Get audio interface or a mac?

pamjadi

Hey,

I wanted to know how's the internal soundcard of macbooks doing in terms of production?
I'm using ASIO4ALL driver on my windows 7 laptop with ableton
I have read all over the internet that audio interface is not needed unless you want to connect an instrument for recording purpose.
But the thing is when it comes to mixing the track in the final stage the sound I'm getting from my DAW is totally different
from what I'm getting of the final track (definition and volume of tracks and the characteristics of the sounds).
It's more natural sounding when I use my internal sound card without the ASIO drivers but lots of latency comes up and makes it totally unusable.

So I have saved some cash, Is macbook's internal soundcard fine for me?

Here are my options:

1. Get a USB Sound interface and use it on my windows laptop.
2. Save some more and get a macbook, It seems better for me to pay for a new laptop if I won't need any interface with it

I appreciate the help guys

Core Audio for Mac is good, but thats not what your problem is going to be. You can get all the audio quality upgrading equipment you want but if you say you are getting a different sound from your bounce then you are getting from your DAW when your mixing. Its not your sound card, its probably room acoustic issues, mixing on headphones issues, etc...

Regardless what operating system you use, mac or PC, you are still going to need to make sure your other equipment is good for accurate recording/printing. (studio monitors + interface or VERY high end mixing headphones which would ALSO benefit from being ran through an interface)

In the end you are going to need an interface if you're serious, regardless of Pc or Mac.

But on this side of things..a new macbook is easily 2-3 grand. An entry level interface can be 100 bucks.. It shouldn't be a 'this or that' scenario. Get an interface and some monitors instead maybe.

Last edited:
Core Audio for Mac is good, but thats not what your problem is going to be. You can get all the audio quality upgrading equipment you want but if you say you are getting a different sound from your bounce then you are getting from your DAW when your mixing. Its not your sound card, its probably room acoustic issues, mixing on headphones issues, etc...

Regardless what operating system you use, mac or PC, you are still going to need to make sure your other equipment is good for accurate recording/printing. (studio monitors + interface or VERY high end mixing headphones which would ALSO benefit from being ran through an interface)

In the end you are going to need an interface if you're serious, regardless of Pc or Mac.

But on this side of things..a new macbook is easily 2-3 grand. An entry level interface can be 100 bucks.. It shouldn't be a 'this or that' scenario. Get an interface and some monitors instead maybe.

Hi,

Well I'm using headphones for mixing and mastering of my sound, but the thing is I have tested this once or twice
I made a light project containing like 4 tracks of sounds, used my cards original driver and the sound was very close
to what I hear on my rendered audio file. but the ASIO driver changes the sound. So do you still think the soundcard is not the problem? any settings can effect this? + what audio interface do you recommend? are entry level interfaces any good? like how about Scarlett 2i2 or M-Audio M-Box? or anything cheaper? I can pay for a new macbook since I can use it in my graphic studio too but for the sound, the cheaper the better.

leaving aside the acoustic issues in your mix environment, the thing is newer macs will not ship with audio jacks so you will still need to get an interface

better to spring for an interface now

I recommend getting an Audio Interface. I love PC and can't imagaine converting to a primitive overrated inferior viruii for a computer. PC or get to the kitchen and learn to cook.

Some audio interfaces comes with a DAW. Very valuable for a quick start and learning for a year or testing out a DAW.
http://www.deals2buy.com/stores/shopping.hp.com/deals

I bought my DEll Xps 8500 for 900 dollars 2 years ago. Its a 3.9ghz 12 gb RAM GT640 graphics. USB 3.0. It was 38 percent off in august or septermber. Out the door with windows 7 Pro I paid 1200.

My HP envy quad edition 3.4ghz, 8 GB RAM, GT740, USB 3.0 or something like that was 1000 out the doe with 3 years accidental.

If I where you I'd get a UAD audio interface it comes with its own plugins on the device itself which saves resources on your computer def worth checking out

Back