Mixer EQ vs Vst EQ

jonathandaughty

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.. I've been researching and trying to learn about studio equipment. I know that mixers and audio interfaces serve a similar purpose, connecting external sound sources to your computer. If mixers have eq knobs onboard and most professional producers use mixers to eq elements in their beat. Is a analog/ digital mixer much more effective than using a vst effect to eq? Also when producers use a mixer to eq elements/tracks in their beats, how are the tracks routed from their daw into the mixer and back into the daw?

using eq on the mixer may be a better alternative to a vst

but there are too many variables to offer a definitive answer

what is the mixer brand?
do they use high grade components in their construction?
can you set the center freq of each eq band/slot?
are the eq slots fixed bandwidth or variable bandwidth?

using vst/built-in daw eq has many people accustomed to using fully parametric eq slots to do the work, most low end hardware mixers have fixed eq slots and so are a much more blunt tool to use when eq'ing. higher end gear replicate the expected functionality of daws/vst eq options

as for sending out and then back in you might use a multi-channel break-out card to do this similar to those used for passive summing boxes

Yep, no clear cut "this is better than that" answer to this. There are plugins that are much more intricate than any physical EQ ever can be, and there are console EQs that just sound right despite having only a few knobs to twist.

The thing I miss from analog desks is the ease of adjusting multiple channels quickly - it's usually just quicker to get results from being able to jump to another channel without thinking, or just using both hands to adjust two channels at a time.

Last edited:
Back