Imac running out of cpu with Pro Tools 11

crimsonhawk47

So I decided my set up is going to be using Maschine inside of Pro Tools. I usually use logic or just the regular Maschine software.

I'm starting to notice some serious cpu issues in Pro Tools 11. I am using native instruments stuff (I have komplete) but I'm usually only using two or 3 before it starts freaking out.

Here are my specs.

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 Gb 1333 MHz DDR3

It's the 21.5 Inch if that somehow matters.

Should I upgrade ram, processor, or both?

I'd probably upgrade the RAM first - it's cheap and easy to do. Upgrading the CPU on an iMac however...it's not totally impossible, but it wasn't really meant to be done. There are instructions online on how to do it if you want to try, but unless you're pretty experienced with electronics, I probably wouldn't even think about it. That said, that i5 should really take you pretty far.

Ya, it sounds like that's more of a pain. Here's the interesting thing though.

I checked my system usage on my last session which had A Native Instruments Pre Bass, 3 different Session Strings plugins, and the Maschine plugin I was talking about earlier. This same song was running fine the other day. Oddly enough, the cpu usage given by the System usage window was at 13% and the memory seemed capped out at 70%. It's like it was never going above that.

Well today I open it up with similar stats on the system usage today. But when it gets past the audio sample I used for the track and the actual beat comes in, all of a sudden my memory shoots from 13% to 100% then back down to 13%.

I'm aware that PT11 has dynamic processing that allows it to only focus on plugins when they are being played, but this was working just fine the other day.

Both days I have run PT11 without anything open, as I think even having ONE thing open messes everything up. I'm just wondering what could be different between the days. Day 1, when I made the beat, I even closed it and reopened it later, so it's not because I opened it a different time...

Back