For All You Miko & Neko Disbelievers!

deranged: just stop already! You're being a hater not having anything to backup what you say, you know. I know you want to possess one of those lovely fleshy almighty machines yourself. You're talking it down like it wasn't any good because you just can't afford one!!!one
It's not a glorified Windows PC in a keyboard case. It's A LOT more! it has transport buttons on top of it. you don't seem to get it.
umm... yeah... sort of... dumb. I know

Last edited:
krushing said:
I think what nags me the most about the thing is that for the price you'd expect to get 1) something a bit better than a $300 very average interface, 2) a premium, exclusive soundset that isn't made 80% of freeware and 3) a custom-tailored operating system, not friggin' XP.

BINGO.

They neglected all the important things. And crammed in all the things *BEETMAKRZ* would consider valuable.

Last I checked when talkin to ol' heads about recording and etc...It stems down to audio interface, converters and highly detailed coresounds.. Not out of tune Mimik'd synths.

Would be nice to have a custom OS too.. or Mac OS X :D

Bottom line it's preference still. What do you need it for? Etc.. I like strong core sounds, germanium preamps and apogee converters... sooo My perspective would be swayed towards that naturally. Etc.... ESPECIALLY concerning the price.

If they at least had some Linux gurus developing exclusive software for it....

Sqito said:
If they at least had some Linux gurus developing exclusive software for it....

I heard you can get near zero or zero latency in Linux..

Sqito said:
deranged: just stop already! You're being a hater not having anything to backup what you say, you know. I know you want to possess one of those lovely fleshy almighty machines yourself. You're talking it down like it wasn't any good because you just can't afford one!!!one
It's not a glorified Windows PC in a keyboard case. It's A LOT more! it has transport buttons on top of it. you don't seem to get it.
You got me.....I'm jealous of the words Miko and Neko because I don't have one.

I pay japanese prostitutes to call themselves Meko and Neko and let me choke them.

Everytime I hear a Timbaland beat and like it, I say a prayer that it wasn't done on that machine.

But soon as I save up and get one, I'll have all of Timbaland's sounds and be able to make beats just like his!!!

I heard you can get near zero or zero latency in Linux..
Linux has a really nice audio driver model which really is capable of low-level in kernel stage audio streaming (just like Vista does btw, but not XP)
But that's actually all information I know about it by now. would need to do some research myself. Wish there were any really interesting audio applications available for Linux by now.

Last edited:
Sqito said:
Linux has a really nice audio driver model which really is capable of low-level in kernel stage audio streaming (just like Vista does btw, but not XP)
But that's actually all information I know about it by now. would need to do research myself if there were any really interesting audio applications available for it by now.

Ahh K. Thx

Yeah, Linux is crazy. Alot of old engineers I meet who aren't as "computer savvy" prefer Linux for their mostly hardware setups. Vista's gonna be a crazy music OS in a few more years. Just wish they had it perfected on release.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
But soon as I save up and get one, I'll have all of Timbaland's sounds and be able to make beats just like his!!!
[evil laugh] HAHAHA! You wish! :cool:
You won't be as motivated as him without an at least 5 figure check stuck under your promotion Neko you got as a gift from Open Labs.

Last edited:
Why would you want to spend that much money on something that would be cool but sounds are going to be obselete in a year or two. It had all those cool synths and strings but in two years those are gunna be trash. Even though I have 4 G'z sittin on my benz I would cop it but I still spend my money wisely.

