help choosing between a mpc 4000 or a mpc 5000,please

dmajor100

Am down to choosing a mpc 4000 and 5000 just because the older ones and kinda outdated and if they break there is hardly support for them and no usb to transfer files. So my main purpose for getting a mpc is because when im on my motif its a completely different experience for me and is much faster and in the moment were i get in that tunnel vision mode and quickly throw down ideas. I have maschine and its great but even in the new 1.6 its still not the same, yes i have more sounds cause of low cost vsts but loading is slower due to my 2g macbook and i dont want to buy a new mac until i really need one. The 5000 ive atually demoed at guitar center and it does seem kinda poorly made but the screen is very nice,the pads are kinda stiff with no bounce back but as long as i can get nice work flow and create drum sequences ill be fine. Now the 4000 i have never seen in life and have no idea why its discontinued if its such a beast from what i hear. The build does look better but the reso on the screen kinda sucks and to me it does more complex i guess because people say's its sampler can do much more. I really dont know how much more advanced its sampler is and would like to know the differences especially when i plan to do sampling which i first decided not to but if i got a sampler that can do big things why not. there is a guy in my town who is offering to sell me his 4000 for 900 bucks so this to me seems like a good deal but then again that devil 5000 is on my other shoulder saying "pick me im much nicer and sexy". mmmmmmmm experienced mpc users please a little help.

p.s. I can also get the mpc 5000 for like 1100 bucks but idk.

Last edited:
guess you have to ask yourself what would you benifit from a mpc that you dont already have in maschine 1.6( which i also own and must say is quite impressive)

I wouldnt mess with a 5000 if i were you.....do a google search youll find they have all sorts of problems. Ive never used a 4000 so i really cant speak on that exact unit. I own a 2000xl (i also owned a 1000 but ive recently sold it)

be on the lookout for a 2500.....if you upgrade to the JJ OS skys the limit.

Imo, your not missing out on much. stick to maschine 1.6, its the future of samplers and groove boxes... maybe when NI drops its next update youll be happy you did.

If ur CPU isnt up to par to run maschine then take the money u were gonna spend on a mpc and look into investing in a new computer.

Last edited:
guess you have to ask yourself what would you benifit from a mpc that you dont already have in maschine 1.6( which i also own and must say is quite impressive)

I wouldnt mess with a 5000 if i were you.....do a google search youll find they have all sorts of problems. Ive never used a 4000 so i really cant speak on that exact unit. I own a 2000xl (i also owned a 1000 but ive recently sold it)

be on the lookout for a 2500.....if you upgrade to the JJ OS skys the limit.

Imo, your not missing out on much. stick to maschine 1.6, its the future of samplers and groove boxes... maybe when NI drops its next update youll be happy you did.

If ur CPU isnt up to par to run maschine then take the money u were gonna spend on a mpc and look into investing in a new computer.

Yeah, you would be much better off selling your Mac and upgrading and keeping Maschine then buying a MPC. I used to own a MPC but the Maschine is just so much better. Best groovebox to come out since the MPC60 IMO.

I thow this about machine and do enjoy it cause its catagorized anf fast with good sounds but looking to do strait hardware cause I value it more than software recording. Even tho I ownrd a mpc 2500 in the past I never used it the way I should of with a keyboard and sampling. I forgot the workflow on the mpc but people often say the mpc is still faster workflow but the saving and loading on a mpc and motif Is kinda sucky to hear ur beats.

people often say the mpc is still faster workflow
Faster than what? Not compared to Maschine if that's what you were trying to say. Maschine has a much faster workflow than any MPC. The problem with MPCs is that you have to stop the sequencer every time to change parameter settings which is a serious workflow killer.

Faster than what? Not compared to Maschine if that's what you were trying to say. Maschine has a much faster workflow than any MPC. The problem with MPCs is that you have to stop the sequencer every time to change parameter settings which is a serious workflow killer.

well the main reason im wanting one is to drum program and im not likeing how machine or battery do theres were you gotta click on samples and if it does not sound good with another layered sample you gotta delete it and search again. With the mpc you can choose one sound and browse threw others and hit the pad and hear them all together and decided if thats the sound you want. Thats one big reason and secondly is just to have one and work it with my motif and groove outside of the software and to me making tracks on a motif is faster than maschine. But sampled beats i would say yes maschine is what im using but then again i kinda thinking the 4000 or 5000 might be overkill for me for the reasons i want one.mmmmmm not sure i also saw a 2500 for 600$ but not sure about that either

Last edited:
well the main reason im wanting one is to drum program and im not likeing how machine or battery do theres were you gotta click on samples and if it does not sound good with another layered sample you gotta delete it and search again. With the mpc you can choose one sound and browse threw others and hit the pad and hear them all together and decided if thats the sound you want. Thats one big reason and secondly is just to have one and work it with my motif and groove outside of the software and to me making tracks on a motif is faster than maschine. But sampled beats i would say yes maschine is what im using but then again i kinda thinking the 4000 or 5000 might be overkill for me for the reasons i want one.mmmmmm not sure i also saw a 2500 for 600$ but not sure about that either

Maschine is a great option for hardware like feel if you don't have any hardware, however since you have a Motif already and want the hardware workflow I would highly recommend the MPC 2500. Get that and get the JJOS. The 2500 is definitely my favorite MPC. A 2500 for $600 is a great price I would jump on it. Sell the Maschine and you'll be almost there to get it. IMO 4k and 5k is overkill they have some cool extra features but you don't really need them IMO. I would go for the 2500, when I had my 1000 I always wished I would have went for the 2500.

im not likeing how machine or battery do theres were you gotta click on samples and if it does not sound good with another layered sample you gotta delete it and search again. With the mpc you can choose one sound and browse threw others and hit the pad and hear them all together and decided if thats the sound you want.
Sounds more like you're not fully aware of how to use it. You can definitely do the same thing in Maschine where you browse through samples while layering. There no need for any "deleting" of anything or "searching" as you claimed. I'd suggest spend more time learning one equipment fully (reading the manual helps) before assuming it does not do something and moving on to the next equipment.

