Thread: Anybody Make a Good Pocket Sized Sequencer?

inkexit is offline Universal Soldier

Anybody Make a Good Pocket Sized Sequencer?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've googled around and found a few things. Most are not what they are cracked up to be. The Roland 404 is almost exactly what I want, it's smaller, but pocket sized it is not. I also found a Bunch of USB controllers, and software for smartphones/iPhone. There's also a couple of things for the Nintendo Gameboy, but I'm really looking for something dedicated--sequencing and nothing but. Thought I'd post the question up here.

Anybody know of a good quality, truly pocket sized sequencer? Something about the size of a Blackberry, and rechargeable (no need to keep replacing AAA batteries). In my dreams it would run Ableton and have a USB out for downloading finished tracks to my main computer, but I'm pretty sure this is asking too much. Just looking for something I can whip out of my pocket and jam on during the slow times wherever whenever...

dpmtl is offline Registered User
    So the i phone stuff not cutting it? I've thought about getting an ipod touch for the same sort of thing but i don't know what's availiable for it and how good it actually is. What about a pda running bhajis loops?

DJMateo904 is offline Hire Me LSI!
    Pastor Troy said he bought a beat machine as big as a calculator....

The iPhone/iTouch stuff looks pretty decent actually. I just dont want an iTouch. Maybe I'm just a brand whore, but I want something that says Roland or Akai on it. Something that's more serious. Not just a toy for the trendies.

The manufacturers need to jump on this. There's absolutly no reason why this cant be done, and easily, with the state of today's technology. A half GB of RAM, a touchscreen, a discreet mini plug in and a quality mini plug out, a USB port, a rechargeable battery, and some good software. It would sound as good as pretty much anything. Can you imagine tapping out some beats while waiting in line at the grochery store, or while you're on your lunch break at work? Not just some BS sounding 4 bit type ish, but something you could go home, plug into your computer, record some vox over, and be just as proud of as you would be if you made it on your main rig? Well, it is absolutly 100% possible. If you build it, we will come...
    Last edited by inkexit; 05-09-2009 at 12:34 PM.

mark1234 is offline Registered User
    Dont expect to make a full blown Beat on the iPhone.
    I thought the same thing when buyin the iPod Touch.
    The BeatMaker software aint that advanced yet.
    -

hollandturbine is offline Registered User
    griff pocket music studio is not too bad, runs on a pocket PC.

I have a Yamaha QY 20 (it is about the size of a video tape, not exactly pocket size) it is kind of old and only GM but it is a real hardware MIDI sequencer with a small keypad on it to play in note data.

Sabotage is offline Registered User
    I've tried GRIFF, and altough it is promising it is a tad cumbersome to use. It's a shame they stopped developing it when they did. Someone should really pick it up again and bring it up to date.

Another good one is the Milky Tracker, which seems to be actually very feature rich and runs snappy enough on my X1.

milkytracker.net

Also check out this (a bit out of date) list of apps for pocket PC's

h**p://the-palm-sound.blogspot.com/2007/05/mobile-music-application-directory.html

dpmtl is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1234 View Post
    Dont expect to make a full blown Beat on the iPhone.
    I thought the same thing when buyin the iPod Touch.
    The BeatMaker software aint that advanced yet.
    Came very close to buying an ipod touch for the audio apps. Looks like it has potential though. Think i'll give it more time.

40Beatz is offline Registered User
    I have a Yamaha QY70. It was my 1st piece of equipment. Check Ebay for that!
    www.myspace.com/buffalosfinestproducers
    www.myspace.com/40productions
    40Beatz Inc.

I think like a MPC & ASR. A program is a tool. If the sculpture don't look right you don't blame the chisel...

MPC2500, Yamaha Motif, Reason 4.0, Believe it or not....FL Studio 8(still there for bangin out quick thoughts)

Good look 40Beatz.

Found this too:
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/tag/handheld/
    Last edited by inkexit; 05-12-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Thread Information