I Know The MPC 4000 Is A Full Blown SYNTH & All But...

Originally posted by Beatz Galore
Can u hook up a turntable to the FANTOM without a mixer like u can with the 4000?

That I am not sure. I have the Fantom XR which sounds better with a turntable connected to a mixer for sampling. My Triton Studio has an input gain knob but I still like connecting my turntables into a mixer for sampling. The Fantom may have a internal/external gain as well. I would visit www.rolandus.com to check for the specs.

Last edited:
jahrome said:

That I am not sure. I have the Fantom XR which sounds better with a turntable connected to a mixer for sampling. My Triton Studio has an input gain knob but I still like connecting my turntables into a mixer for sampling. The Fantom may have a internal/external gain as well. I would visit www.rolandus.com to check for the specs.

They don't have no info on if the Fantom can but I know the MV-8000 can, I think I seen it on their demo video on the site yesterday.

Beatz Galore said:

hell, if i could get a roland xv-5050 for $400 off ebay, wouldn't that just about do the trick?

I'd send my Korg Microkontrol back for another midi keyboard with more keys..maybe 49 keys like them m-audio joints.

My next question would be, which has better effects, the fantom or 4000? The reason I kinda DON'T wanna get the fantom is cuz I hate that linear sequencing ish. I know I could sequence on the 4000 but I'd be saving an extra $2000.

I noticed that you said that you don't like linear sequencing. Well the Fantom S/X has Linear and Pattern based Sequencing. I'm a former MPC 3000 / 2000xl owner who have found the Fantom to be the complete workstation. It has Pads for the drums (Which I rarely use), it has Realtime timestretch, there is a chopping function which can do everything the MPC can do. The manual doesn't explain Pattern Based Sequencing as much as it should but I use it everyday and I love it. I was also able to save my entire MPC 2000xl sound database into the Fantom, it loads up automatically everytime I boot the Fantom. Based on the internal sounds, features and cheaper price, I would go with the Fantom if I were you. I'm using the Fantom S which I purchased for $850 on Ebay and it runs circles around the MPC 2000xl. The only thing the 4000 has that I wish the Fantom had is the internal Harddrive. I have saved 1000's of sounds in the Fantom S and my 128mb memory card is still only half full.

For more information on the fantom go to http://fantomized.info/

There you should be able to get any question regarding the Fantom answered.

Most questions are answered in the Forum.

Last edited:
Originally posted by tjudge
I'm using the Fantom S which I purchased for $850 on Ebay and it runs circles around the MPC 2000xl.

The MPC 2000Xl and the Fantom are not in the same category. One is a sampling drum machine/MIDI sequencer and the other is a music workstation.

The MPC is designed to be used in conjuction with MIDI sound modules and workstations. The Fantom is less desirable sequencing external modules IMHO.

If you are going to get a Fantom, I would save for the Fantom X which has been remarkably improved over the Fantom.

jahrome said:

The MPC is designed to be used in conjuction with MIDI sound modules and workstations. The Fantom is less desirable sequencing external modules IMHO.

If you are going to get a Fantom, I would save for the Fantom X which has been remarkably improved over the Fantom.

They are different but the same. You do your beats a different way for the same result. Trust me, I was a Dedicated MPC producer for 10 years. Me personally, I have gotten rid of everything except the Fantom and it has not disappointed me. There was a very steep learning curve at first but I am very confortable with it now

I agree, if you are sequencing external modules, the Fantom is not the best choice. Although it can be done effectively. I purchased a Fantom X before I purchased the S. The differences didn't justify paying $1999. The Fantom X has a color screen, 128 Poly, 512mb memory Max, a better Piano Patch and you can mute sequencer tracks using the Pads. Otherwise, it is the exact same machine.

tjudge said:

I noticed that you said that you don't like linear sequencing. Well the Fantom S/X has Linear and Pattern based Sequencing. I'm a former MPC 3000 / 2000xl owner who have found the Fantom to be the complete workstation. It has Pads for the drums (Which I rarely use), it has Realtime timestretch, there is a chopping function which can do everything the MPC can do. The manual doesn't explain Pattern Based Sequencing as much as it should but I use it everyday and I love it. I was also able to save my entire MPC 2000xl sound database into the Fantom, it loads up automatically everytime I boot the Fantom. Based on the internal sounds, features and cheaper price, I would go with the Fantom if I were you. I'm using the Fantom S which I purchased for $850 on Ebay and it runs circles around the MPC 2000xl. The only thing the 4000 has that I wish the Fantom had is the internal Harddrive. I have saved 1000's of sounds in the Fantom S and my 128mb memory card is still only half full.

