Headphone Distribution Suggestions?

MicroManiak

Hi,

I'm slowly building a studio for various recording projects that I'd like to do at home, and I've gotten to the point where I've needed to rent a headphone distribution system a couple of times now, so I think it's time to make the investment.

Here's where I'm at:
- iMac with Logic Pro X
- PreSonus FireStudio 8ch interface
- Some mics, a midi keyboard, etc.

I'm looking for a product that can distribute minimum 4 different mixes to 4 different headphones (I suppose that's minimum 4 inputs and 4 outputs). I'm also looking for something that can be expanded in the future (I suppose daisy-chained is the term?). Preferable something affordable, but I am one to save up a little bit extra to get a product I'm truly going to love and appreciate.

Anyone have experience with the following and/or have ideas for others?
- Behringer Powerplay PRO-XL (this is the closest thing that I've found, to what I've been looking for)
- PreSonus HP60 (this only has 2 inputs I believe... not ideal)

Thank you!

good luck with that - that requires a HW/SW mixer capable of taking all of your tracks and then mixing them to separate group busses for each individual headphone mix - not cheap by any stretch of the imagination

most headphone distribution systems in small/home studios work on the principle of one gets it you all get it: i.e. a single mix goes to all stations

you can get some hardware to break your headphone send into 4 or 8 separate feeds with individual volume controls but that is about it without spending a lot more than I think you have already invested in your setup

behringers headphone amps (mini 4, rack 4, rack 8) are good as are the samson, art, and many others at the same level - expect to pay from $100-$500 for simple to 8 channel systems

Thanks for your quick response bandcoach! I guess what I had in mind was that I'd be doing much of the headphone mixing work digitally in my DAW and was looking for some kind of hardware with a bunch of outputs. I'm realizing now that the FireStudio that I have has 4 stereo general outputs that I could probably use for exactly this purpose :)

Back