a dedicated integrated keyboard/software setup.

I just think this is the beginning and am looking for more hybrid instruments as well as straight hardware with a software fetish lol... (better integration of audio/midi into the digital world)

If the Maschine could work without a cpu NI would get my money

I like Maschine because I have instant access to my entire hard drive of samples without having to deal with small RAM amounts, in order to do that standalone they would have to basically build a small computer...something like openlabs and nothing like the current standalone machines we have.

If that was the case, I think the price would shoot up significantly...but hey, I'm all for innovation! If they could pull it off at a reasonable price point then I say go for it.

I doubt they will though, they are having good enough sales with the current model I suspect :)

I like Maschine because I have instant access to my entire hard drive of samples without having to deal with small RAM amounts, in order to do that standalone they would have to basically build a small computer...something like openlabs and nothing like the current standalone machines we have.

To some extent. It depends on your definition of standalone. (The Open Labs is not really standalone nor dedicated, it's just a big box with a couple of machines in there, making up a normal software-based rig). It's nothing new and it's certainly no next generation dedicated hardware that provides more software features than we have access to now.

In fact there are quite a few dedicated hardware combos that provide a pretty good all-in-one solution, while keeping access to software VST instruments and such fully open. When it comes to master sequencer functionality and sampling, a lot can be done without ever taxing said dedicated machine, especially as communication is only midi messages and recording audio won't really tax that much.

The main difference is that software is more flexible at doing the exact same.

Last edited:
well, we are talking about taking the maschine concept and making it standalone. Which means it will still have to be a sampler, and have it's own internal sounds, which it does now...in addition to be able to be a master sequencer.

I have tons and tons of samples tagged into my Maschine library, there really is no machine out now that can give me access to all my samples in the same way, none of them have a hard drive that big, nor do they support enough RAM to load them.

With Maschine on the computer, I don't have to worry about my ram at all. That's all I'm sayin. A standalone machine will automatically introduce some limitations in order to keep the price reasonable. Unless they build it on top of a dedicated computer platform, then things could get very interesting. :)

Back