Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Stand-alone Drum machine + Sampler + Sequencer + Synth

303TB is offline Registered User

Best Stand-alone Drum machine + Sampler + Sequencer + Synth

Sign in to disable this ad
    Beer with me, I mean bear with me as I am just in the question stage. I am looking to do live performances with a bassist (me), a guitar player, and the best live-sounding, sample, sequence, and synth, stand-alone drum machine.

I would imagine it would be best to have a stand-alone piece of equipment first. I'd like to have the option to use my own kick-drum, snare, HH, etc. sounds if need to.

I didn't know there are different levels of "good" sequencers. I don't even understand how a "bad" one would compare: or what makes a good one.

When looking at Drum machines today, the salesman told me the MPC had the best "Live" feel/sound to the drum sequencer. I debated between the MPC 500 and the Maschine. Now after reading through some of these posts on this forum, it looks like the things I mention above are the things that would best suit my needs.

I not sure if any of you are familiar with a band called GodFlesh but I think they make alot of use of a drum machine in their songs.

Example:
    YouTube - Godflesh, Veins (best version is from TheSacrificialCake)
    In a live performance this song has been done on a drum machine and with a drummer but the majority of their songs are done by a machine. This is one of the directions I am going.

D major is offline Registered User
    maschine is just as good as a mpc for live sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by D major View Post
    maschine is just as good as a mpc for live sessions.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm new to all of this. Could you please explain what would be a better route and why? I'd greatly appreciate it; or if you have any opinion on something else that is better....

Cheers

LogicalReasons45 is offline Registered User
    If you want a standalone drum-machine, sampler, synth, and sequencer, all in one package, the only route is the roland mv series. The mv could also record 8 tracks of audio, as well as sequence midi tracks.

Check this guy out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmJmoy53zI

Oh wait, forgot about the mpc 5000. Check that out also.
    Last edited by LogicalReasons45; 01-16-2011 at 05:07 AM.
    Its about the ears, not the gears..

Btw, I am interested in doing more of an onstage/live industrial metal band than doing DJ stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 303TB View Post
    Btw, I am interested in doing more of an onstage/live industrial metal band than doing DJ stuff.
    You could use the mpc, mv, or maschine to do w/e you want.

So the Maschine has to use a computer to play. AFAIK that is not a stand alone, that requires a PC or MAC to work. That leaves the Maschine on hold. What Stand-Alone drum machine does not use anything but itself to send a signal to an amp and play?

MV-8000/8800
    MPC 5000
    Yamaha RS-7000

Those are the only three that do what you want in a standalone drum machine.

I'd personally recommend getting the RS-7000 if your strictly using it live.

How does the RS-7000 compare to the Korg EMX or ESX 1 SD ???

I'd prefer the RS over the EMX or ESX. You have more capability with the RS as far as production goes. The EMX is perfect for live tweaking on the other hand, and also serves as decent synth and sampler. Other then that, it's not really on par with an RS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information