Any MPC Alternatives?

I agree with mattman. Absolute classics have been made on extremely limited machines, and theres always more that can be done with them. That said, I'd say any sampler with an ok sequencer and you'll be just fine. Or if youre going to sequence on your computer, just about anything would be ok. Jaydee made amazing stuff on an sp-303, for gods sake.

Wingless04 said:
thanks so much for the input so far! i guess i should tell you a little about what i'll be using it for. im into the old grimey sounding hip hop. and that what i am trying to create. audio coloration would be great but i dont think it is absolutely neccessary.

i've been working with FL Studio for a while now and i have figured out how to sample on there. but what i want is to be able to chop up a sample and be able to rearrange it quickly and easily. for now sequencing, editing, mixing, etc. will probably be done using the software.

But also understand that right now all i know is software based production, but would definitely be open to hardware based production if i could get fluent with it. in fact i think i would enjoy it alot more.

Well in your case an mpc will be of no help.
Sampling into it's inputs reproduces the original source with good acuracy.

An old Zoom Sampletrak on the other hand, that can be had for about $100 will help you get the sound your after.
It's very gritty when you sample at 16khz, and detune a couple semitones.
Here's a beat made with it using the sampletrak to give you an idea of how gritty it sounds.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=753828&songID=7113094

Plugins will work too.
Many of the better lo-fi vst effects are freeware by the way.

Mattman04 said:
Lol, prove software samplers have coloration then. Comedy:D .

Importing or previewing a sample is one thing, using it building a beat from it is another. Don't tell me software samplers all act the very same whenever you use the same FX, EQs and what not, that's just silly.

Last edited:
Bananasass said:
Importing or previewing a sample is one thing, using it building a beat from it is another. Don't tell me software samplers all act the very same whenever you use the same FX, EQs and what not, that's just silly.

If it's so silly, explain your stance with some evidence.

If they sound the same, and are bit for bit the same during import, then why would they sound different when making a beat???:confused:

Last edited:
Thought so, nothing to show for huh?

Now I see the point if your talking about fx, interpolation, and timestretch, but I'm not talking about that.
I'm talking about imported files. Sounds don't become colored by importing them.
Maybe we agree, but just misunderstand each others interpretation?

Last edited:
Back