MPC Renn Discontinued ??

mrlive2ride

Went to GC to purchase Maschine and through the course of our convo the manager tells me that the Renn was discontinued today and it was down to $1099 in their system. Am I slow getting this info? If so is there any truth to this??

---------- Post added 01-04-2013 at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-02-2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

So to follow up with the questions asked in the start of the thread. I spoke to the rep from Guitar Center he said that GC would discontinue carrying the MPC Renn. They will sell whatever stock they have left and not restock their inventory. This is a bad omen for Akai needless to say.......So what will be the next step for Akai?? Any thoughts??

Wow.. already?

If this is true i'm not surprised. Maschine already has this segment on lock. Plus, I hear you couldn't easily integrate the MPC's software with regular DAWs. If that was true... very counter-intuitive.

Either way... this current Akai is not the same Akai that started the MPC years ago. They were bought out and their infrastructure was remodelled from what i've read.

I highly doubt it's been discontinued, since it's only been out a few months. Even if it somehow was a complete failure, the costs of the initial r&d & manufacturing are simply too high for them to cut out so quickly. Maybe it's just GC deciding not to carry it anymore. Then again, what do I know - I've just learnt to take any piece of "information" that originates from GC with a truckload of salt.

I highly doubt it's been discontinued, since it's only been out a few months. Even if it somehow was a complete failure, the costs of the initial r&d & manufacturing are simply too high for them to cut out so quickly. Maybe it's just GC deciding not to carry it anymore. Then again, what do I know - I've just learnt to take any piece of "information" that originates from GC with a truckload of salt.

I tend to agree with you. GC can give some shaky info sometimes. I had it wrong with my initial comment that Akai was discontinuing. GC has just decided not to carry them anymore. They had one for $1099 right on the floor so I think that is a sign of the direction of the Renaissance. As far as the cost to produce how many times have we seen products put out too quickly by companies only for them to scrap it when the product doesnt sell??

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

I highly doubt thats true seeing how you can still purchase one from Guitar Centers website...lol

They said they would sell their current stock and not restock the product. I could be wrong about all this though thats why I put the question out there to the forum. Maybe someone with more info than me can clear this up......

Last edited:
all i gotta say is they better keep developing the ren, making updates and shit cuz its pretty buggy as it is right now or ima be pissed... bought me one when they first came out...

Last edited:
re

I dont think it came out well, but I would be really surprised, too if it was done already. Though as stated above I have heard some crazy and incorrect stuff come out of GC reps' before.

They should make a new type of MPK 88 Midi-Keyboard with the looks of the Renaissance but with 16 Full Pads (not those damn half pads) with LED's and the knobs.
With Automatic Faders and with a good Audio Interface.
So you have all in 1 for your DAW.

I highly highly doubt this is true. The Ren hasn't even been available for 6 months yet. They released them in late August.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Well am not surprised since software isn't AKAI's game, Ren is not really a productive move by the company knowing that theres a Maschine out there.
Maschine and the Ren are very different though. The Ren is actually quite progressive for those who like Mpcs. If the software worked right I would highly consider grabbing one over Maschine to be honest.

You honestly can not trust GC. I have had a GC rep tell me that the MK SLii was not real, meanwhile I own one. I've also had a GC rep tell me that if you put a pillow inside of a snare, it will produce a more resonant sound. I'm a drummer. Wait, even better, I have had a GC rep tell me that USB 2.0 Mic's are better than any RLA Cardioid Condenser mics for vocals. Meanwhile he would not believe that there are even such things as Audio Interfaces, needless to say he was fired a month later, but still. GC does not hire for knowledge of the product.

I personally do not prefer Akai myself, but that is personal opinion and the only reasoning behind my opinion is the "feel" of a Novation controller over Akai. It's all personal preference on that plane, but if you have the money, definitely go for it. You can sometimes find it cheaper on Sweetwater than in GC, GC is a rip off. The one by me was selling the MK SLii for 320 bucks, and I'm not joking.

While I agree guitar center isn't the best source of info...

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. I bounce from studio to studio(alot less these days, but still), and have tons of friends who produce I stay in contact with.

I personally don't know but 1 person who has an MPC Renn. He's impressed, but just 1 person? I knew like 8 with the Motif before I ever saw an ad. Could just be the guys I know.

Sidenote: I can't count how many guys I know who use Maschine, justsayin.

Last edited:
The studio just dropped not to long ago either I don't think its been a month yet. I think its just selling slower than Akai anticipated. Plus Maschine killed mpc sales for a while I am sure a lot of people have been on maschine and are happy there.

Ren is still being manufactured, maybe the shop discontinued Ren due to low sales/ complaints from the customers.

I heard from Ren users that if the software wasnt buggy and actually worked then it would be one serious kit, but the software part of Ren is riddled with bugs like a plague

Ren is still being manufactured, maybe the shop discontinued Ren due to low sales/ complaints from the customers.

I heard from Ren users that if the software wasnt buggy and actually worked then it would be one serious kit, but the software part of Ren is riddled with bugs like a plague
from what I am hearing the Ren actually works really well until you start using vsts with it. Then it becomes crash city.

It's slightly sad and funny at the same time that pretty much everyone agreed that the Ren's only gonna be a serious competitor to the Maschine if the software is up to par from the beginning. And all the cynics - me included - said that Akai's gonna f*ck that part up. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened.

It's slightly sad and funny at the same time that pretty much everyone agreed that the Ren's only gonna be a serious competitor to the Maschine if the software is up to par from the beginning. And all the cynics - me included - said that Akai's gonna f*ck that part up. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened.

Yea, I hoped it would be a lot better quality as I was thinking of copping it. I use mpc and it could be a bit daunting syncing/tracking/recording all the stuff so i hoped ren would ve been good choice.

there are few videos on youtube where Ren owners talk about its problems and software crashes, even with the new update and there are quite a few threads on it on mpc - forum.

But there are also some users who are quite happy with it so it seems hit and miss.
I suspect maybe the software part doesnt like some hardware parts or architecture designs of some pc's/laptops

i personally gonna wait another 1 year and then look into it again plus the price is a bit high for atm.

lol its funny because its true though isn't the only major part of the software that is really f*cked up when handling 3rd party vsts? I hear if you're just working with samples it actually handles pretty well.

If Akai thinks it will have any chance of turning things around after this they need to listen to the what users have to say. They need to find some answers in the software department and then maybe lower the price point. I have had the Maschine for 2 weeks now and Im totally satisfied. It's a very intuitive product. The software is user friendly and works how you think it should work. If you want to do something its very straight forward and clear. I was a MPC die hard. I had a 2000xl since 06' and learned my way around pretty good. I always wanted a way to track directly out from the hardware and knew that one day it would come around to this. It's inevitable that the hardware and software would combine into one product. The Maschine is a near perfect marriage of this and its gonna only get better from here. The Ren was Akai's first attempt at this kind of product and as much as I wanted to believe it was gonna be the s%$t I knew in the back of my mind to wait and see what the public had to say about it. Before I spend $1300 for a MIDI controller I need to hear alot of positive reviews that tell me I need to run out and buy this thing. IMHO too many people get caught up in the "gear" aspects of things rather than just focusing on making good music, Which is what I'm trying to learn to do is make good music. The old school cats made hits with much much less than what we have today. Akai has a chance here to make this right by just going back to the drawing board and listening to their die hard fan base.

Last edited:
Back