Tha Wonder Chyld said:
Aite look i hear folks talkin bout tha price but wat tha hell?!?Yall do realize that tha Timbo is only $3800 rite?!?And yes i kno i jus said "only" $3800 but sumbody tell me where you can spend only $3800 dollars and still get the sounds of the.......................
  • E-MU™ Proteus™ 2000
  • E-MU™ Mo’Phatt™
  • E-MU™ Modular System™
  • Ensoniq™ EPS™ /EPS 16+™
  • Ensoniq ASR 10™
  • Ensoniq ASR-X™
  • Ensoniq ZR76
  • Ensoniq MR61
  • ARP™ 2600™
  • ARP™ Axxe™
  • Roland™ JD800™
  • Roland™ Jupiter 8™
  • Roland™ JX-8P™
  • Roland™ TB-303 Bass Line™
  • Roland™ Juno 60™
  • Moog™ Memorymoog™
  • Mini™ Moog™
  • Moog™ Taurus Pedals™
  • Sequential Circuits™ Prophet 10™
  • Sequential Circuits™ Prophet 600™
  • Elka™ Rhapsody™
  • Mellotron™ Mark II™
  • Korg™ MS20™
  • Solina™
  • Oberheim™ OB™ & X™
  • Hammond™ B3™
  • Rhodes™ Electric Piano™
  • Hohner™ Clavinet™
  • Yamaha™ CP-70
  • Wurlitzer™ Electric Piano™
ALL IN ONE!!!!Plus Mimik which can put some of your other fav sounds out of the Fantom,Motif,Triton or whatever u lik in there as well.THERE'S IS NOTHING ELSE FUKKING WITH THIS AND YES I'VE USED ONE.Saving to get my Timbo edition as i type this now and i can't wait.I understand that some people are perfectly fine without it,just dont want 1,or have doubts about tha Mimik system but look................there's no question that everyone on this forum should at least try this machine out.It's incredible and has super-producers in the industry goin crazy.Just had to shine a little light on it and voice my opinion yall
What I think the nay sayers are trying to communicate is the following:
Check out the address below
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Proteus/English/overview.asp

Alot if not all of the software that is currently exclusive to the Openlabs products will be readily available to the public. EMU has released a few within the last six months. The truth is that if there is a massive demand for the emulations sold with the Openlabs product the OEMs will make them available to the public at a fraction of the cost of the Meko or Neko. Open Labs is not a big enough player in the open market to keep these exclusive. As far as the major producers that use these boards, most of the are recieving compensation to do so. Look I think that Open labs has a great concept, I just question the quality of the materials use as well as the daw platform and cost. The truth is it is unavoidable that another major oem will mimik (lol) Openlabs idea and offer a low cost solution to the consumer and alot of the people who jumped on the $4000 Openlabs band wagon will be left holding the bag. This has happened with almost every advancement in technology or repackaging of current technology in this case. Do your research and make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Sqito said:
thx for your concern and good luck with your new PC.. I mean: Neko

lol.Thanxx.It actually helps me out a lot tho cuz i waz thinking about getin a new pc ne way,cuz everybody in mah house uses dis 1 so i cant really work whenever i want.Plus i enjoy my own personal space ne way while im workin so dis machine actually goes over and above my needs for my first keyboard workstation.Instead of just one Motif or Fantom or whatever that i would have "orginally" prolly decided on gettin

it comes down to: what value do I get?
what is important to me?

if you got the money and you are into gimmicks (the touch screen is absolutely unuseful with VSTis), buy it.

most of the software is free or has even better free alternatives.

XP Second Edition, stripped down with all the trash thrown out, is a way better opeating system than Mac OS X ever will be.

as far as Linux is concerened: it has it advantages.
it is just that it's absolutely "uncommercial". you won't see Waves selling plugs for it.

anyway, this is a custom build DAW that will make the Neko and Miko run for mama.

http://www.shop-sonica.com/pd_hush2r.cfm

the Quad Core alone is argument enough. check the EZ Swap drives (you can take out the Audio System HD and stick in the Internet/Graphics whatever system HD and your DAW doesn't ever "touch" the internet) LightScribe for DVDs-you can "print" your own stuff on the DVD's surface. 1.3 TB of room, 4GB of super fast RAM. XP downstripped, etc...

for the rest of the money, you can buy a really good RME interface (many who know about audio, know that RME builds the fastest and best audio cards/interfaces) and a good controller AND two screens.

software? you can get Reaper (which kills anything out there speedwise) and use your own favourites.

this is a really nice CUSTOM DAW - you could get one like this for probably 500 or even less if you build it yourself.

and like I said, it literally KILLS the Miko and Neko performance wise.

this is not a battle DAW vs. Miko/Neko. this is a battle Common Sense vs. Marketing Department.

