MASCHINE!!! "Akai can kiss my ass."

Just played with one. Good build, feels very solid. The pads are the best I have felt for a controller. At the end of the day I really think it depends on what you are trying to do with the gear... On paper this thing has amazing specs, but the MPC is a classic tool and has worked very well for the past 20 years. I would take a used 1000 over this every time.

This man speaks the truth... LISTEN to him. Why are all these pad contraptions coming out??? To take the MPCs crown... IT AINT HAPPENIN YA'LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! I'm sure good music can be made on it.. just like a casio teach-you keyboard midi'd to FL Studio +VSTs... AND? The MPC has its place in history... like the asr's, s9's, the sp12s.. these other gadgets are just marketing schemes. I'll throw a $500 down that says there wont be a whole line of these over the years unlike Akai and the ever evolving MP. Sure you can make music with this toy but... "Akai can kiss ur ass..." U serious duke? If it wasnt for Akai you may not be listening to the same hip hop you grew up with daddy. Don't forget where WE ALL came from scrap....

Last edited:
I should have one next month. i will do some side by side videos with it an my mpc/logic pro setup

agreed please keep this away from a "i hate mpc's cause or mpc's are so much better because" instead lets focus on the the merit of this new piece of kit on it's own. I must admit I'm hesitant about buying it due to it's certain lacking features. the lack of timestretching (let alone realtime), proper truncating and a few other issues. but i remain very optimistic about the future for this product. so I'm going for it. looks like i should have it earlier than expected so I'm gonna try to do some vids showing initial setup and how the growing pains of going from an mpc to this are lol.

just got my maschine yesterday. tomorrow i'll see about recording some vids of what it is really like. btw i got guitar center to match a deal over at uniquesquared.com for maschine + battery 3 for $599!

Uh Oh, I think people are getting a little antsy because this "toy" squashes their $1000+ drum box

Another "Batman is stronger than Superman" thread...

So sad indeed as they're both awesome in their own way. I'm not much of a Superman fan, but the whole line of thought that the Maschine is better than the MPC series is a bit flawed.

Did anyone ever use it to chop up samples? It's a ***** or at least was when I first tried one (don't know if new software updates came out, probably).

well, you still don't get that famous MPC timing but hell you get everything else plus a bag of chips. The Machine look like it might be a suitable MPC replacement if you already use a computer in you setup.

The famous MPC timing is very much a myth though.

How is this done?

select your sound on the pad then hit the pad mode button and then the keyboard option. and it maps it out. very easy. so far i'm loving it. (keep in mind i am more comfortable on hardware then soft as that is most of my set up) the work flow is very fast, i rarely catch my self looking at my macbook when working on maschine. it is still very young though (still in the 1.0.4 version so thats way early in a programs life) so i look forward to the planned updates. i actually have decided to split my mpc out of my regular setup now because the controller for maschine is so nice and the pads feel so good that there isn't really a need for the mpc in that setup! so what i'm doing is i set up a seperate mpc area that is strictly for my original (old school) style of making beats. it's just my mpc, a turntable and a kaoss pad. that way i don't loose the sound i came up on. but yeah maschine is the future. (i still love my mpc and always will though.)

Damn i just looked at the price... can the axiom pro do all this stuff and then some? If so i'd more readily buy that.

Last edited:
hoenstly i know someone who has mpc5000 it's great piece of equipment but buggy as hell like most akai products they still havent gotten all of the bugs out of mpc 500.

You're very ignorant. So when it comes to bugs, Akai products are a no-go because of them, but with the Maschine you'll gladly buy a maschine that's still full of very fundamental flaws and loads of bugs???

You're ignorant and weird man.

Not everything new is also inevitably better. The Maschine certainly isn't there yet and still needs lots of updates.

And this is the first time that a step sequencer is made available in such tightly integrated hardware and software setup.

That's neither true nor a truly relevant argument. Perhaps if step sequencers were the only thing you could make music with. ;)

By the way, in comparison the Roland MV still easily has a better step sequencer.

The biggest flaw of the Maschine so far though, is the huge amount of bugs in the underlying software. You can say whatever you want, but even after the recent update it's still hardly truly usable for power users, because they'll most certainly run into all the bugs there are.

In short I'd take a more solid MPC or the rock solid MV series over the Maschine any day, for real.

garishguac you need to do some research on what the maschine actually is... (i mean no offense)
@Bananasass i am both an mpc "power user" and a maschine user and here is my view of it. 1) to say that it's step sequencer isn't as good as the mv8800 is just not true. the step sequencer is one of the things they got right for sure! as for bugs, with the 1.0.3 there are very few and rather minor bugs and i have run into maybe 2 bugs (both of which were simple work arounds). the ONLY things that are really holding it back right now are basically growing pain issues (alot of which are going to supposedly be dealt with in the 1.1 update.) "Maschine certainly isn't there yet and still needs lots of updates." i whole heartedly agree. but keep in mind the thing just hit the shelves not even a year ago! when the mv dropped it took a good bit to get it up to speed as well (the new o.s. on that thing is dope as hell but it's version 3! thats a ways off from 1.0) these things take time to really get rolling hell even my trusty mpc 2kxl had to be updated a bit before it was fully stable (let alone the short run the 2000 classic had before it had to be ditched) so i wouldn't be so harsh on such a promising new product (really all we have is something to gain as it fleshes out. hell look at the price tag and just think about whether it's a value. some may need to wait for it to be more fleshed out but as i see it right now I'm having a ton of fun on this thing and my mpc well it's jealous right now but not forgotten.) btw i got maschine for $599 with a copy of battery 3 for free at GC. thats a deal if ya ask me.

Back