For more information on the fantom go to http://fantomized.info/

There you should be able to get any question regarding the Fantom answered.

Most questions are answered in the Forum.

Hmm..

Well, maybe I'll go to a store and try out the Fantom's pattern based sequencer. I didn't know it had one what-so-ever. I'll never be as comfortable with it as an MPC's sequencer but it's nothing wrong with learning something new.

My limit on my musicians friend card is $2,000, just enough for the Fantom. So I may have to go in that direction cuz I don't WANNA wait to save for the mpc LOL as much as I WANT the 4000, I already have loops and chopped samples that I wanna get to NOW. The only way I can get started SOONER is if I buy the fantom.

I MAY just save and get the MPC4000 used later cuz 2,700 (new) is just TOO much for me to put down right now.

Originally posted by tjudge
They are different but the same. You do your beats a different way for the same result. Trust me, I was a Dedicated MPC producer for 10 years. Me personally, I have gotten rid of everything except the Fantom and it has not disappointed me. There was a very steep learning curve at first but I am very confortable with it now
With that thinking, than anything that you can create music with is the same. As long as you already have a computer, than you can just get Logic, Cubase, or Pro Tools LE and some software synths/samplers to do the same thing but a different way.

If the only feature that you like the MPC 4000 over Fantom is the MPCs internal hard drive than it is likely that you don't know the MPC 4000 well. I let my MPC 4000 go just because I wasn't using all of its features. I just use my MPC for drums and sequencing and any MPC can do that with excellent results.

Beatz Galore, as I said before, once you make your choice, stay out of the forums unless you need some technical advice on the gear you get. Otherwise, fellow FP members will talk you out of the gear you choose and you will be forever trying to upgrade your production equipment like many of us :)

Man...I am about to go get some KFC, watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, go to a parent-teachers conference, and then come home to do some tracks :)

jahrome said:

With that thinking, than anything that you can create music with is the same. As long as you already have a computer, than you can just get Logic, Cubase, or Pro Tools LE and some software synths/samplers to do the same thing but a different way.

If the only feature that you like the MPC 4000 over Fantom is the MPCs internal hard drive than it is likely that you don't know the MPC 4000 well. I let my MPC 4000 go just because I wasn't using all of its features. I just use my MPC for drums and sequencing and any MPC can do that with excellent results.

Beatz Galore, as I said before, once you make your choice, stay out of the forums unless you need some technical advice on the gear you get. Otherwise, fellow FP members will talk you out of the gear you choose and you will be forever trying to upgrade your production equipment like many of us :)

Man...I am about to go get some KFC, watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, go to a parent-teachers conference, and then come home to do some tracks :)

nah, folks on here couldn't influence me on getting what i need...i merely listen to opinions from owners and decide which is right for me...

when i've got what i've got, i won't switch, i'll just make due with whatever i have til i can add the OTHER piece (fantom or 4000 and vice versa)

oh yeah, get me a chicken tender meal..with two extra biscuits and some potatoe wedges

did u ever get my pm regarding them mpc 4000's on ebay?

Last edited:
I had a mpc a roland 5080 and a triton. i sold all that **** like (8)months ago bought a fantom s had that for a month traded in to get the x when it came out bought reason and never looked back just bought ableton and i am trying to learn it. Like jarome said its not the equipment its the time you put behind that equipment.

MIDAZ said:
I had a mpc a roland 5080 and a triton. i sold all that **** like (8)months ago bought a fantom s had that for a month traded in to get the x when it came out bought reason and never looked back just bought ableton and i am trying to learn it. Like jarome said its not the equipment its the time you put behind that equipment.

nah, i know all that..

but i'm a former MPC owner who'd love to have another (better) mpc, is there anything wrong with that?

