Macbook VS Pc for Music Production

coldasshonkey

Hey there I'm in the dilemma in deciding whether to buy a

2009 Macbook Pro 2.26GHZ, core 2 duo, 8gb ram, 160 GB HDD
<Over>
quad core amd a8,6gb ram,750gb HDD PC Laptop
[FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
These laptops are in my budget range that's why I'm settling for them if i had the money id gladly buy an i7 Imac,but that's not the case,sadly.

My main use if going to be for Music Production Iv always been a PC "Guy" however Mac has the option of Pro tools and logic which are superior over my typical Fruity Loops.Plus I plan to do some "Home recording" vocals and Pro Tools is industry standard. So If anyone would like to go ahead and express your opinions on this matter Id appreciate it.

Thank You.

You didn't say how much gh has pc's processor, but if it is the same or near maybe would be better to go with it because it is quad core and you have much storage on hdd. Also you can use pro tools on pc.

Go with the PC, that's a no brainer. Where did you get this idea that Pro Tools and Logic were superior? Logic vs FL Studio isn't even a debate, it's all about what you know better and what you're familiar with. Pro Tools targets a completely different audience over FL Studio because they both serve different fields of the industry better. Industry Standard doesn't mean anything, unless you're going to school getting a degree in Audio Engineering and plan on getting a job in a Studio as an Audio Engineer. If you do insist that Pro Tools is superior and do want to get it it's available on Windows just as it is on Mac.

well i plan to track vocals and I hate tracking vocals on FL just too many problems,and PT is "one of the best" daw's to use for recording and producing.Just seems like it has that "PT'S sound" Do you think the PC can handle tracking/producing in PT? I heard PT's runs horrible on PC unless it's really powerful.

Thanks

Laptops are less ideal in comparison to tower systems when it comes to production, idealy you should have a second hard drive just for audio and it's best not to use USB to do that because it unnecessarily taxes your CPU and it's messy, laptops are already desk hogs and adding peripherals only makes things worse.

Secondhand Macs tend to have a much higher resale value than PCs so you can end up with less bang for your buck, the other thing you don't want to do is get sucked in by the Mac Halo Effect, especially not when so many dual platform DAWs run better under Windows....now I am not saying that Macs don't have strong points, just that it's unwise to assume that Macs are the most ideal computer for music production....this idea seems to stem from the fact that big studios use Macs in conjunction with expensive Pro Tools DSP hardware which does all the heavy lifting instead of the computer, so it's a hell of a lot different to running say a native version of Pro Tools on an iMac where the Mac has to do all the heavy lifting.

Back