Upgrade interface or preamp?

errba

Hey guys,

I've been using an mbox mini2 for the past 5 years, i recently purchased some bm6as monitors and now that i can finally hear the fidelity of my recordings, i realize it's time to upgrade.

If you were in my position, would you prioritize upgrading the interface or just simply focus on getting a nice preamp and better microphone? I typically only use 1 input at a time.

I'm using a mac pro, so i was looking into the apogee duet2 for clean pres and better conversion, but considering the apogee is only about 200$ more than i paid for the mbox mini i'm wondering how significant the difference will be....

Would i get better results just purchasing a nice preamp and running through the mbox?
some pres i was interested in were either the ua la-610 or an avalon 737, i just wanted an end all be all preamp that i could get a professional sound.

Was also possibly considering getting a lunchbox with different clones, i know how to soldier.

I'm doing dance and hiphop/rnb vocals.
I've got a sm57 and ksm27

does it make sense to spend more on a mic or a preamp?

Please let me know what you'd do!

Last edited:
Go with the Apogee One(skip the duet unless you're using two mics at once)
buy used you'll save a lot of cash

but don't go through Craiglist
Amazon has a 30 Day return policy

I brought My Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 used for $89.00 (well it was like new) Reg. Price $149

Go with the Rode NT1-A or the Audio-Technica AT4040 Microphone

you didn't give a budget but if go with Ag. One saving you money
and want a great Mic
Try out the Rode NTK

if you can I would purchase a Modified Microphone
Michael Joly Engineering / OktavaMod - Microphone Modifications and New Boutique Mics

blessings

Last edited:
I'd start with your acoustics first. If at all possible, build a good sounding recording environment for your mic.

I had an AKG Perception 100 and an MAudio Firewire 410. Low cost equipment, even at the time when I was using it, approx 4 years ago.

In my prior recording environment it sounded like crap. When I built a recording booth to spec (not just throwing shit up on the walls of a closet... I mean an actual isolation box)... it catapulted my recordings into a realm much closer to professional, and allowed me to mix my way into a borderline professional sound.

Change your room first, if at all possible.

If not... I'd probably second what fataltone said. Apogee + a good quality lower cost mic should do the trick. But still.. you're handcuffed to the sound of the area/room/space you're recording in.

OK. I see you have a Shure sm57. So- I can see kinda where you are going with the hip-hop (and) R+B sound I think.

I have good news for you. I think you can keep the Shure sm57. One thing you might consider is mixing mic's and in that way use one of my personal fave's... MIC MOD EFX. Runs about 49 at Musiciansfriend.com. MIC MOD is surprisingly good and detailed. It really does very well and effectively turn a good mic into any other of it's listed mic's. And I believe your mic is listed! Even if it is not listed to choose from, you can do as I did and select "Generic"; it works wonders on my Blue Encore 100. My Blue Encore isn't listed so I relunctantly set it on "Generic" and was pleased to find clearer results to the point that to me now it sounds clear. If you like, check out out my Soundcloud.com. Some fo them I have used MIC MOD efx but on Lord I'm Ready I did not. Just the Blue Encore 100 on Lord I'm Ready.
If you want a new audio interface then here is even more good news. The TC Electronic Impact Twin is phenomenal. It's preamps are very clean but have a slightly gritty smooth sound very unnoticed. Where the Impact Twin would shine for you (but it is Fireiwire) is that it's onboard compressor , d-esser, and EQ are that of an SSL sound to me. Phenomenal onboard effects. Although they must be used as analog hardware style and not maniplulated or changed after recording I find it really is the REAL DEAL, BIG DEAL. To me Impact Twins onboard effects sound like Panda-X SSL. They looks just like them and are white. You get this incredible SSL kinda gritty, sorta kinda, little bit subtle, CLASSY, -hip hop R+B preamp sound when all is said and done.

To me your Shure sm57 will so so so so, so shine with the Impact Twin. To me it would be a "hit". Like "that" Grammy sound.

Once again the Impact Twin is firewire. It can be pricey but it is high quality and it's drivers are actually very stable on the Impact Twin especially for me in January 2014.

Another option I think might be quality is the Motu. Although for your Shure sm57 I afraid I think it would get very sloppy and muddy in that combonation. It has more of a preamp sound if I'm not mistaken. but to me that would be too much of a preamp for the sm57. You want something clean like an SSL.

Another option is quite simply to "get" and SSL... PREAMP! but they run about 700-900 dollars. SSL is the top choice for Grammy producers. Once again hint; hint; hint (Impact Twin). It's straight from the Powercore facility and even the Impact Twin has a mini-Powercore onboard to run it's what I call secret version of the SSL in other words, - SSL. Although they may not be at ease to say it is SSL! I believe it is.

Impact Twin+ Shure sm57+ onboard effects (SSL style) = Grammy Award

I like my black card Syba firewire card I installed to my desktop. By the way I can't find a legit way to hook up firewire to my laptop. Those new adapaters don't work nor thee old.
_But for reference I go to "drivers" on my Pc - then to 1394 - then to the firewire selection and - then search for drivers already installed on computer. Finally select Legacy driver. or else it will probably freeze your computer like it always did to mine and you will need to do a clean install too!

Computer/System Properties/Device Manager/ EEEE 1394 Host Bus Controllers/Update Driver Software/Let me Choose from a list of drivers already on my computer/ LEGACY

It looks hard but now I can do it easily.

Last edited:
Back