I've never OWNED a roland product so I know NOTHING about em besides what I research and read on here from owners. So obviously fear of what I don't know would have me wait before I just jumped out and purchased it. Trust me, I've read every last thread here, at fantomized, harmony central, and sonic state about the fantom. I've read the good and the bad. Now although there's ALOT of stuff I dig about the Fantom, there's a few things I'm not too fond of that I'm hearing also.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Beatz Galre
Now although there's ALOT of stuff I dig about the Fantom, there's a few things I'm not too fond of that I'm hearing also.

Went to Burger King instead and Buffy just had a commercial break :)

Right now there are several major workstations out there in the same price range: Roland Fantom X, Yamaha Motif ES, Korg Triton Studio/Extreme, and the seldom mentioned Kurzweil 2600 series (which are one of the most advanced workstations available and cost a little more than the others). All of these workstations have one or more features that may be just a little bit better than any of the other workstations. But all of them basically do about the same thing...honestly.

And powered monitors can be connected to any of these workstations.

Last edited:
jahrome said:

be connected to any of these workstations.

check it out J, i got a pair of these

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudioPro4-main.html

prollem is, the input jack is like the one u connect your headphones to your compact cd player (1/8” stereo headphone jack)..wouldn't i need an adapter of some sort? or couldn't i just get the 1/4th inch adapter and plug it into the fantom headphone jack and hear em out loud like that?

I was planning on sending em back but since i just found out i can connect the powered joints to the fantom without an amp or whatever, i might as well keep em

Last edited:
Originally posted by Beatz Galore

check it out J, i got a pair of these

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_...oPro4-main.html

prollem is, the input jack is like the one u connect your headphones to your compact cd player (1/8” stereo headphone jack)..wouldn't i need an adapter of some sort? or couldn't i just get the 1/4th inch adapter and plug it into the fantom headphone jack and hear em out loud like that?

I was planning on sending em back but since i just found out i can connect the powered joints to the fantom without an amp or whatever, i might as well keep em

If you decide to keep these, you will an adaptor or 1/4" to 1/8" cables by what you are telling me. You would not connect them to the Fantom's headphone jack but the 1/4" stereo outputs jacks of the Fantom.

My advice for your future purchases..is to never buy anything for your studio with 1/8" or RCA inputs/outputs (not including SPDIF digital in/outputs)including sound cards for your PC. Gear with 1/4" and XLR inputs/outputs are usually professional or semi-professional.

jahrome said:

If you decide to keep these, you will an adaptor or 1/4" to 1/8" cables by what you are telling me. You would not connect them to the Fantom's headphone jack but the 1/4" stereo outputs jacks of the Fantom.

My advice for your future purchases..is to never buy anything for your studio with 1/8" or RCA inputs/outputs (not including SPDIF digital in/outputs)including sound cards for your PC. Gear with 1/4" and XLR inputs/outputs are usually professional or semi-professional.

thanks

i didn't even KNOW these joints i had 1/8 inch outputs..until i opened the box...

that's due to the fact that i NEVER purchased a pair of monitors

Last edited:
jahrome said:

I think you're missing my point. First off, I could not or would not try to sway any ones decision on what they purchase. I'm not a salesman for Roland. As a former Triton, Motif and MPC owner, I just thought that I would share my opinions from what I know. What is good for me may not be for other people. I know people who make incredible tracks on Reason and Fruity loops, me personally I can't. I must have hardware. It all comes down to the time you put in learning what you have. As for the comment about not knowing the MPC 4000 well, I knew it well enough to know all about the features that I would use. Personally, I used it only to make beats. Most of the features on the MPC 4000 were useless to me as there are functions on the Fantom that I'm not interested in. I was once in this same position and I listened to everyones advice and comments. When I purchased the Fantom, at first I though I made a big mistake, but soon I realized that this is what I have been looking for to get the most out of my music. If money were not an issue, we all would have the latest greatest. But ultimately, it doesn't matter what type of MPC, module or synth you have, creativety has to come into play. The final result is all that matters.

Ight cool..

so now I got the Turntable, Mixer & Powered Monitors

All I need now is the Fantom, some sort of table to lay it on & a basic laptop (nothin special).

:)

Back