Last edited by a moderator:
very intresting argument. I do agree the miko is basically pc with controller and monitor etc built into it. For me that is cool because i have it all in one unit, for people that make the argument that for the same money you can have hardware alternatives to the software versions, yes that might be the case but then you got all the issues of connecting all that equiptment together, patchbays midi connections and not sure how it goes with power cunsumption out there but here in the UK that ammounts to a lot of electricicity useage. I have seen some home stuidios that they must have massive bills coming through the door. The other thing is and i guess this kind of goes to the hardware software argument, for someone who is mobile like myself, carrying one unit is a lot simpler than carrying my 5 favourite keyboards around on my travels. In regards to the mimik software, i agree that its not very practical the storage requirment for the patches are too great. Sampling an entire keyboard is not really a good idea. Maybe for the odd patch here and there but then the whole purpose of it being an open system is that you could find better sounds ini the form of software synths. If you dont like the sounds you can uninstall the sounds add new ones what ever you want. The post showing the quad core system is good and i agree power wise that is very impressive and give it 2 years machines twice as powerful will be common place making the miko and the above machine look ancient. I mean its not like we can upgrade these machines when the need arises. When the spec was determined for the mikos and nekos there is obviously a ballance made between component cost and performance, dual core was the processor of the times so therefore that was what openlabs opted for, 4 gb ram was considered a lot of memory at the time when the machines were speced so yes today there are more powerful components but thats today. Also i do not own one of these yet but i will be getting one, i was a hard ware freak, no computer musician was better than me with my hardware, mpcs, tritons etc and then i started to mess with stuff i hadnt used in a while , cubase, fruity loops,sony acid and you know what my production got better, now all i want is a mobile presetup machine that is simple enough that i can integrate my favourite apps and and samples and synths where i dont have to think aboput wich cables ive packed and uprooting a whole load of equiptment everytime i travell. One unit, plug my head phones in a power outlet and ive got everything there. The quad core machine is cool but make sure youve got all your power cables, your monitor leads, your midi keyboard, the midi cable or usb cable, your mouse and your monitor hope i havent forgotten anything.
What i find really funny about the posts is that i have never heard anyone who owns a miko/neko complain about it or say that they prefer to use an ordinary desktop or hardware. correct me if i am wrong. I aint pointing fingers at anyone directly but there have been many posts on this and many other forums regarding price, well it aint cheap but surely it should be evaluated on what the product is useful for and whole arguments about it not based on just its price. Every day people go out and buy designer jeans, they function no better than unbranded jeans and last just as long but i dont see anyone complaining about them. You can either afford them or you cant but if you had to review an armani suite i dont think anyone would comment that you could get a similar or even better suite fromn your local walmart or to the peeps in the uk topman. Ias you can tell i love typing, i would like to know more about the cons of the item other than its price.

Holla

808bass said:
not sure how it goes with power cunsumption out there but here in the UK that ammounts to a lot of electricicity useage. I have seen some home stuidios that they must have massive bills coming through the door. The other thing is and i guess this kind of goes to the hardware software argument, for someone who is mobile like myself, carrying one unit is a lot simpler than carrying my 5 favourite keyboards around on my travels.
Holla

Well, if you have money to buy such a luxurious hardware, its obvious that you should have money to pay the power & light bill.
About the carrying, that's a good point.
I play live with synthesizers, harware live performance, and something that I hate, its carrying and installing all that equipment before and after shows.

But a single software based machine can even reach an army of synths. You CAN'T have all the synths loaded on the NEKO at the same time. Is very simple, that detail defines it all and end the discussion... having all the synths turned on, with hundreds of knobs, sliders, keys and all kind of hardware controllers for multiple parameters, dozens of blinking lights.... you must be kidding if you prefer a single NEKO software performer instead a dozen of synths playing...

balma said:
Well, if you have money to buy such a luxurious hardware, its obvious that you should have money to pay the power & light bill.
About the carrying, that's a good point.
I play live with synthesizers, harware live performance, and something that I hate, its carrying and installing all that equipment before and after shows.

