"Legendary MPC Swing"

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Anyone here do good in math?

That's like saying on instruction one girl sux kok at 32 strokes a minute and another at 42 strokes a minute but take 2 second pauses every 35 strokes, upon being properly calibrated by you putting your hand tho the back of there head, it would take different ammounts of pressure to get them both to the same speed, but both can get there and both can get you your fix. lol.

That is the funniest SHYT I have ever heard....

I just spit my iced tea all over the screen!!!!!!

LMBAO
:cheers:

Ok here's the low down as I see it (only my opinion):

There are two types of MPC drum machines... There are the MPC's designed by Roger Linn and then there are the MPC's that aren't.

Roger Linn's designs: MPC60, MPC60II and the MPC3000.
The rest are purely Akai.

When people talk about the legendary MPC "timing correction" and "sound" it is the Roger Linn Machines that they are probably referring to.

Old samplers do color the sound. This is a fact. My MPC60 is 12bit and has a limiter on the sampling input to try and minimize digital distortion. Hitting the the input hard on a 60 gives you a solid punchy drum sound... and as a result of the filter on the DA (to lessen the digital harshness), the 60 sounds warm. Impressive considering it is only 12 bit!

Modern MPC's do sound the same as sound cards (they probably use the same pre-amps and A-D chips).

Now the swing... The MPC60 and 3000 have the same timing correction. The rest don't. The 60 and the 3000 to my ears have a better swing to the other MPC's. I don't know why this is...

By the way Roger Linn is a hero of mine (you may have guessed) and a hell of a nice guy as well!

I can't wait till Roger Linn and Dave Smiths new drum machine comes out! Bam!

Hugo

Try this:

in your computer DAW, make a 2-bar pattern with a hihat on every beat on track 1, then duplicate this on track 2, so you have to identical tracks with hihats.

now do the same on your MPC - two separate tracks of the same hihat sample set up so that they're supposed to play simultaneously.

In the DAW - you get perfect alignment, resulting in higher volume.
On the MPC - you get phasing on most of the beats, and the phasing changes as you let it play.

The MPC keeps the beat, but allows for a little variation.

Last edited:
huggie said:
Modern MPC's do sound the same as sound cards (they probably use the same pre-amps and A-D chips).

I got an old SB128 which costs about 10$. There is the Digidiesign Digi 002 which costs 1500$. can you really believe they have the same A/D converters an sound the same?

even sound cards got a huge difference in sound.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
There's millions of factors that effect overall timing in production.

yeah you're right plus we talk about very little delays.

once I tried this : got a very groovy beat into Soundforge, and I inserted a few ms long silent delays at random places between the drum hits (I ****ed up its timing).. the beat just swinged with the same feel and still made me nod my head though the delays was very noticable..
that's why I say this is in the sound

Last edited by a moderator:
huggie said:
Ok here's the low down as I see it (only my opinion):

There are two types of MPC drum machines... There are the MPC's designed by Roger Linn and then there are the MPC's that aren't.

Roger Linn's designs: MPC60, MPC60II and the MPC3000.
The rest are purely Akai.

When people talk about the legendary MPC "timing correction" and "sound" it is the Roger Linn Machines that they are probably referring to.

Old samplers do color the sound. This is a fact. My MPC60 is 12bit and has a limiter on the sampling input to try and minimize digital distortion. Hitting the the input hard on a 60 gives you a solid punchy drum sound... and as a result of the filter on the DA (to lessen the digital harshness), the 60 sounds warm. Impressive considering it is only 12 bit!

Now the swing... The MPC60 and 3000 have the same timing correction. The rest don't. The 60 and the 3000 to my ears have a better swing to the other MPC's. I don't know why this is...

By the way Roger Linn is a hero of mine (you may have guessed) and a hell of a nice guy as well!

I can't wait till Roger Linn and Dave Smiths new drum machine comes out! Bam!

Hugo

Show me some specs about any type of limiting on the mpc60 input.
I have never heard of such.
I've read where Roger Linn stated that they put a slight hi-pass on the outs to make it sound brighter than the s900, but not this.

I have read where Micheal from midicase.com has stated that the 3000, and 2000 share the same internal parts (processor, and convertors, etc).
Other than hearsay he's the only one (he used to repair mpc's, maybe still does?) who could tell by verifying part numbers.

Don't ask for the link because I'm too tired, and I think it's somewhere in this old thread anyway lol.

an MPC IS a computer running software. is it so difficult to understand?!

there are no differences.

Quantize the sample, Program the drums with Quantize Off. The "Groove" or "Soul" comes from the programmer not the program. I can get the same "Groove" from my ASR X Pro, my SP404, FL, Reason, and my MPC. It's the person.

Mickey Knox said:
Quantize the sample, Program the drums with Quantize Off. The "Groove" or "Soul" comes from the programmer not the program. I can get the same "Groove" from my ASR X Pro, my SP404, FL, Reason, and my MPC. It's the person.
I've been saying this for years. And it more involves the swing actually applied in an mpc. To me, that's where the mpc swing is important, when you actually use the swing. But so many other things can do the same.

I do feel that the mpc has a natural swing though, if that's not true, maybe i'm just hearing things but it defineatly taught me how to use swing and my drums sound way less "stiff" on an mpc compared to reason without using any swing on both. But add a touch of swing in reason and i get a feel similar to an mpc.

