Akai MPC 2500

Mpc2500!!!! - ???

I noticed some producers talking about an mpc 2500. Do you know a release date and specs on it? Price too please.

mano 1 said:

YOu may be surprised ot hear that I actually like my MPC 1000's smaller LCD screen, for what the MPC is used for.

I mainly made the point about the monitor because the LED screen went out on my MPC twice.....that took away almost 11 months away from me using it while waiting on back-logged parts.

With the VGA monitor on the MV, it's like having a spare tire in case you get a flat. I know that I will always see my screen.....I could replace a cheap monitor easier than ordering a specialized part that could get discontinued!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the pic and specs I've seen on this seem fake.

Not to say that there isn't a new MPC comming...I just think the 2500 that we're seeing/hearing about right now is a fake.

Originally posted by 14K

I mainly made the point about the monitor because the LED screen went out on my MPC twice.....that took away almost 11 months away from me using it while waiting on back-logged parts.

With the VGA monitor on the MV, it's like having a spare tire in case you get a flat. I know that I will always see my screen.....I could replace a cheap monitor easier than ordering a specialized part that could get discontinued!

Two things.....

One, I am glad that I didn't get an MPC 1000 :)

Just joking...but if your screen went out on you 2X's, than you may have just lucked out and got an MPC with a defective screen...or you are leaving your MPC on for days without turning it off.

Second, you sent your MPC to the wrong place to have it serviced. If you sent it to VST Service or Forat...and followed their instructions for sending it correctly..they would have gotten it turned around immediately. I have never had any problems with getting services/products from these companies.

I do agree that an VGA option would be great...or design the MPCs LCD with parts that users can easily replace themselves if needed.

Last edited:
6291965875453853.JPG

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000723057217/

Last edited:
14k said:

The MV is real though.....I've got to love it! I used to be a loyal MPC user. Bad customer service, poorly translated manuals, and LED screen that kept going out, while Akai had the parts on a 6 month back order! I had to wait a year total (went out twice) to use something I bought for production. That's not productive!!!

I got a big 19" flat LCD monitor for my MV! :victory: No problems there!

Well, until Roland gets their shiznaz together, people like myself can't use it. A VGA monitor does NOT help with a fundemental flaw in the MV 8000's sequencer.

One CAN NOT select Program Change as a Track Parameter, it must be within the sequence itself.

Because of this, everytime the MV loops it will change the tweaking that I did on my external gear back to the preset program change everytime it loops.

This is an ESSENTIAL feature if your not doing linear production.

From my understanding from the MVNation list, Roland US has repeatedly asked for this from Japan, but Japan appears to be ignoring that request, adding in pretty things like PicJam and what not.

Again this is an ESSENTIAL feature that makes the MV very unusable for me even with it's pretty monitor behind it. Even my Mastertracks Pro on my Mac Plus can do this and has been able to do this for the last 15 years....

Arggg....

I'm not saying that i wouldn't take a free MV if they threw it at me, but it couldn't be my main workhorse, until they put this simple but very important feature into it. I actually like many of it's features, it would just be nice if Roland AND Akai would step and make a REAL machine...

Cheers,

Dave

Orignally posted by renegadeblissI actually like many of it's features, it would just be nice if Roland AND Akai would step and make a REAL machine...

No disrespect...but REAL machine? If you can't make music with Akai or Roland products...it might be you. In no way would any company put everything every user requested. I can't comment on the MV anymore since I got rid of it a few months ago...but my MPCs are stable and do everything I need them to do.

Now with the possibility of adding new technology to them sounds appealing..especially, if it has the Recycle chopping features...then I can get rid of Recycle...which is actually very useful for my S6000..

jahrome said:

No disrespect...but REAL machine? If you can't make music with Akai or Roland products...it might be you. In no way would any company put everything every user requested. I can't comment on the MV anymore since I got rid of it a few months ago...but my MPCs are stable and do everything I need them to do.

Now with the possibility of adding new technology to them sounds appealing..especially, if it has the Recycle chopping features...then I can get rid of Recycle...which is actually very useful for my S6000..

