MPC 2000xl

Gidoh

I'm saving up for an MPC 2000xl since it's legendary and I have read reviews that said it was great for begginers. I just wanted to know if any of you who have or had this know if it has any serious cons. All i've heard about it was good things.

It is a great piece of hardware that can sample and has an awesome (and easy to use) sequencer. It will work wonderfully with other pieces of hardware. I believe the cons are basically that it doesn't fit in with software based systems. I have a mpc 2000xl. And I don't have the 8 outs expansion. So mixing basically has to be done all inside of the mpc and whatever keyboards/sound modules that your using. Tracking out everything individually is a pain sometimes when you realize how easy it is to mix projects that where made in practically any software daw. So working with an mpc is great but you will basically be making a pretty strong commitment to using hardware. That's probably the biggest con that I could think of. That and everyone with a maschine or fl studio will look at you funny:) lol

Ive had one for a couple of years and its a great bit of kit.
Make sure u get one with maxed ram and scsi.
Even better try and get one with a built in cf card reader. Zip disks are not the best form of storage.
Downside is the memory size you cant build gigantic projects.
The effects board that u can get for it isnt amazing.

Its got a very punchy kinda bright sound. Not that warm and gritty. Depends what your looking for though.

Its a piece of piss to learn and a good mpc to start out on. Maybe upgrade eventually to a 60 or 3000.

I dont think its that great for playing bass lines on but for drums and chopped to **** samples its brilliant.

I would say get one you wont be disappointed

I'll be honest, it depends on where you want your sound to go.

Being that you said you "heard it's good for beginners", I'm gonna assume you haven't done much production at this point.

If you know you want to make music in the lines of what can be done on an MPC, go for it, but most modern music is taking advantage of functionality you will not find in an MPC 2000XL. I'd suggest a beginner start on software over everything else in 2013 UNLESS they want a distinct sound the MPC alone is capable of giving.

All the software options from FL to Maschine to Ableton Live to Reason(and everything inbetween)can do everything an MPC can while incorporating options utilized in modern music the MPC absolutely cannot.

All an MPC does is sample and sequence, no keyboard sounds, no synth engine, so unless you plan to go the route of more classic sounds(Pete Rock, DJ Premier, ect)you're going to have to add other gear to make complete tracks.

I wouldn't advise limiting yourself while starting. 15 years ago, an MPC was one of the highest functioning "starting points", but alot has changed thanks to advancements in software. You will not have a mordern sound with an MPC alone.

The MPC 2000XL definitely has an out of the box punch to it. I have a MPC 1000 and can't get it to produce the same punch. But I've learned how to get there using VST effects. Don't hesitate on the purchase friend, those classic MPCs are definitely are eye openers!

Like a few others have said for a beginner just get you a decent midi controller and a D.A.W.
If you're not familiar with song structure and sequencing,an MPC might be too much to handle.
You can save the money and get your skills up first.Not trying to discourage you,if you can
find one with a card reader,max ram and 8 outs for a reasonable price,i go for it.
Just be prepared to put in ALOT of work if you want to be good at it,it can be frustrating.

Peace

Back