akai mpc's

B

-Barz-

When i listin to commerical beats and demo's of akai 2000xl i find a diffrence in quality. the beats on mtv or radio sound much better than an akai sorry but they do. I was wondering could i use the akai 1000 mpc alone when it comes out and create crzy beats or do professionals use other equipment. I think an 1000 mpc hooked to a pc is a good setup, makin beats like wanksta or in tha club or oh boy can they be made on the 1000 mpc.

Yes ... professionals use a lot of other equipment in addition to an MPC.

sampling and sequencing

What is the akai 1000 mpc really good for. I get a ton of sounds which i can also import from my pc. Then use the pads to create loops or sequence right? The akai can create full fleged beats or just take audio and chop it up. I wanna make beats , how do these guys who come out with cds get the instruments on to the cd. Do they play the instrument or what. I also am not intrested in taking audio into mpc and editing it but, using it as a studio to programm drums and other things and make beats. can i do all those things. i heard about the mp7 in terms of hip hop where would i i have bigger possibilites and expansion ability and ease of use. Which one would be more cost effective for hip hop. thx

Last edited by a moderator:
The MPC will be the "brain" of your set-up. You will also need a synth (or sound module with MIDI keyboard) to play instruments.

It will be the first step, and what you call "pre production".

After that, you need to mix it into Pro Tools or a real studio, to get that finished CD sound (EQ, Reverb, Compression).

And then, mastering.

I know this is "future" producers, but dont stretch it, guys...;)

and something wise from me now:
making beats is something you can learn in 1 month..

sounding like the radio tracks you refer to will take another 10 years of learning from you, if you are investing much time into it..

and no single piece of hardware or software will get you into that..

Thanks Needle.
I was thinking of what anybody could say to this. But you got it best. One thing that's scary about the internet coupled with this current craze for being producers, is that folks don't do any "homework." No disrespect intended.

Although there are no bad or stupid questions, you can easily get an answer that that you are unprepared for. So, some study about the subject first gives you some reference for the answers that you'll get because without that, one question turns into 20.

Peace.

im good

im good with reverb and all. But I dont know why I would need a sound module or a synth.

thx

"But I dont know why I would need a sound module or a synth"

Some people need sound modules or synths:
1) Portability
2) Nice knobby interface
3) Unique sound
4) Expanded polyphony
5) Don't like sampling
6) Don't like computers

cool

is mophat a sound module. Cuz i hate everythin on that list i hate makin music on the pc.

can u name a few good hip hop/rap etc modules synths

Compressor

Tube Compression and Amp Modeling for that "industry sound".

Some people think that the MPC Sequences don't need any EQ or Processing... but, they do.

-Barz- said:
When i listin to commerical beats and demo's of akai 2000xl i find a diffrence in quality. the beats on mtv or radio sound much better than an akai sorry but they do. I was wondering could i use the akai 1000 mpc alone when it comes out and create crzy beats or do professionals use other equipment. I think an 1000 mpc hooked to a pc is a good setup, makin beats like wanksta or in tha club or oh boy can they be made on the 1000 mpc.

Pro Tools and...Pro Tools, you dont need fancy equipmet to beef up your MPC sound though, you can get Pro Tools Free and record your sequence. Double up the tracks, hit a low pass filter on one and a high pass filter on the other (using the Digi EQ) and your sound will instantly have that pro beefiness. SInce PT Free is limtied to 8 tracks (i believe) you can just bounce down your tracks if you need more. Then hit some light compression on the master fader and your done. Mix it to .wav, a DAT, or a HiFi VCR tape (same tape saturation ratio as old reel to reels...secret weapon).

Back