Sounds more like you're not fully aware of how to use it. You can definitely do the same thing in Maschine where you browse through samples while layering. There no need for any "deleting" of anything or "searching" as you claimed. I'd suggest spend more time learning one equipment fully (reading the manual helps) before assuming it does not do something and moving on to the next equipment.

okay so can you point me in the right direction on how to do this?

Oh yeah forgot about this feature but can u pitch each idividual sound or ptch them all at once? I know how cool maschine is and with one or two more updates this might be the worlds most advanced software sampler but sure thr hardware will catch up in some way from learning from this. I got options now mpc 2500+cd drive+128mb ram for 650$,mpc 4000 for 950$,mpc 5000 for 1100$ or just wait for the linndrum 2.Some good deals but not sure which will do it for me since ive only fittled with the 5000 and 2500.

Oh yeah forgot about this feature but can u pitch each idividual sound or ptch them all at once?
Yes you can pitch each individual sound or pitch a whole group at once. You should really just check out the Maschine manual before asking such basic questions.

Last edited:
okay right now i am messing with the link feature and its pretty good but the bad thing is that if i wanted to layer four drum kicks its gonna take up four pads and i usually do my kick and snares together and like to have a alot in just one group. So for me to be layering just 4 sounds that would take up a whole group is lame were in the mpc you can layer alot and just use one pad. I also did not see what you were talking about pitching individual sounds cause all i see is in group mode were you can tune but all your sounds get pitched.

okay right now i am messing with the link feature and its pretty good but the bad thing is that if i wanted to layer four drum kicks its gonna take up four pads and i usually do my kick and snares together and like to have a alot in just one group. So for me to be layering just 4 sounds that would take up a whole group is lame were in the mpc you can layer alot and just use one pad.
No. Maschine can also layer on one pad just like MPC. But both MPC and Maschine lacks the ability to edit paramters of individual layers aside from volume/tune/pan when you layer this way. In Maschine, when you are in browse mode, and you are browsing samples there is a button labeled "Add". When you toggle this and press next or previous you will add samples to the same pad.

Maschine's Pad Link is like MPC's Simult Pad mode in that they allow each pad to trigger other pads and still have the ability to edit individual sounds that make up the layer. Maschine's Pad Link is much faster to use compared to MPC's Simult Pad because of the way it's implemented, especially with the way you can quickly set each pad to be assigned to any of the Pad Groups and whether it will be master or slave.

I also did not see what you were talking about pitching individual sounds cause all i see is in group mode were you can tune but all your sounds get pitched.
Another case of RTFM. Just because you do not see it doesn't mean it's not there. You can definitely pitch individual sounds. It's one of the most basic features of Maschine's sampler.

No. Maschine can also layer on one pad just like MPC. But both MPC and Maschine lacks the ability to edit paramters of individual layers aside from volume/tune/pan when you layer this way. In Maschine, when you are in browse mode, and you are browsing samples there is a button labeled "Add". When you toggle this and press next or previous you will add samples to the same pad.

okay i yes this is helpful indeed but u cant keep the samples you are adding in view and cant pan each sound in that one pad, in link yes but I havent found it when using the add.Cant the jjos do is in a very easy way and im still thinking real hard if I should get the 4000,5000,2500 mmmmmmm. Okay maybe maschine is advanced but a mpc will get no viruses and im already having glitchy issues with 1.6 so I guess maschine is not perfect either and in reality will have more of a chance having these issues.

Last edited:
Okay maybe maschine is advanced but a mpc will get no viruses and im already having glitchy issues with 1.6 so I guess maschine is not perfect either and in reality will have more of a chance having these issues.
Sounds like you have a PC but I've never had Maschine crash on my macbook and I never have to worry about viruses either. MPC4000/5000, on the other hand, are quite notorious for constant crashing and bugginess.

Yeah bro it sounds like you just really want to use an MPC instead of Maschine. A lot of the things your are talking about with Maschine are not show stopper issues. I think once you really just start doing work with Maschine and complete several beats you will understand how irrelevant the MPC is at this point. Its much slower to do simple things in the MPC such as edit sounds, load samples, browse samples, record/track out beats, change the swing , quantize, copy and paste, add new bars etc etc. All of the things I mention require the MPC sequencer to be stopped, and then require you to go into a new menu just to edit these settings. This is time that you could be working and hearing immediately results with Maschine. I have an MPC 2500 still and I would love to one day do a comparison in workflow on video so people could see. Its very difficult for me to go back to the MPC after completing so much work on Maschine. I say learn Maschine and work with the features it has. If you use an MPC I would hope that you wouldnt complain that the MPC cant track out beats and integrate with your Computer as easily as Maschine, because those are some of the realistic trade offs in going that direction.

Isnt the 5000 just as advanced as maschine or just a bit.under

I think you have to look at both of those products as production environments and not just samplers. Alone as samplers, neither one of them is the most advanced, and there are far more Robust samplers like Kontakt 4 . What Im referring to is overall workflow between those units. Maschine has bit more seamless workflow and integration that something like an MPC.

Back