First monitors, M Audio BX5a?

Nasir33149

So I wanna buy my first monitors and I was thinking about M Audio BX5a. I can see a lot of producers are using those and people say they're are really reliable and quality monitors and the price is affordable ;) Any advices?

They're fine in the price range. In time you'll prob want more accurate ones. Look into the Alesis m1's to.. (similar price point) Those are very similar in features but IMO have a more accurate representation.

I myself, have not had the best luck with m-audio products. Had an Delta 1010 interface go down on me. Luckily it was still under warranty. But I was without an interface for 6 weeks.

After a 3 hour monitor listening session, I decided to buy a pair of BX8a which at the time were 499.99 each. Just days after the warranty expired the woofer driver died. I called my Guitar Center and talked to the store manager, and he replaced them for me. It's a good idea to get an extended warranty from whoever you buy them from.
Just my 2 cents, ;)

I think the yamaha hs80's could also be taking into consideration for the same price, well actually a hundred or two more.

just bought some bx5 d2 monitors and they sound great , crisp high but the low lack a bit in the very low frequncies, suggest to get some headphone with it so you can hear the deep low bass , i use myself some sony mdr-xb300 and they work great and you can have them for less than 50 $ on ebay .

What are you using them for?

Beatmaking. Yeah... they're fun for making beats, and general playback of your favorite music.

If you're mixing your beats... don't do it. The amount of back and forth needed with producing on these monitors for me started to get overwhelming. I owned a pair. I replaced them with yamaha HS50's and my mixes thanked me.

Granted... you can mix on anything once you learn them. But... I personally feel there are other monitors that make your job a little easier. IMO, it's best to get monitors that are accurate from the jump. That way... you don't have to focus on some pre-conceived notion of what accurate is, and then figure out how to get that on your BX5s through backwards engineering. Instead... you can do things the right way and mix by hearing the accurate sound directly. Just my opinion.

If I could do it again... i'd probably look at the Equator D5's also. But I don't feel like selling these off and losing money on EBay lol. Plus... I'm already mixing well on them.

I'd put Rockit 5s above those(not that I'm even a fan of Rockit 5s). Same price.

If you could stretch a little more($450 USD)for a pair of Mackie MR8s you're alot less likely to need to replace them a year down the line because you've 'outgrown them". Can't speak for MR5s never heard them, but would think if they're anything like the 8s, they'd be the best option in your price range.

Back