Man there is a different thing betwen swing ( getting closer to tripplets ) and human touch on quantized beats. Personally I owned both MPC and Software like Reason Cubase etc. And I definitely can SAY that when you both quantize as 16ths you will ´get slightly different results.
DAWs are too accurate and the MPC is a bit sloppy. Even AKAI themselves know and say that the MPC series will maintain their Groove and Feel. Now **** all ya !! Here is a link for you ******* who wanna use the perfect quantization and not SWING !!!!! of the MPC3000. Use them and get astonished, or try to play your drums 5 or 6 times after each other to get the groove you want without quantization at all !

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RIRQQYCT</pre>

heh heh heh...13 pages of this?? LOL...'swing' is an utterly played out and abused concept at this point. Most DAW's if not all have 10 times the timing resolution @ 960 ppq vs. 96 ppq. The 'swing' or 'human feel' possibilities are a lot more flexible than most hardware sequencers.

The Korg Triton step editor is double @ 192 ppq instead of 96 ppq so there's even more flexibility in Triton 'swing' or 'human feel' possibilities than MPC's anyway. On top of all that 'swing percentage' is garbage. All you need is the 'swing amount' if we are talking MPC's. It's exactly 1 swing amount per 1 ppq shift...no experimentation necessary. So swing amount @ 1 instead of 0 renders the note played @ 49 on the ppq scale instead of 48...2 would be 50 instead of 48. This all makes sense if you have a brain. Kill the 'swing' hype people...it's not new, interesting or innovative. The thread closer has spoken...LOL....

Is this thread still going?

Just use pure audio instead of bloody MIDI and all of a sudden you've got a resolution of infinity:sing:

That's why a Jazz band has perfect swing lol

MPC swing..

Man...the famous Quantinize debate.

I think people quickly forget about human feel. Like the sameway we all love breaks from old records. WE gotta remember those were drummers..PEOPLE! Sooo what I am saying is machines don't swing..people do! Hence Dilla and Hi-Tek! Both turned off the quantinize and do there drums free hand leaving room for mistakes! To er is only human...right?.. Yall don't feel me tho.. I use both MPC and FL..im not hear to argue about color of sound..because in the end it's up to you to mix and EQ your final output in whatever you record it in. But I can use FL or MPC the sameway because I already know how I want my drums to hit and swing.. FL may require more tweaking..BUT I bet no one can distinguish one of my MPC beats from my FL beats.

BTW...what up Mattman!!! its your boy Lo'Ki I've known you since the sampletrak days!..LOL Holla atcha Boi!

soundclick com / KiofNC

I can't post URL's yet..LOL

Lo'Ki

Mattman04 said:
Show me some specs about any type of limiting on the mpc60 input.
I have never heard of such.
I've read where Roger Linn stated that they put a slight hi-pass on the outs to make it sound brighter than the s900, but not this.

I have read where Micheal from midicase.com has stated that the 3000, and 2000 share the same internal parts (processor, and convertors, etc).
Other than hearsay he's the only one (he used to repair mpc's, maybe still does?) who could tell by verifying part numbers.

Don't ask for the link because I'm too tired, and I think it's somewhere in this old thread anyway lol.
I asked Roger about the MPC60 a few days ago. How did he get the MPC60 to sound so warm even though it was 12bit... Pre-emphasis. He boosted the treble before sampling and cut it on playback. I remember doing that on tape as poor man's noise reduction! Simple but effective...

Doah!!...I was wrong about the limiter though. Guess the 12bit A/D is doing the squashing...

As for the swing... He wouldn't elaborate on how he did it... but reckoned he put a lot of thought into groove and it's effect on rhythmic music. Oh well, what ever he did worked and I still think the 60 and 3000 have got the best swing feel of all the MPC's...

Hugo

If you want that real Mpc experience nothing is better than a well maintained mpc60II, if it doesn't have Roger Linn's name on it then it's a bootleg mpc.

Black_Universe said:
Man...the famous Quantinize debate.

I think people quickly forget about human feel. Like the sameway we all love breaks from old records. WE gotta remember those were drummers..PEOPLE! Sooo what I am saying is machines don't swing..people do! Hence Dilla and Hi-Tek! Both turned off the quantinize and do there drums free hand leaving room for mistakes! To er is only human...right?.. Yall don't feel me tho.. I use both MPC and FL..im not hear to argue about color of sound..because in the end it's up to you to mix and EQ your final output in whatever you record it in. But I can use FL or MPC the sameway because I already know how I want my drums to hit and swing.. FL may require more tweaking..BUT I bet no one can distinguish one of my MPC beats from my FL beats.

BTW...what up Mattman!!! its your boy Lo'Ki I've known you since the sampletrak days!..LOL Holla atcha Boi!

soundclick com / KiofNC

I can't post URL's yet..LOL

Lo'Ki

Whats up Lo'Ki.
I still rock the sampletrak. I just love the way drums/samples sound on that thing.
I usually make beats on my pc, but once in a while you just gotta go back to your roots. Heck I still have my Casio sk-5 that I made my very 1rst sampled beats with back in 1990 lol.
Now that thing is gritty!

huggie said:
I asked Roger about the MPC60 a few days ago. How did he get the MPC60 to sound so warm even though it was 12bit... Pre-emphasis. He boosted the treble before sampling and cut it on playback. I remember doing that on tape as poor man's noise reduction! Simple but effective...
Hugo

Yeah I think that's what I read in an old Keyboard mag.

Hey how do you think his project with Dave Smith will turn out by the way?

Last edited:
Mattman04 said:
Yeah I think that's what I read in an old Keyboard mag.

Hey how do you think his project with Dave Smith will turn out by the way?

They have both been busy with other projects but it's still going to happen! When?... I could only speculate so I won't....

Hugo

Back