No Disrespect taken! I never said that I can't make music with Akai or Roland products. I've been making music on an S-950 and a Mac Plus running Master Track Pro 5 for over 10 years (along with a bunch of analog synths). My MPC 4000 has nicely replaced Mac Plus/S-950 for a bit more then a year

What I was meaning, is that their are several things on both machines that could be improved with existing technology. Many of these could be resolved by software only changes.
And could make them sell more products, as well as open creativity for me. If they do NOT implement them, will I stop using their products? No, but if they implemented them, would I use them? YES!

I could sit and list things for hours, but I"ll just name a few, but both companies are living in the 22nd century. The MV only supports a 40G harddrive (it can handle more but Roland says DON'T DO IT). and the MPC will only support 2 120G drives. RAM, 512 is just not enough, and more RAM is easy these days, expect that they've made a product that won't allow one to put more in...

MV

- Q-Link sequencer (one of my favourites from the 4000 for adding dynamics)

- Ablity to use filter on Audio Tracks without wasting an MultiFX

- Modulation Matrix (this is a MUST)

- Any form of external storage - 4000 can use USB jump drives, USB Harddrive , SCSI Harddrives

- more then 32 stereo voices (on MV polyphony halfs with stereo samples)

- more then 16 instruments available at once (on the MPC we have up to 128)

- ability to exoprt midi sequences as MIDI File Type 0 and 1. Even the MC909 has this ability

- more then 1 filter at a time available for instruments & Audio Tracks

- more then 1 LFO for instruments and Audio Tracks

- more then 1 Envelope for instruments and Audio Tracks, currently, the Envelope is shared between the VCA and the Filter (where the MPC has
2 multi-stage envelopes and 1 ADSR envelope)

- ability to automate(record into sequencer) many of the tweakable parameters. effects control (and mixer for that matter) are not currently automatable

MPC

- VGA out

- Ability to have more then 6 banks
(this can be done via a software change)

- MORE RAM - 512M is a lot but not if your doing a 3 hour nonstop live set

- Burn Audio on CD

- Visual editing sequence in Ak.Sys

- Ability to set one of the FX as a "Master FX" insert/send, that way one can put reverb or compression or eq on the master output.

- ability to record a song via playing "Next Sequence" pads

- Audio Track IN (like ASR)

- RealTimeStretching

- FX need Midi-Syncable option like LFO's

- Multi Modulation Matrix - mpc's modulation matrix is Program based which is great (where are you on the MV?) but what would be even better would be a seperate 64 point modulation matrix for the Multi's, so that one can set CC's on FX and the Mixer, or one can route a Midi Syncable LFO to the FX..

Cheers,

Dave

jahrome said:

Two things.....
...if your screen went out on your 2X's, then you may have just lucked out and got an MPC with a defective screen...or you are leaving your MPC on for days without turning it off.

No, the MPC series has a long history of going out. One of the reasons it took so long is because there were 6 to 7 customers ahead of me. Akai distribution center were only sending 2 individual parts per store every 2 or three months
jahrome said:

Second, you sent your MPC to the wrong place to have it serviced. If you sent it to VST Service or Forat...and followed their instructions for sending it correctly..they would have gotten it turned around immediately.

I checked 13 authorized repair centers. All said they were waiting on parts from Akai. So it wouldn't have mattered where I went if they didn't have parts. So I had to wait!

I found out that Akai had closed down several main distribution centers and parts weren't be shipped. That's bad customer service. Almost 1 year waiting with gear collecting dust. That's what I like about the MV......not worried about my screen anymore!

It probably wouldnt be on the site. the products on the site are products that have already been released... atleast this is what I observed... Hopefully it is coming out and hopefully it gives the software out right now a run for its munny

AIM: BossGrinding

No, the MPC series has a long history of going out. One of the reasons it took so long is because there were 6 to 7 customers ahead of me. Akai distribution center were only sending 2 individual parts per store every 2 or three months

You probably wasn't aware of me in these forums...but I could have saved you the time by dealing directly with Akai Japan for parts. They fix my MPCs and get it back to me within 2-5 days.

