Asr-10 Vs Mpc

ASR or MPC?

• Total voters
i owned both before let me say this...

ASR-10 Can minipulate ur samples like crazy the fx are the great (dnt know if they are as good or better then the roland cosm efx)

the seq is easy-note edit is easy.i was sequencing my korg triton rack with it before....if its gonna be ur only peice i recomend the asr-10 because it has keys.and the ability of loading instrument patches ...

but the mpc2000xl is a work horse,choping samples is easy.freaking sounds and samples on the mpc is better...but the fx suck....

if it was up to me i would choose the mpc2000xl its just newer...easy and is a great foundation to learn because later u can add instruments and get ur midi on....

damn i just learned a lot about the asr the whole time i thought it was like another fantom or triton or motif but it comes bode dry no sounds at all??? das crazy but sounds ill tho

ASR man why did they stop making them....Anyone know a good replacement ASR type sampling keyboard

You cant go wrong with either machine. I sold my ASR-10 because I thought I was upgrading when I got the ASR-X Pro(talk about a sequencer that sucks) I also have the MPC2000xl that I rarely use but have made some major beats on. I must say the ASR-10 is a BEAST with tweaking and chopping samples the MPC does a hell of a job in the sample department too and the way it puts the music together for you is pretty dope.

I'm an ASR 10 chick, and I've tried both. Being a keyboardist (trained), pads aren't for me. Honestly, I don't knock it, but I don't get it. I have pads on my Fantom which I never use. The sound engine in the ASR 10 is to die for. Talk about beefing things up! ASR 10 all the way!:victory:

werd...its funny to me that some people say that cant hear the difference between an ensoniq and Akai sampler... some cats gotta invest in golden ears... ;)

^^^^^^

If you can't hear the different between the 2 then you do really need some help the any ensoniq product sounds way warmer anything from akai. I had audio samples up of the ASR and MPC I don't know what happend to them. I am a MPC person thought, but I might bring out the ASR rack and let people decide on there own ASR VS MPC and up wav files so no sound loss takes place.

Dj Frantic said:
I bought my EPS(older version of the ASR) for $150 !
I miss my EPS did u buy the classic or the 16

herneythegreat said:
word....is it good?????
I had the original EPS fully expanded and loved it except for chopping but I am wanting another one. Perhaps the 16 or even an asr if i can find one

Last edited:
I got a classic. I actually think its dope for chopping since you can copy the same sample multiple times within the same instrument without using up any memory. However...now that I got an SP-404 to go along with it ive been chopping up on that and then sampling or sequencing it from the EPS when I use it. But ya.. its a great workstation. Mine has the bad the bad aftertouch solder problem though. About to get it fixed up.

I think had i got it now Id probabaly love it but I didnt like chopping without the graphic screen before but it does have a lot of dope features. Im curious what are the major differences between the Eps, ASR10, ASRX, ASRXPRO and EPS 16 outside of fx and sample time. And do any of them have time stretch? Im really curious and can't find much info on them via google.

I dont know a whole lot about the X. But I know the only real difference with the 16 plus is its 16 bit and has FX plus, it takes a different output expander. Oh, and it seems to be built better. The asr adds a fwe other things. Like a couple of recording tracks to add vocals or live instruments or w/e to your beat. It also has more sampling time but less sample options as far as frequencies go. I think the 16 plus and ASR have time stretch as an effect. But I could be wrong.

I found a manual for the asr10 online this morning it does have time stretch and fx onboard i miss my eps after reading all of this tho I could seriously get the job with it and some plug ins i need to find a classic fully expanded for $200

The ASR 10 was the bomb. It was my first sampler. The sound quality and filters were all that. The effects, in my opinion, are better than many of today's onboard effects in sampling keyboards. Ensoniq was always known for excellent effects (anyone remember the DP4?).

My biggest complaint about the ASR was the sequencer. It hiccuped like crazy. Even with only a few tracks playing. It was never rock solid. If you were playing keyboard parts, it was fine, but it sucked with drums. That's why I bought the MPC 3000. A friend of mine had one, and as soon as I heard how tight it was, I bought one.

The MPC 3000 and the ASR 10 were the perfect combination. I used the MPC's sequencer and filters for my drums, and all other samples and keyboard parts came from the ASR. When that was all I had, I couldn't see choosing one over the other.

Back