wheres the best place to put my computer. elevated or the ground

S

skabeats

i was just wondering where is the best place to put my tower, on the ground on a desk.my other ? is can somone tell me some good advice on how to take care of my computer how to c lean it, is it alright near a heater/ac vent.. thanks

i like it somewhere up high, this way whenever i need to hook up wires or install something into my computer, i dont have to crawl down under my desk to do it, i can just pull out my computer on my desk from against the wall and be able to do all that sitting in my chair.

to clean your computer, you can get a can of 'compressed air'. its especially made for cleaning computers basically by releasing a can of pressured air out to clean up the dust inside the computer.

dont put it by the heater/ac when its being used as a heater, this might cause overheating. as for where to put it, it really doesnt matter. i have mine down on the ground next to my desk. this way all the cables can run behind the desk. and for cleaning the compressed air is the way to go.

People who keeps their computers on the ground will come across many problems. Gravity is your first enemy because it makes all the dust, animal hair, and dirt in the room end up on the floor which then gets sucked up into the computer. Frequent dusting inside your computer will be needed to keep it from getting too hot. Especially intel chips get slow if they get hot.

Whenever I see a box on the ground, it is usually covered in scuff marks because it ends up getting kicked. If the machine is turned on and the box is kicked, it can permanently damage your hard drives. Inside the drives there is an arm that carried the laser. It only locks into the bay when the unit is off. Especially when it is reading/writing, if it is jarred, the laser can scrape against the plates inside the drive and leave scrapes and scratches all over the drive. This usually results in hard drive failure. Hitting the machine out of anger will do the same thing.

If you are somewhere where there can be water, putting a computer on the floor is not a good idea.

I would recommend not having it on the ground..especially on a thick carpet..Since your ventalation usually comes from under the front grill of your computer case.

my tower is on the ground but i keep it off to the side where noone goes normally, and all the openings for fans have dust filters.

just a note: hd's use microscopic magnets not lasers. optical drives (cd/dvd) use lasers tho but a sudden jolt only affects the integrity of the data if the cd/dvd drive is burning something at the time of the jolt.

hollip3020 said:
my tower is on the ground but i keep it off to the side where noone goes normally, and all the openings for fans have dust filters.

just a note: hd's use microscopic magnets not lasers. optical drives (cd/dvd) use lasers tho but a sudden jolt only affects the integrity of the data if the cd/dvd drive is burning something at the time of the jolt.

microscopic? those things are strong as hell. I took apart a 1gb drive just to kill the curiosity. As soon as I held it in my hand, paper clips and staples started flying @ me. Really!

Canned air is your friend. Keep things clean...a heat-sink does you no good if it's caked in dust. I usually avoid the floor for that reason, but it can work. Make sure to clean your filters as regularly as everything else...the filters will restrict airflow into the case if they are dirty enough.

I too have disected hard drives, and they do use microscopic electromagnets (the read/write heads). There are also larger magnets which are very strong - these are for balancing the arm when it rotates, often at high speeds. They're also part of the location mechanism - the part of the arm assembly which is between the magnets has a solenoid on it, which creates various magnetic fields and "pushes" against the bigger magnets to move the arm.

Last edited:
If the read/write head on the Hard Drive makes contact with the plates inside the drive, you will suddenly begin to see bad sectors appear on the Drive. This is caused by Hitting/Kicking/Moving/ Jarring the computer while it is on. That is all I'm saying.

audiotecnicality said:

I too have disected hard drives, and they do use microscopic electromagnets (the read/write heads).

oh...like an old school cassette deck. Sorry...wasn't thinking/paying attention.

my pc is slightly eleveated off the ground a few inches. no matter where you put your computer you must clean it otherwise you will have problems. all it takes is 5 minutes and a can of air about 5 times a year and you good. and never put your pc somewhere where it can have airflow blocked that would make it get hot in like 15 minutes.

Back