I could sit and list things for hours, but I"ll just name a few, but both companies are living in the 22nd century. The MV only supports a 40G harddrive (it can handle more but Roland says DON'T DO IT). and the MPC will only support 2 120G drives. RAM, 512 is just not enough, and more RAM is easy these days, expect that they've made a product that won't allow one to put more in...

These arguments have been made plenty of times but not everyone wants/need these extras. And it is business. If their research/development determine that they could make a bigger profit off of these additions...than they would probably add these features. Who knows? Many of us MPC 3000 users want them to bring it back. I don't ever see that happening..

I never bought any MPC wanted to be a self-contained workstation so many of these features I would never think about using. That is why I went backed to the 3000 after buying the 4000.

As I read your post again...none of those features would be make/break for me..but I am not down playing your feature requests.

well if it is real, i hope it has the option for VGA expansion like the MV-8000

working on them small lcd screens hurts my already weak ass eyes after a while

It's ****ing real. Jesus Christ. People have been going on about this for way too long. its real. if you really want to find out for sure just ring akai and ask. they'll tell you

jahrome:
I kinda know what you're saying, but my chief complaint would be customer support for Akai. If they had parts elsewhere they should have at least let their authorized repair centers know about it. Wish I did know you when I had that problem, but many others including myself didn't know you....which falls back on customer service.

Akai gave me a lasting impression that they had my money and didn't give a damn after that. I'm sorry, but a year out of service waiting on parts doesn't make me want to run out and buy another Akai product!

Yes, Roland only has a 40 gig hard-drive. They probably could have put in a 300gig, but that's not important to me, because I back-up everything. If I had 40, 80, 120, 200 gigs of material loaded and lost it all without backing it up.....I'd be a fool. I'm also not going to do more than 3 or 4 songs without backing it up. It doesn't take 40 gigs to do a couple of songs. so what's the point in having a 300 gig drive. Plus worst case scenario, if the gear was ever stolen...I'd rest a little easier knowing that nobody got ALL of my SOUNDS and TRACKS! I'd have small amount on the HD, everything else backed-up......feel me?

The same goes for tracks! The MV's got 136 tracks which is good for bragging rights, but who really uses all 136 tracks in one song??? It's good to have, but not needed.

The screen is important to me, I can work around the 40gig HD issues! Ya' Know

Akai USA has gone through some restructuring. They have new distribution channels. I don't work for them and make no excuses for any misteps with their customer service. I go straight to the source. I do business with Akai Branches in Asia..not beacuse I knew of some top secret channel..jusy because I lived in Japan for 13 years. I am in the good ol USA again..but I will continue to get what I need overseas. Waiting for a year for a part doesn't make sense...but I do know that the expansion boards for the Akai MPCs have been produced in very limited quantities for what ever reason.

I was just sitting at my MPC and thought about a useful feature..

When I have my MPC MIDI upped to a synth, like a Fantom XR, I would like to select Preset banks directly from the main menu screen.

Currently, I can use the Program (PGM) function so that I can scroll through patches in a particular program in the Fantom. However, the Fantom X has 9 preset banks. 1 GM bank, 1 user bank, and by adding SRX expansion boards...that is 6 more additional banks. So if I had bank selections(MSB/LSB) in addition to the program select functions on the MPCs main screen..It would significantly enhance my work flow.

I can take it further with a new improved MPC 4000. What if I
it could load patch scripts from my favorite synths. I would be able to read the names of my patches as I am selecting/scrolling through them onboard the MPC 4000!

Is anyone listening? Akai..where you at?

:)

Last edited:
You can do that with the MV!
You can have up to 12,288 individual pads available with all details, just with the MV alone!

Formula=6 banks x 16 pads= 96 pads
96 pads x 128 patches= 12,288

Now just image using your wide screen monitor on the MV and dragging and dropping song files. It's heaven sent!
Using PC or MAC only enhances things! I know the 4K has got an USB port too! The monitor sure puts fire to it though!

Originally posted by 14K

You can do that with the MV!
You can have up to 12,288 individual pads available with all details, just with the MV alone!

Formula=6 banks x 16 pads= 96 pads
96 pads x 128 patches= 12,288

We are no talking about the same thing. You are talking about INTERNAL sounds. I am talking about selecting patches/banks from an EXTERNAL synth.

Last edited:
Back