Ensoniq ASR-10 vs. ASR-X

I bought the asr-10 when if first came out, and loved it. Awsome warm sound to it. When the asr-x pro came out I traded it in. One of the reason's I like the asr-x pro so much is the pad layout. It is my main piece. It has the same warm sound to it. Over the past 9 years I have learned that machine inside out. For studio use the sequencer is fine if you know how to quantize. For live giging it hicups to much as someone stated earlier. I really don't know what the specs are between the two but as far as beat making I would rather make a beat on the x 9 times out of 10. When emu bought out ensoniq and came out with their weak ass wanna be version of the x, by the name of mp7, and the other 3 version's of the same damn board I wanted revenge! Somebody needs to make a new version of the asr-x pro like they did with the moog.

cool. i seriously think ppl have said the X doesnt have the ASR10 engine to deliberately keep the price down lol. cats are wising up to this box no doubt. anyone here sequence their X from an mpc? hows the tightness? anyone here got a card reader in their X? hows that working for you?

I used to sequence my ASR-X Pro, when I owned one, from my MPC. Hook up is pretty straight forward and easy. If you do it, be sure to arrange the mpc pads from midi not 35 up to 99 in order, so it matches up with the ASR-X Pro. I miss it so much, I am going to have to buy it again, I should have never sold it. Anyways, I have been doing some research on SCSI external card readers for it (hate zip to death!), so far I came up with a company named Microtech that makes them. I will try and find a model number of the card reader.

Unsystematic said:
I used to sequence my ASR-X Pro, when I owned one, from my MPC. Hook up is pretty straight forward and easy. If you do it, be sure to arrange the mpc pads from midi not 35 up to 99 in order, so it matches up with the ASR-X Pro. I miss it so much, I am going to have to buy it again, I should have never sold it. Anyways, I have been doing some research on SCSI external card readers for it (hate zip to death!), so far I came up with a company named Microtech that makes them. I will try and find a model number of the card reader.

www.scsiforsamplers.com ( i think thats right) do a card reader that would be compatible for about $80, seqing the X from an MPC is very simple to set up and super tight, much tighter than using a PC to seq the X

Thanks for the info twinings, that helped out a lot. I asked somone at chickensys.com about internal multi card drive kits (they scsi ones) and they told me it couldn't be done. Has anyone gone with an external scsi multicard reader yet?

Last edited:
Join the ASRX yahoo group (or just search the posts) someone there was gonna do an internal card reader test but dunno if anything came of it, to be honest even the inetrnal Zip kit is dicey i think, that floppy drive comes in handy for me still for saving FX parameters and a default temaplate session (eg with all channels set to blank for sampling, MIDI setup, etc etc) I wouldnt wanna lose it when an external card reader works just as well

Is the Beat Kangz Beat thing based off the ASRX pro. Like, did these guys get the specs off the ASRX series and make this new product? Just seems really simular with the exception of the new sample technology. Just a questions for the gear heads out there

the Beat Thang just LOOKS like the ASRX bcuz of its size and keyboard style drumpads... the specs of course blows it away.

da relic

yes but that info is easily available. what everyone wants to know is the difference between the ASR10 and the ASR-X (or PRO). so far one person has said in this thread that the sound is identical. many others have claimed that the engine in the X is NOT the same, so it would be good to hear some more opinion, especially from those that OWN and USE BOTH

the difference in sound is the asr10 uses a otto2 chip which has dual non resonant filters that can have a various topologies this chip supports transwave modulation and can be editted via on board controls

it uses the esp2 effects chip which is basically a dp4 effects processr but with less algorithms than the dp4 but the effects chip can be programed to take more effects via dsp programs waveboy and prosonus

the asrx/pro uses the synth chip otto4 which is the same chip in the fizmo

it has more polyphony and has digital resonant filters so can produce sounds and filter effects the asr10 can not unless the waveboy filter dsp effects disk is loaded into the efx chip

also the asrx cant do transwave modulation from the front controls it has it but requires a soft ware program to switch it on the only software is asrx disk tools

the ability to use wave files makes it quicker to get sounds into the asrx than the asr 10

the asrx/pro also uses the same esp2 fx chip but has more of the dp4 algorithms it has 40

if you were not to use resonance on sound then the 2 can sound the same it changes when adding the resonance which makes it sound warmer

pads

heres A Q, how do ou go about making your pads play the sample all the way through on 1 touch? ie without having to hold it down for the leigh of the sample?

heres A Q, how do ou go about making your pads play the sample all the way through on 1 touch? ie without having to hold it down for the leigh of the sample?

choose percussion envelope preset and it will play the whole sample as it was a drum sample

So is it worth the money to own both an asr10 and an asrx?

Back