I Need Help Finding Amp For Passive Monitors

Still_learning

I recently bought a set of Vintage Tannoy PBM-8 monitors, I have a cheap pioneer receiver to power them but I know it's crap I like the speakers and want an amp that's gonna feed these vintage monitors what they need.

I'm having trouble finding something that's not gonna blow the speakers or under power them specs for the speakers are posted below if anyone can get me a link to a good amp that will match up with these decently I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

SPECS:
The Tannoy PBM-8 speakers have a frequency response of 45 hertz to 25 kilohertz (-10 decibel at 33 hertz), when allowing for +/- 3 decibel. The crossover frequency for the speakers has been measured at 1.9 kilohertz, and at their peak power they can handle 125 watts.

Hope that is enough info

Last edited by a moderator:
I have those speakers (but currently not using); good stuff. As you know, you can use a home stereo amp, but you will be subject to any "coloration" that that particular amp gives.

I have used decent home stereo (Onkyo), as well as dedicated power amps from Ashly, Alesis, and Hafler. No problems-- the main thing is clean power and getting to know the sound of your speakers in your particular room.

Listen to them with not only your own music, but some reference material that you are very familiar with.

GJ

Ok that is good advice I currently have a 100W per channel pioneer receiver, which is giving them good power but it is extremely colored, far from a flat response. I think I might have found what I need for them on Amazon. I'm gonna look into some more stuff see if I can find any info on what amp to get for these, read other forums and what-not.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
No problem bro; if you look on ebay or around some of the forums, you can find one of those power amps mentioned above (used) pretty inexpensively.

GJ

Back