Akai MPK49 WTF?

im straight . . . . i think i'll pass . . . . nice starter piece tho if u wanna hook it up to reason or whatever

I saw in another thread someone said that 399 euros should be about $500. not sure if thats correct but thats what they said.

i'VE BEEN HEARING 400$, PRICY, BUT ANYONE WITH A rEASON SETUP MIGHT CONSIDER THE CONTROLLER IF THEY LOOKIN FOR ONE.

To me, it offers little more than an m-audio axiom. Which will probably only be slightly cheaper when all is said and done. But i bought a mpd for kicks, thinking it wold be a fun little thing to use, nothing but problems. So i'd much rather go with an m-audio device i know is rock solid.

I'm pissed though, i have always said, if akai made a keyboard sampler, i'd buy it instantly. So now they made something that fits exactly what i wanted to a tee. But the forgot the Fing sampler. Akai makes sampers, lol, i'm pissed about it.

i juss wanna know if itll be compatible with fruity loops

And the looking is important, cuz ugly shyt stops my creativity. This thing looks very sexy btw, it might look like a toy for some because it's not a real photo it's just a 3D modelling pic.

And mofos are not hyped because it's from Akai, this thing looks way better than other Drumpad and Keyboard in one products.
The Axiom shyt looks way more like a toy and very cheap than this one.

I would like to use the transport buttons but not every sequencer supports MMC so be aware of that.

BTW Akai has real fvcked up prices and that they release this after everyone bought the MPD24 is fvcked up too.

If this pic would have exists a couple month before, then I wouldn't have bought my padKontrol but anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
To thinkproductionz: I don't see why it wouldn't be. They would be missing out on a lot of potential customers.
I agree that the swing function, arpeggiator and note repeat look sweet but the price is going to turn a lot of people away I think.

to metastatik: Where did you get that photo? Are those just the mpc 500 pads?

to rocsta: Have you used an axiom / own one? I'm going to have to defend it here because its a very competent controller in its price range.

Last edited:
I think Akai is going to make a virtual-MPC type plug-in to grasp the software producers. It'd be a smart move because every kid with a cracked program and working fingers thinks they're a producer.

Preme11291 said:
I think Akai is going to make a virtual-MPC type plug-in to grasp the software producers. It'd be a smart move because every kid with a cracked program and working fingers thinks they're a producer.
AKAI has already a software developing team. Everything people enjoy about the workflow of the MPC is programmed by people developing software for the machines. (plus people designing all the other stuff like buttons and faders and inner structure of all inner circuits and stuff of course)

I don't think they are running out of business anytime soon, but *IF* Akai would develop a new production software for your favorite computer and abandon their sampler series, I bet whatever they will offer will be a nice solution.

Last edited:
They probably will make something, but still make it inferior to the MPC.

how much more inferior? If talking Computer "DAW" wise? :p

Last edited:
It will be a virtual Akai S sampler and only read samples from Akai samplers. If they do it, most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
AKAI already made the MPC 500 to cover the "lower end (portable stuff)"
This MPK thing is just a simple midi controller. It will never have any sampling capabilities or sequencing or whatever the like.

Preme11291 said:
They probably will make something, but still make it inferior to the MPC.

Of course they will if they're smart. Otherwise they're cutting into their own pockets. If you make it equal or better everyone will buy it and MPCs will phase out. If you make something not QUITE as good you can still appeal to the software heads but still give a reason to need the MPC as well. They win either way.

I know, I was just saying what I can imagine a plug-in from Akai would be like. Then JJ would have to find a way to fix those bugs too :)

Preme11291 said:
I know, I was just saying what I can imagine a plug-in from Akai would be like. Then JJ would have to find a way to fix those bugs too :)
What in my humble opinion still counts is that if people at software research from AKAI would start to develop a VST Host/sequencer based on their knowledge about user-friendlyness of their sampler series, they would score big time.
Just as far as I know of course. I only have messed with an AKAI S01 for long terms and played around with an MPC 2000 for a while. :p

Fruity Loops, Live, Cubase and Reason already got software in a chokehold.

Preme11291 said:
Fruity Loops, Live, Cubase and Reason already got software in a chokehold.
That's the point. They do what they can do best. Computers with their own encapsuled programs. (AKAI)

I really think though that IF Akai would announce something in the lines of: "the new AKAI sequencer for your computer" they would still get a big share. No matter what "major" progs are on top of the list right now.

Last edited:
Back