Would this Interface/Microphone be good for me?

Aerion

Hi.

I've been looking into getting an audio interface and a decent microphone for recording vocals, guitar and whatnot for a while now, and I want to ensure I get things that will be of the best value for me.
I'm running FL Studio 11 on Windows 8 64-bit, using an M-Audio Axiom MK2 61 and Launchpad S, and I run a lot of third-party Kontakt libraries, as well as ridiculous amounts of synths like Massive, Reaktor, Harmor, etc.
I'm getting tired of having issues with the ASIO4ALL drivers and getting latency from all the crap I have in my projects, and I want an interface that will get the job done and be reliable.

For the interface, I'm looking at the Scarlett 6i6 Focusrite because I've heard it's a very decent interface for it's price(around $315 from what I've seen)
And I figured I'd get the 6i6 just so I've already got the extra inputs/outputs for if I ever need them.

For the microphone, I don't want anything that is 'professional studio quality', but I want something that will give out at least decent quality, and clarity.
For the past however long, I've literally just used an old Turtle Beach Head-set mic, which has terrible quality, and picks up ludicrous amounts of background noise, which I really don't want.
A friend recommended the Blue Yeti and I can pick that up for less than $150.

Would these be suitable for what I want?
If you need any more info, I'm happy to provide it.
I want to make sure I'm getting things that will be beneficial to me.
:)

Hey Aerion,

The reason AISO4ALL might be causing you problems could be because you are loading too many plugins and don't have enough ram on your windows system to handle the bulk load of the session/project. Even though you purchase an audio interface this problem might still occur. If the ram is not the problem it might be the actual AISO4ALL settings. Try adjusting the buffer settings until the problem is resolved. As far as the scarlet interface... Its a decent piece of equipment for the price tag. A few of my friends own it and have no problems at all with it. Mic wise it all depends on what you need it for. I currently own a Baby Blue Bird Condenser Mic for tracking vocals/instruments (around $300) and a Sennheiser e835 handheld dynamic for when I just want to track ideas or for live venues. (arround $100) If you are getting background noise with your turtle beaches get ready to hear everything with a pro mic. You might want acoustically treat the area in which you want to record or invest in a isolation/diffusion device which attaches to your mic stand. Pretty much a mobile "vocal booth".

I hope I was able to help you on your journey!
Take Care
GS Neech

Hi GS_Neech!
Thank you for you reply!

I have 32GB of RAM available, and I get the issues even when using less than 8 of the most basic, native plug-ins.
And I've had issues with ASIO from day one, including it constantly crashing for no reason, and taking up to 2 hours to finally reset, regardless of what I do.
An interface has been high on my list for a while, as well, and testing out a friends, I had no issues whatsoever, so I'm willing to take the leap.
:)

I want the microphone primarily for recording vocals(both my own and a couple of friends who have good voices), but I'd also record guitar from time to time.
I've heard of the Baby Blue Bird, it was among the top 3 I was looking at.
Are you happy with it, and what is the quality of recording with it?

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

probing question then statement

are you currently using the on-board soundcard for your computer?

ASIO4ALL was only ever designed to provide a better set of drivers for mob-based soundcards. It is not meant to be the ultimate driver for every soundcard.

So get yourself that external soundcard you are talking about and install it's ASIO drivers then retest everything

then report back if you still have issues

The Blue Bird Mic is my go to mic as of right now. The recording quality is outstanding! My clients are always satisfied with the recording quality so if you can afford it purchase it. You will not be disappointed at all. Plus it an all around great mic for instrument recording as well.

Good Luck,
GS Neech

Back