Mixer with DAW

PekoTheProducer

Shitty Producer
Can I hook up any analog mixer through interface to my computer and than control parameters in daw (like moving faders and knobs)?
If not could I do that with digital mixer or it will only work with midi controller with faders and knobs (like nanokontrol)?

sadly not just any hardware mixer can be used

there are some like the digital audio mixers from behringer and yamaha and roland that allow you to control features in your daw but they are not cheap

getting a control surface is what you really want and these are also not cheap nor as prevalent as they once were

Honestly, I have a Projectmix with motorized faders and all I really use it for is to freak out my cat. Its definitely cool and makes my set up look dope, but functionality wise I can get stuff done way quicker with a mouse. I would start off with a small/cheap control surface and see how it fits your workflow then go from there.

I know you want to me to say yes but the answer is it will be different on a case by case basis - i.e. some may some may not but there is no way to generalise the answer

Don't be like my boy over at Fullsail, you don't need a mixer for controlling faders and knobs. Get a Korg nanoKontrol or nanoKontrol2, I have one only because I bought it for $15 brand new. It's cool having a hardware feel to your setup, but that's overrated, you'll realize it's much faster doing everything in the box rather than outside. Sometimes I wish I had 3 hands, so I didn't have to move my hand off of my mouse or keyboard to my piano-keyboard, let alone moving to a controller for mixing. Controlling your mixer from hardware just isn't worth the extra time.

Controlling your mixer from hardware just isn't worth the extra time.

which only goes to show that you really do not know as much about this business as you claim to - there are some very good reasons to use external controllers to control a mix whether it is in the box or via hardware console; mostly to do with not having more than two hands to control the mix in the first place - even tougher when the mixer is mouse controlled as you can't even move more than one fader/knob/switch at a time with the mouse

which only goes to show that you really do not know as much about this business as you claim to - there are some very good reasons to use external controllers to control a mix whether it is in the box or via hardware console; mostly to do with not having more than two hands to control the mix in the first place - even tougher when the mixer is mouse controlled as you can't even move more than one fader/knob/switch at a time with the mouse

Don't pull one sentence at the end of my response and use it out of context. My response is to him and this thread pertaining to someone who just mentioned they wanted a controller for controlling parameters (faders and knobs), that's 1. Unnecessary, 2. A waste of money, and 3. A waste of time. That's especially true when most controllers are universal and not tailored to a specific piece of software to give you any benefit outside of transport controls, moving knobs, faders, muting, and soloing. On top of that you're usually managing multiple banks and scenes on a controller with far too little available knobs and faders with no indication of what you're controlling, unless you tailor your workflow to that of an actual Mix Engineer and write everything down. Controlling everything in the box is more conventional for the majority of the producers out there, and it's by far faster that way. Young producers need to stop forking up money on mixers with 10+ inputs they're never going to use, that don't integrate much with their DAW's outside of basic controls, just to realize they do everything faster in the box. If you prefer to suggest people waste money to balance levels and pan tracks then go back into their DAW to control their effects and actually work on their mix, then that's on you.

I'm not going to suggest what you suggest, sorry if that offends you but we have different perspectives.

I have not anywhere said he should buy a mixer in fact the opposite is true

but what you wrote at the end of your last post was inane and uninformed from my perspective (I know how long you've been this and you know how long I've been doing this from another thread we have both posted in)

suffice to say that I think you are wrong to say do not use an external controller for the in-the-box mixer of any software - it is short sighted and does not reflect the long term growth of you or any one else choosing to pursue this as more than just a hobby

But you insinuate otherwise by shooting down my statement, saying I'm uninformed when in fact I'm more than informed as I'm talking from experience along with a personal friends experience who was in the same predicament as the OP. Yes you're exactly correct, and that gap in experience for me is no different from the gap in your experience with how the majority of people work in this present moment. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if you actually owned an actual console, outboard rack mounted gear, and have put decades into mastering your workflow to the point that the idea of working solely in the box seems simple and something only someone uninformed would do or recommend.

I never said not to use an external controller for your mixer. I think you missed the part where I recommended he get the nanoKontrol and experience it for himself, or the part where I own one myself, which I have used on multiple projects and occasions. I simply followed up with my opinion based on my experience. You have a completely different experience and your opinion is subject to it.

please don't bother to try to argue your way out of this I caught all that you did say and then you undid it all by saying they shouldn't bother which is just plain contrary

i.e you took two different positions within the same argument and then got bent out of shape for being taken to task for it

No need to argue my way out of anything, there's no point to make beyond my clarification. It's 2014, not 1980, there isn't much need for outboard mixing to control basic parameters outside of workflow preference, OP will see for themselves.

sadly not just any hardware mixer can be used

there are some like the digital audio mixers from behringer and yamaha and roland that allow you to control features in your daw but they are not cheap

getting a control surface is what you really want and these are also not cheap nor as prevalent as they once were
+1 Though I always think about the BCF 2000. I bought one 10 years ago and it still works for me when I need it. I rarely pull it out now though. Its one of those nice to have things but totally not needed.

Don't be like my boy over at Fullsail, you don't need a mixer for controlling faders and knobs. Get a Korg nanoKontrol or nanoKontrol2, I have one only because I bought it for $15 brand new. It's cool having a hardware feel to your setup, but that's overrated, you'll realize it's much faster doing everything in the box rather than outside. Sometimes I wish I had 3 hands, so I didn't have to move my hand off of my mouse or keyboard to my piano-keyboard, let alone moving to a controller for mixing. Controlling your mixer from hardware just isn't worth the extra time.

It might be faster doing everything in the box with the mouse if you don't have your shit together or if your DAW sucks ass....otherwise it's way quicker to fly around using a well set up controller.

You don't need a physical mixer unless it's a live situation. I mean, you can get one but it'll add very little to your workflow if all you do is make beats.

Depends on how you work it into your workflow.

If it's difficult and tedious to set up with your DAW and you have to spin your chair 180 degrees to access it,
you'd probably be much better off without it.

If, on the other hand,
it's well-integrated with your DAW and you have the device front-and-center where you can always see and reach it,
there's a great chance that it will be indispensable.

One of the reasons I went with REAPER as my main DAW is that it has fantastic support for the MCU Pro
written by an outstanding third-party developer who goes by the username Klinke.

The value in each of these control surfaces comes mostly from how well they're integrated with your software rather than in the cost of their moving parts.
Because of that, YMMV drastically depending on your DAW of choice.
Pro Tools, Cubase, and REAPER each have numerous control surfaces that work fantastically with them (several are pictured above).
Live has its own specific control surfaces (Launchpad, Push, etc.) that work really well for it.
Control surface support for FL Studio and Reason feels a little bit forced by comparison, as their flexibility ends up making it difficult to map controls in a consistent and useful manner.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back