Purchasing krk rokit 5 for hiphop/rnb production?

pressplayx

NOT YOUR AVERAGE PRODUCER
Hey FP. Just done a bit of research and I was wondering what monitors to purchase between KRKs RP5 and YAMAHA HS50s. I was gonna go with Behringers but got crucified for mentioning them LOL. What do you guys think I should get. I need speakers with a nice bass response but have a clear, crisp and clean sound, a truthful sound. Thanks

The behringer truth 2031A are actually very good monitors for the price. Much better that the others you've mentioned. In school we did a shoot out between the real genelec 1031,hk monitors, krk vxt 8, NS10, Tannoy reveal, haffler monitors, and the behringers.... the winners where HK, Genelec, than behringer...this was an actually coherency test not opinion. PPL just dont understand behringer...all they do is reverse engineer gear with cheaper parts and in this case they reverse engineered some genelecs and they did a good job...

Hey FP. Just done a bit of research and I was wondering what monitors to purchase between KRKs RP5 and YAMAHA HS50s. I was gonna go with Behringers but got crucified for mentioning them LOL. What do you guys think I should get. I need speakers with a nice bass response but have a clear, crisp and clean sound, a truthful sound. Thanks
They're all fine entry level stuff depends on what you want to spend really but if you want a real truthful sound you are not going to get it in an untreated room in this price range. That is still ok you can get good sound but know that there will be limitations.

I would go with the KRK's. There a staple mark for Hip-Hop producers now days. I have the Rokit 6's and absolutely love them to the fullest! And a majority of other producers i network with also have KRK's. There Bass is pretty f*ckin awesome lol.

I wouldn't go with either of those. Rokit's are muddy and color the sound and the Yamaha's don't have much bottom end. If I HAD to choose one of the two I'd go with the Yamaha's because they are more accurate than the KRK's, but for the same price ($199 each I believe) I'd go with the JBL LSR2325P. They sound great and have a good amount of low end for 5" monitors.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't go for monitors that "sound good". They're not supposed to. They're supposed to be flat and give you an accurate representation of the music so the mix translates well on other systems.

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a pair of Yamaha's as a second pair of monitors to A/B a mix.

Last edited:
Got a pair of the KRK in the limited edition whites. They have a nice bass tone, sometimes i feel the mixes don't translate too well to other types of speakers (car stereo, etc..) They are a great bang for buck buy though.

+1 for the Behringer Truths. For the price they are excellent and are not nearly as "colored" as KRK's. The KRK RP line kind of sucks in my opinion. I owned the RP-8's and although they are great for *listening* to music, they aren't very faithful for mixing / mastering at home. The low end is too exaggerated, the mids are a lacking presence and definition, and the highs can be fatiguing after a while. Bear in mind, this opinion is based upon critical listening for mixing purposes, not casual "just listening to music" purposes. The RP-5's are also not very powerful bass-wise, so even if you did want to go the KRK route, I would suggest going up to the RP-8's. They can shake the house. In my opinion, the best budget monitor choice right now is the Yamaha HS80m. They are unforgiving and do not "sound good," meaning they will not flatter your music by making it sound better than it actually is. They are brutally honest, IMO. This is good because it forces you to record better, mix better, etc. They're only $299 apiece, which I feel is a real bargain. You can get the matching sub for another $300 and have a fantastic monitor setup for less than a grand.

So in short, the KRK's are great if you just want some good monitors to listen to music... but if you want something that will translate well to other sources, whether that be headphones, car stereos, home stereos, ipods, etc... get something less colorful. The Behringer Truths mentioned previously are good for the price but I'd spend a little more and get the HS80m's... skip over the HS50's...

Of course, if the acoustics in your room are crap, it really doesn't matter what monitors you buy.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

One other thing... the best-sounding KRK monitors IMHO are the KRK VXT6's. They're quite nice but I dig the Yamaha HS80m's way too much. The main thing to remember is that you will hardly ever find a general consensus view when it comes to monitors because it's all very subjective. It is totally possible to make a great-sounding mix with KRK monitors but you have to have them set up correctly, positioned correctly, have your room treated (if possible), and also learn to work around their coloration.

Back