But a single software based machine can even reach an army of synths. You CAN'T have all the synths loaded on the NEKO at the same time. Is very simple, that detail defines it all and end the discussion... having all the synths turned on, with hundreds of knobs, sliders, keys and all kind of hardware controllers for multiple parameters, dozens of blinking lights.... you must be kidding if you prefer a single NEKO software performer instead a dozen of synths playing...

Hi,

So you want to turn this to a hardeware vs software debate, yeah you can have your arsenal of hardware synths, but the same can be done on the majority of daws. Presets can be saved with ease, can have multiple instances of the same synth if it has only one midi chanel, creating multisamples and combis is real simple, Oh and rember you could rig up additional midi controller keyboard and set up a simple multi sample with combis. Back to the cost thing, your set up one you work it out probably costed you a lot more and yeah you got lots of pretty little toys to look at and knobs to play with but io would like to know what you arsenal of hardware can do that can be done in a software.

And please nots let forget the neko has midi cables so if you want you can connect it up to your synths and control them from the miko/neko.

Lets see, one off cost of miko purchase and then the cost of electricity vs one off cost of buying 7 synths cables patch bays mixer s and then the continual cost ofd running all that equiptement and generating all that heat ion the studio hmmm.

And no you cant have all the synths loaded on the miko at the same time, not mimiked ones, emulated ones you can have dozens of synths loaded at once. I wont say 300 as openlabs state but i would say 20 synths is well within its capability and thats being conservative as i can easily do the same with my laptop. And you could play all at the same time using multi samples key zones and combis and create complex sounds, would like to see the same done with your array of synths without using a pc or mac.

Explain how that is done?

Ok yeah you can keep adding more and more synths and cables and patchbays and figure out how to get all of those to communicate with one another and i could run more and more vsts and plugins, even plugins where there is no hardware equivelent and soon the cpu would struggle and then i could network up another computer to host my plugins, or even another miko ok so now i have to carry an extra power cable a network cable but now i am able to host thousands of more sounds.

I got two hands so how can i play alot of those sounds together, oh yeah i could make a combi using the least cpu hungry quality sounding vsts and make a sound that you would struggle to make with your army of synths but then you got the flashing lights on all those synths glowing away.

Well why dont i connect my miko to a projector and run the video dj software as i play and run some visuals that will not only entertain me but also my audiance or even sony vegas.

Can your army of synths do that or will you require other equiptment to do that as well.

holla back

only problem i see with this product is if something fails you are f@cked.

with a more modular setup if something fails it will be cheaper to get back on the road (maybe not if the computer fails) but you get the point.

i would not buy one for my "main" setup. imagine having a deadline and something fails.

it is definitly a luxury and not a must have.

if you got it like that get 3 of them. :victory:

neverenoughfunk said:
only problem i see with this product is if something fails you are f@cked.

with a more modular setup if something fails it will be cheaper to get back on the road (maybe not if the computer fails) but you get the point.

i would not buy one for my "main" setup. imagine having a deadline and something fails.

it is definitly a luxury and not a must have.

if you got it like that get 3 of them. :victory:
I agree on the product failure side of things but there isnt many things that could go wrong that you couldnt fix, id imagine it would be as difficult to repair as it would to repair a pc. But yes i agree in an emergency situation it could be a problem.

And yeah having 1 as a backup could be an issue in critical situations ie when touring etc.

And true its not a must have, its just a choice of many choices that one makes and works around. You choose a motif at the cost of having the sounds of a fantom or the interface of a triton. You choose an mpc2000 over the 4000 or a roland mv8800 with its vga output. Just a lot of people maybe knock the item because it is unaffordable to them rather than because its a crap product.

When owners come back with negative issues about it as they really are the only ones that have the true user experience of it and the workflow. spending 10 minutes on it in a music store is not going to qualify someone as a user.

And i no it dosnt make your music better it sounds as good as the sounds that are on it, 25000 sounds, theres got to be some quality ones in there and then you can add what ever sounds you feel you need. Its not too far off the concept of an mpc as it is only sounds as good as what you put into int and when the points at when your fingers hit the pad. It does no more than that, there is no mystical timing or feel as people claim, thats probably more of a placebo effect implanted by succesful producers who use a hell of a lot of technique and session musicians and engineers...

Last edited:
Back