I Know The MPC 4000 Is A Full Blown SYNTH & All But...

tjudge said:

I think your mind has been made up 7 pages ago. The MPC's are good, the Tritons are good, The Fantoms are Good, Reason and Fruity loop are good, Hard disk recorders are good, Motifs are good, Harddisk recorders are good, PC Sequencing programs are good. The only thing that's missing is, which one are you good at? It's obvious that everyone here has their favorites that work best for them. But you need to determine what works best for you.

well, obviously i'd never actually crafted a beat on a fantom so who knows if i'm "good" with it? I know the ASR already so that helps. I know the MPC and that helps. I'm not a "newbie" when it comes to making beats, but I am a newbie when it comes to other aspects of music production and sound outside of the actual crafting of beats.

I already KNOW what i'm getting, the thread has been prolonged for other comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
I went to sam ash today and played with the X6...

WOW

Keyboard is PHENOMENAL...I don't even see why people complain about the pads...they aren't mpc pads but they ain't HALF bad...atleast u have more natural drum programming than on keys...

Definintely the best workstation I ever played with...

My gripe against the pads, isn't about how they feel, but that you only get 16. You can't bank them up or down, to hit other octaves, like the MPC. You can only assign 16 samples to the pads, and you assign it to a midi channel, and it's difficult to switch to another channel(for live use that is).

thunderkyss said:
My gripe against the pads, isn't about how they feel, but that you only get 16. You can't bank them up or down, to hit other octaves, like the MPC. You can only assign 16 samples to the pads, and you assign it to a midi channel, and it's difficult to switch to another channel(for live use that is).
Why do u need banks?? if your only using drums, all you need is a kick,snare,hi-hat,congo,etc.

thunderkyss said:

But you can still bank a sound throughout the entire Keyboard. I've never had to even use all 16 pads. The MPC has to have all of the banks so that you can access the sounds that are currently in memory. The Fantom has thousands of sounds already in memory accessible by the Pads or the keys.

qbsfinest said:
Did u even get a chance to touch a motif Es?

i used to work at guitar center so i played with the motif all the time

i played with the fantom then too, but i wasn't interested in getting back into beats so I really payed it NO mind.

this was early 04, like january

Last edited:
tjudge said:

But you can still bank a sound throughout the entire Keyboard. I've never had to even use all 16 pads. The MPC has to have all of the banks so that you can access the sounds that are currently in memory. The Fantom has thousands of sounds already in memory accessible by the Pads or the keys.

yep, that's how i felt about it. 16 pads and 61 keys will do me fine.

The whole idea behind the pads, was so that you'll have two totally different control surfaces for live performances.

You can split your keyboard up with your bass, EP, and pad sounds, then use the pads for samples, RPS, or other loops. 16 works fine for that, for one song. If you switch banks, then you could have even more loops to trigger from the pads.

You're right, 16 is fine for me, banks would've just been better.

thunderkyss said:
The whole idea behind the pads, was so that you'll have two totally different control surfaces for live performances.

You can split your keyboard up with your bass, EP, and pad sounds, then use the pads for samples, RPS, or other loops. 16 works fine for that, for one song. If you switch banks, then you could have even more loops to trigger from the pads.

You're right, 16 is fine for me, banks would've just been better.

agreed

yeah i was playing on the fantom pads a couple weeks ago, i just didn't like the sounds of the drums.. The fantom can sample and map **** to the pads right?

qbsfinest said:
yeah i was playing on the fantom pads a couple weeks ago, i just didn't like the sounds of the drums.. The fantom can sample and map **** to the pads right?

Yes it can. When I first played the Fantom, I hated it based on the Drum Sounds. When I eventually purchased it, I created 25 Drum Kits from all of my drum sounds from My MPC 4000. The kits and drum sounds load up automatically whenever I turn it on. I only use the Fantoms Effects and Hi Hats and I use all custom and sampled drums.

qbsfinest said:

I agree, the drums sounded TOOOOO processed but I won't be using those drums much unless I edit the HELL out of em.

I sample drums so that's not even a problem.

It's gonna be about two weeks until I have it in my posession and the wait is KILLING ME lol

Last edited:
tjudge said:

Yes it can. When I first played the Fantom, I hated it based on the Drum Sounds. When I eventually purchased it, I created 25 Drum Kits from all of my drum sounds from My MPC 4000. The kits and drum sounds load up automatically whenever I turn it on. I only use the Fantoms Effects and Hi Hats and I use all custom and sampled drums.

So, now, each kit is 16 pieces right??
IF you could bank them, say 8 banks, then you can have your favorite 8 kits together in one instrument.
You like one or two snare sounds to go with your track, but that one from your second favorite kit would sit sweet, in the second chorus. hit a bank button, then just play it in. the way it is now, you have to give up another midi track to a drum kit, and it won't be assigned to the pads. You can assign the pads, but then your first kit can only be accessed through the keyboard.

thunderkyss said:

So, now, each kit is 16 pieces right??
IF you could bank them, say 8 banks, then you can have your favorite 8 kits together in one instrument.
You like one or two snare sounds to go with your track, but that one from your second favorite kit would sit sweet, in the second chorus. hit a bank button, then just play it in. the way it is now, you have to give up another midi track to a drum kit, and it won't be assigned to the pads. You can assign the pads, but then your first kit can only be accessed through the keyboard.

I don't even use my pads for drums. One Kit for me is 61 Drum Sounds split accross the Keyboard. I've created many many kits this way and if there are any sounds or groups of sounds that I want to send to the Pads, you can easily assign them to the Pads.

tjudge said:

I don't even use my pads for drums. One Kit for me is 61 Drum Sounds split accross the Keyboard. I've created many many kits this way and if there are any sounds or groups of sounds that I want to send to the Pads, you can easily assign them to the Pads.

yeah, 16 pads really ain't enough for a whole drum kit..

that's why i like em spread across the keys..

i mean, i could DEAL with 16 but i'd rather have a bunch of percussion, kicks, snares etc. on 61 keys

I've made my own kits too, I just wish I could use a bank button, to hit other sounds.

Check out this link.

Watch for the Bank button

I do however like that you can assign particular sounds to the pads, where the pads aren't just a mirror image of the keyboard, that's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back