Native Instruments Maschine

I've been looking into getting a Maschine for quite some time now. I'm not a huge sampler, it's mainly the huge drum sample library that attracts me, but I would use it for sampling from time to time. To anyone who has a Maschine, was it a good choice? I've read a couple of reviews online and they all seem to praise it with hardly any negatives, I'd like to have a little go of one but no music shops where I live have any at all, so I'm relying purely on the internet to help me. :P

I think it's pretty funny when all I see is positive reviews, but these things are all over EBay every day - all day, not to say maschine isn't a great tool, so please but away the pitch forks and stop assembling the mob ;)

Last edited:
I am sorry, i do not know how to link to other posts here, with my iPad.

i just put in my two cents to the post: "What essential hardware..." regarding the NI Maschine.

i hope it helps to know that an actual user gives it a positive review.

-Ed

I do have a Maschine MK1 as well as a Mikro 2 and I really like them. I use them mainly as an instrument and and export all my tracks to Logic where I sequence everything and do my mix there...

For me, my Maschine is really useful and I would not live without it......

Thanks everybody :)

Yeah, I mean I'm looking to use it more as an instrument myself, rather than a sampling tool. The only thing that puts me off buying one is I wonder if I would get the full use out of it? Because I don't plan on using the in-built software, I would just use it as a controller for FL so I can use the sounds that come with it, but I feel like there's more to the Maschine than just the sounds. :/

If you're just looking for a controller why not save a ton of money and just buy a midi controller
instead of the Maschine?

Alot of people are jumping on this Maschine bandwagon because it's one of the newer sampler/
sequencers but don't need it because it doesn't suit their needs.That's why so many people are
turning around and re-selling them.

There are tons of other samplers available,you just have to think about what you want to do
then research and then make a choice.

Peace

I have the Maschine MK2 and the Akai Renaissance. They are both wonderful pieces of machinery/technology! However, there is learning curve attached to both. I imagine the reason you see so many of them for sale on Ebay is because people bought them and found out that without a lot of work and study they are totally useless. People sell them because they're incapable of operating them. Let me pose a question: do you think someone could learn to play a guitar, piano, saxophone, etc at virtuoso level in six months or a year? NO! And no one without any experience is going to learn to use these machines in six months or a year. Don't buy the Maschine for the drum sounds because there are many cheaper alternatives. Midi controllers and drum pads are dirt cheap. One alternative is Battery 4 by Native Instruments. I'm amazed that people with little or no musical background or training can think that they will be producing great beats in six months! But I like it when they do because it allows people like myself to buy the Maschine and Renaissance at a lot less than half of what they cost retail.

I have the Maschine MK2 and the Akai Renaissance. They are both wonderful pieces of machinery/technology! However, there is learning curve attached to both. I imagine the reason you see so many of them for sale on Ebay is because people bought them and found out that without a lot of work and study they are totally useless. People sell them because they're incapable of operating them. Let me pose a question: do you think someone could learn to play a guitar, piano, saxophone, etc at virtuoso level in six months or a year? NO! And no one without any experience is going to learn to use these machines in six months or a year. Don't buy the Maschine for the drum sounds because there are many cheaper alternatives. Midi controllers and drum pads are dirt cheap. One alternative is Battery 4 by Native Instruments. I'm amazed that people with little or no musical background or training can think that they will be producing great beats in six months! But I like it when they do because it allows people like myself to buy the Maschine and Renaissance at a lot less than half of what they cost retail.

I see that you have the Maschine and the Renaissance... which one do you like the most?

Asking me that question is like asking someone which one of their children do they like best! LOL! And like any parent I will answer that I like them both equally! LOL! Having said that I will say this: Ive owned MPC's previously, so I'm used to their work flow and at the moment work faster on the MPC. And since I'm more familiar with the MPC I use it more often. However that will change over time as I become more proficient on the Maschine. But as far as one being better than the other, they're not. They both do the same thing and they do it equally well. Each has features that I wish were on the other. I play Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster guitars and its the same thing. I don't like one better than the other. They're both guitars and they both play well. I'm able get beautiful tones out of each and use them both often. I don't know you so I don't know your musical experience or your financial circumstances, but I'm going to use my guitar analogy to answer your question. The Les Paul cost around a thousand dollars or so more than the Strat, If you know how to play a guitar you will be able tp produce beautiful music on either one. If your cash flow is limited go with the Strat. It will do everything a guitar is supposed to do. And if you don't believe me, ask Jimi Hendrix! LOL! And Mr. Hendrix did use a Les Paul in the studio on occasion! My advice to you if you're asking me this question because you're trying to decide which one to buy is this: Buy the Maschine. I think its either five, six, or seven hundred dollars less than the Akai retail. If you've never used either one the difference in the work flow won't matter one way or another. But remember this: they both have steep learning curves and if you think that you're just going buy one and magically start making great beats and beautiful music then you're just fooling yourself and are going to be sorely disappointed! I consider both machines to be actual musical instruments and like any musical instrument they take years of practice to become truly proficient at. I hope this helped.

Back